This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 14 Jan 22, 20:06 Last Post By: jret Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jret

Neptune: puzzled by display
Posted: 14 Jan 22, 18:53

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I'm guessing that creating a responsive skin that works correctly on any display is somewhere between a nightmare and a royal pain in the a$$ so I'm somewhat impressed that the jAlbum responsive skins that I'm familiar with work as well as they do.

That said, I've observed a couple of perplexing oddities:
Pages that have copyright and credit at the bottom ...
• display correctly on laptop and larger screens
• display correctly on iPad Pro w/large screen regardless of orientation
• display correctly on iPhone SE when in portrait orientation
• display goes wonky on iPhone SE when rotated to landscape - the copyright seems correct but the credit enlarges several point sizes

Since the iPad & iPhone both use iOS it seems that the display behavior should be similar, but not so.

I haven't tested extensively and certainly haven't checked on any Android phones but it makes me wonder if this is a normal (or expected) behavior or can it be corrected. Not a huge problem since my personal preference is to view photo albums on the largest display possible but I realize that a significant number of visitors to my sites do use smart phones.

Possibly related - titles display correctly (i.e. in line with) between icons in each of the upper corners except on the iPhone when the title drops to a line below the icons, regardless of orientation. When in landscape orientation it appears there's enough space for icons & titles to remain on the same line but the titles always default to a lower line. Is this avoidable? Am I doing something wrong with formatting? fonts? Again, not a big deal - just curious.
JeffTucker

Re: Neptune: puzzled by display
Posted: 14 Jan 22, 19:53   in response to: jret in response to: jret
Correct
jret wrote:
• display goes wonky on iPhone SE when rotated to landscape - the copyright seems correct but the credit enlarges several point sizes

I don't have an iOS device to test with, but it certainly doesn't do that in Chrome or Firefox on Android, and it behaves as expected when viewed with the iPhone simulators in Chrome and Firefox on the desktop.

Even if it does do something weird, there's not much I could do about it. The skin isn't providing different code for those lines depending upon the device. It's just standard, fully valid CSS, identical for every display. So if a browser on an iPhone is showing one line with the wrong font size, there's no command that says, "No, I really do want you to show this text at 11px, so stop doing whatever it is you're doing!"

Possibly related - titles display correctly (i.e. in line with) between icons in each of the upper corners except on the iPhone when the title drops to a line below the icons, regardless of orientation. When in landscape orientation it appears there's enough space for icons & titles to remain on the same line but the titles always default to a lower line. Is this avoidable?

It does that on any display that's less than 500px in either dimension to avoid some very ugly line-wrapping and consequent failure of centering on small displays when there are multiple icons (external link, home, up one level, fullscreen, music, etc.) and anything more than a very brief title.

The script could be smarter about it, and do a lot of extensive checking to see whether the line-wrapping is occurring or not. The script would have to start querying the page to find out exactly what's happening in a given situation - such things are not predictable in advance. In short, it would involve many, many lines of code, and a lot of processing on the fly, to make the adjustment only when absolutely necessary.

And if the script did that, you might actually end up with a different-appearing title bar on two pages of the same album - one page with the title offset to avoid collisions, but another page with the title at the very top.

Finally, no visitor is spending time lovingly gazing at the title bar on an index page, so there's a limit to how much mucking about it's worth. ;)
jret

Re: Neptune: puzzled by display
Posted: 14 Jan 22, 20:06   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Your explanation is definitely an eye-opener and certainly not unexpected. As I suspected it's a bit of a pain-in-the-a..

I think what I find odd is how the iPhone iOS reacts slightly differently than the iPad iOS - I thought that the two operating systems were essentially the same, but of course that can't be entirely correct due to the differences in screen sizes. My iPhone is one of the smallest displays and my iPad Pro is the largest tablet screen that Apple currently has.

For the time being I will continue to build my photo albums to be best enjoyed on larger screens - anyone with a really small screen will have to either compensate or live with it.

Thanks for the insight.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums