This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 15 Oct 21, 09:11 Last Post By: Laza Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
MarkusD

Prevent screen saver to start during diashow
Posted: 12 Oct 21, 19:21

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

using:
jAlbum 25
Tiger Version 3.6.3
Windows 10
FireFox 93
Windows screen saver activation time: 5 minutes

• If you watch a video with for example VLC -> the screen saver will not activate itself after 5 minutes.
  • Watch a video on YouTube -> the screen saver will not activate itself after 5 minutes.
  • Watch a diashow in an album created with Tiger -> after 5 minutes the screen saver will activate itself.

Any chance that Tiger can prevent that the screen saver starts?

TIA, Markus
Laza

Re: Prevent screen saver to start during diashow
Posted: 13 Oct 21, 08:13   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

I don't think an ordinary webpage can disable the screen saver. Naturally, Google + YouTube can work as they are the same company, and also native apps have the possibility to do that,
MarkusD

Posted: 14 Oct 21, 18:31   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza wrote:
I don't think an ordinary webpage can disable the screen saver. Naturally, Google + YouTube can work as they are the same company, and also native apps have the possibility to do that,
Hi Laza,

it's not only that YouTube is able to prevent the Windows Screen Saver to start, any other web page which plays a video or even a sound file (podcast for example) do prevent the Screen Saver from starting. And this works in all browsers. What I found is this:
https://w3c.github.io/screen-wake-lock/

And don't understand anything mentioned in this article. Maybe you do. Thanks.
JeffTucker

Posted: 14 Oct 21, 18:51   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

That's not quite the same thing. That's a utility to prevent a monitor from going into its "sleep" mode. I'll have to do some testing later (I'm not home), but I think that a slideshow in a Tiger album may already prevent a PC from going into its sleep mode.

The screensaver isn't the same animal. In fact, it's now considered a relic, left over from the days when a CRT or plasma display would get "burned in" if something was on there too long. In Windows these days, you really have to go hunting for the screensaver. It's still in there, but is disabled by default because it's not needed for anything.
MarkusD

Posted: 14 Oct 21, 19:24   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
That's not quite the same thing. That's a utility to prevent a monitor from going into its "sleep" mode. I'll have to do some testing later (I'm not home), but I think that a slideshow in a Tiger album may already prevent a PC from going into its sleep mode.

The screensaver isn't the same animal. In fact, it's now considered a relic, left over from the days when a CRT or plasma display would get "burned in" if something was on there too long.

Of course the screesaver is not needed today (to "save" a monitor), that is for sure. :-)

In Windows these days, you really have to go hunting for the screensaver. It's still in there, but is disabled by default because it's not needed for anything.
The windows screensaver is still (even in Windows 11) at the same place as in Windows 10, Windows 8 or Windows 7. But there's something else which is very important today. Security. One should activate the screensaver (even if you choose none of them) just to activate the option to lock the PC after that.

When I'm running a Tiger slideshow I also try to click the <Ctrl> key from time to time to prevent the screensaver to take over.

Maybe you are using the Windows PowerToys. There is a new tool there, called "Awake", which does exactly what I'm trying to say, preventing that Windows shuts down or switches of the monitor.
RobM

Posted: 14 Oct 21, 20:19   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

Doesn't Windows screensaver give you 'hot corners'. where you can start or stop the screen saver when your mouse is in the selected corner?
MarkusD

Posted: 14 Oct 21, 20:36   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
Doesn't Windows screensaver give you 'hot corners'. where you can start or stop the screen saver when your mouse is in the selected corner?
No, that seems to be a feature only available in "real" operating system like MacOS or Linux. ;-)

To me it is a mystery that the developer of that "Awake" tool hasn't just implemented a "hot corner"...
RobM

Posted: 14 Oct 21, 21:15   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:
RobM wrote:
No, that seems to be a feature only available in "real" operating system like MacOS or Linux. ;-)
Yet another reason to switch to a real OS ;)
To me it is a mystery that the developer of that "Awake" tool hasn't just implemented a "hot corner"...
Maybe try https://www.raymond.cc/blog/dont-sleep-prevent-windows-from-standby-shutdown-hibernate-and-restart/
Though I have no idea how reputable the software is - I have heard of Caffeine for Mac OS.
ronvanrossum

Posted: 15 Oct 21, 08:54   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

For macOS users I can recommend KeepingYouAwake https://keepingyouawake.app
Laza

Posted: 15 Oct 21, 09:11   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

Thanks, that's promising. However, today this is just an experimental feature, implemented only in a few browsers. Still, I could give it a try, perhaps later more browsers join.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums