This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 13 May 22, 12:57 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
ctwist

Wrong skin version offered
Posted: 12 May 22, 16:37

Click to reply to this thread Reply
The latest version of Tiger is 3.16.1. This is compatible with jAlbum 18 and later.

If I open jAlbum 17.1.5, it offers to upgrade Tiger to 3.16.1. Presumably, if I install this upgrade, I will have compatibility problems.

jAlbum should not offer to upgrade a skin to an incompatible version.

If you want to really fix this, jAlbum should offer the latest version of Tiger that is compatible with 17.1.5.
JeffTucker

Re: Wrong skin version offered
Posted: 12 May 22, 17:58   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

As a halfway measure, it would at least be good if the core warned you: "This version of Tiger requires jAlbum version 22, which is newer than the version you have. Should I install the skin update anyway?"
ctwist

Posted: 12 May 22, 23:32   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

No, I don't like this alternative suggestion.

The automatic skin upgrade should be guaranteed to improve the user's experience. We don't want to offer an upgrade that may cause problems.

If a user wants to experiment with an incompatible version of Tiger, he can manually download the version(s) that interest him. The typical (i.e. ill-informed) user should not be enticed into a bad choice.
davidekholm

Posted: 13 May 22, 12:57   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

I think the right approach is to add a warning: This version requires jAlbum X, in case the user is running an older version than jAlbum X.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums