This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 17 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 16 Jun 21, 10:19 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
AndreWolff

Upload problems with a weak WIFI connection
Posted: 10 Jun 21, 21:13

Click to reply to this thread Reply
jAlbum gives still problems with weak WIFI connections.
After 2 hours uploading I got this crash:
info.cqs.remotefs.RemoteFSException: 4: java.io.IOException: Pipe closed
	at info.cqs.remotefs.sftp.SftpAdapter.put(SftpAdapter.java:337)
	at info.cqs.remotefs.RemoteFSBean.put(RemoteFSBean.java:400)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at info.cqs.remotefs.RemoteFSBean$RemoteFSHandler.invoke(RemoteFSBean.java:516)
	at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy11.put(Unknown Source)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumManifest.write(AlbumManifest.java:127)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.UploadBean.uploadAlbum(UploadBean.java:752)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.JPublishWizard$PublishStep$19.run(JPublishWizard.java:2049)
Caused by: 4: java.io.IOException: Pipe closed
	at com.jcraft.jsch.ChannelSftp.put(ChannelSftp.java:551)
	at info.cqs.remotefs.sftp.SftpAdapter.put(SftpAdapter.java:332)
	... 10 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Pipe closed
	at java.base/java.io.PipedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at com.jcraft.jsch.Channel$MyPipedInputStream.updateReadSide(Channel.java:362)
	at com.jcraft.jsch.ChannelSftp.put(ChannelSftp.java:515)
	... 11 more
Next I started a new upload and I could upload the album correctly.
But next I changed some text and did a new make followed by an upload.
jAlbum started again uploading all images while nothing was changed in these images.
Another 2 hours upload time was indicated!

Edited by: AndreWolff on 10 Jun 2021, 21:43
davidekholm

Re: Upload problems with a weak WIFI connection
Posted: 11 Jun 21, 08:43   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Thanks for reporting André. It's interesting that it worked when you cancelled and retried, cause jAlbum's uploader already has retry mechanisms to retry. It seems like all resources aren't always released. Did you restart jAlbum before you made your second attempt?
AndreWolff

Posted: 11 Jun 21, 08:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Did you restart jAlbum before you made your second attempt?
Sorry I can’t remember that.

BTW I used here the last released jAlbum version with Windows 10.

Edit:

From later experiments I think the answer is NO,

Edited by: AndreWolff on 11 Jun 2021, 20:32
meldoyle

Posted: 13 Jun 21, 00:15   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Don’t think my problem is with WiFi. I updated the Tiger skin and made album. Firstly it did not maintain my settings and when I uploaded it messed all my albums online. I have reset all my settings as before but the album looks different online and now as I try to upload my albums online the program keeps crashing and closing down after only maybe 13mb upload. I must have restarted and re run the program 100 times and did the usual memory checks. Can anyone please help. I am running on a MacBook Pro 8mb ram
Keep in mind I had no problems until I upgraded the Tiger Skin last night
JeffTucker

Posted: 13 Jun 21, 02:01   in response to: meldoyle in response to: meldoyle

The skin has nothing whatsoever to do with uploading. Once the album build is finished, the skin's job is done. The jAlbum core does the uploading, no matter what skin you used. And all it's doing is copying the finished album from your PC to your server. Period. That's all it does.

After making an album, you should preview the results locally. If the album doesn't look right, why would you upload it? At that point, if the finished album isn't what you want, you should recover your backup copy of the project. You do have backups of your stuff, right? RIGHT?!

Of course, experimenting with a new skin release on your existing projects is never a good idea, anyway. When faced with a new release, you should create a little test project to see how things work out. If that's OK, the next step is to create a copy of an existing project, and try it with the new skin version.
AndreWolff

Posted: 13 Jun 21, 21:56   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

I tired it later again, but now I got another crash:
java.net.UnknownHostException: ssh.strato.com
	at java.base/sun.nio.ch.NioSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.jcraft.jsch.Util$1.run(Util.java:362)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
davidekholm

Posted: 14 Jun 21, 12:26   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
I tired it later again, but now I got another crash:
java.net.UnknownHostException: ssh.strato.com
	at java.base/sun.nio.ch.NioSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
	at com.jcraft.jsch.Util$1.run(Util.java:362)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

The error message could naturally be polished, but it simply says that there is no internet connection that can deliver a DNS lookup for that host.
If you've had an upload fail miserably due to connectivity failures, delete the "manifest.jmf" file on your second upload attempt before uploading again. Thais will ensure that jAlbum doesn't try to re-upload all files again. It will now instead compare all files locally and remotely and only upload the difference. The downside of deleting "manifest.jmf" will be that it triggers this slower file comparison and jAlbum won't be able to delete stale (no longer needed) files either. Once a successful upload is done, the manifest file is however recreated.
AndreWolff

Posted: 15 Jun 21, 15:43   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

{quote:title=davidekholm wrote:}{quote
If you've had an upload fail miserably due to connectivity failures, delete the "manifest.jmf" file on your second upload attempt before uploading again. Thais will ensure that jAlbum doesn't try to re-upload all files again. It will now instead compare all files locally and remotely and only upload the difference.
This is too complicated for users, why is the manifest file not deleted automatically by jAlbum if this happens?
davidekholm

Posted: 15 Jun 21, 17:10   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
{quote:title=davidekholm wrote:}{quote
If you've had an upload fail miserably due to connectivity failures, delete the "manifest.jmf" file on your second upload attempt before uploading again. Thais will ensure that jAlbum doesn't try to re-upload all files again. It will now instead compare all files locally and remotely and only upload the difference.
This is too complicated for users, why is the manifest file not deleted automatically by jAlbum if this happens?

There is then no internet connection to delete that file. One could delete it at the start of an upload though. I'll ponder on this...
JeffTucker

Posted: 15 Jun 21, 17:18   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I think every jAlbum license should come with a dish, and uploads should be handled by the jAlbum Stjärnan satellite, currently in geosynchronous orbit.
AndreWolff

Posted: 15 Jun 21, 17:31   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
There is then no internet connection to delete that file. One could delete it at the start of an upload though. I'll ponder on this...
Nice, but does this solve also the problem discussed above?
RobM

Posted: 15 Jun 21, 18:24   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
The root problem is poor wifi, maybe it would be better to count dropouts and after a few just stop the upload process. A message telling the user that uploading has been disabled until the network connection is changed or the computer is rebooted. That would solve the problem once and for all.

If you try to upload with two plastic cups and a piece of string, you should expect problems.
AndreWolff

Posted: 15 Jun 21, 20:08   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
The root problem is poor wifi, maybe it would be better to count dropouts and after a few just stop the upload process. A message telling the user that uploading has been disabled until the network connection is changed or the computer is rebooted. That would solve the problem once and for all.

If you try to upload with two plastic cups and a piece of string, you should expect problems.

Well jAlbum is a photo publishing system and if people are on holidays they make a lot of photos which they like to publish via jAlbum. But the wifi in hotels, B&Bs and campings are mostly weak, so a commercial firm for publishing photos should not neglect this problem, but should try to handle this as good as possible.
davidekholm

Posted: 15 Jun 21, 21:27   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

I've been checking the code and jAlbum should actually delete the manifest file just before uploading new files, just after deleting old files, so if there is an unrecoverable IO error during upload, there should be no manifest file left on the server that could potentially (if it's not updated) cause jAlbum to re-upload files again.
RobM

Posted: 15 Jun 21, 21:38   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

Well jAlbum is a photo publishing system and if people are on holidays they make a lot of photos which they like to publish via jAlbum. But the wifi in hotels, B&Bs and campings are mostly weak, so a commercial firm for publishing photos should not neglect this problem, but should try to handle this as good as possible.
Does a dedicated FTP application, like FileZilla, work 100% reliably? If yes, then when on poor wifi use that, if no, then why would you expect JAlbum to be any better?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums