Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 1 Apr 21, 19:58 Last Post By: JeffTucker
JeffTucker

Reorganized Skins Page
Posted: 25 Feb 21, 01:10
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
At my prodding, Anders has made some changes to the way the skins section of the site is organized.

• The Newest and Updated sections have been combined into a Newest releases section. One-stop shopping for the latest and greatest. :)
  • The Recently downloaded section is gone. This was supposedly counting downloads, but was picking up all sorts of search bot visits. In addition, someone Googling for Juicebox or FancyBox might have been led to the skin page, and then downloaded the skin, thinking he was getting a copy of the public domain script, rather than a jAlbum skin. (I strongly discourage naming a skin after its underlying script - it produces exactly this kind of confusion.)
  • The Most popular section is gone. This was counting "likes" for skins, with some weighting based on when they were "liked," but it wasn't conveying any useful information. The sample size was too small, and if people weren't using the jAlbum uploader, and weren't logged in when they did so, they never got prompted to "like" a skin.
  • There is now a Most used section, based on the albums that are added to users' profile pages. This is also somewhat unreliable, since many users don't list their albums on their profile pages at all, so their usage of skins is invisible. But it's better than what was there before.1
  • There is now an All A-Z section, for easy reference.
  • The old Flash skins have been deleted, even from the "legacy" skin section. All browsers now block Flash, so there's no reason for anyone to reinstall a Flash skin, even to examine its coding.

1 The coding for this hasn't actually been implemented just yet, but it will be.
JeffTucker

Re: Reorganized Skins Page
Posted: 17 Mar 21, 16:09   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
JeffTucker wrote:
  • There is now a Most used section, based on the albums that are added to users' profile pages. This is also somewhat unreliable, since many users don't list their albums on their profile pages at all, so their usage of skins is invisible. But it's better than what was there before.1

1 The coding for this hasn't actually been implemented just yet, but it will be.

It appears this was a lie. It appears that the Most used section is still just showing the bogus Recently downloaded data.
mrag

Posted: 1 Apr 21, 19:49   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Attachment jA-11.jpg (57.7 KB)
Attachment jA-12.jpg (17.8 KB)
I suspect I'm the first to point out this glaring embellishment on the web site. I assume it has to be related to the reorganization or Jeff and Andre have separate versions of Projector ;-)

And on that note:

Edited by: mrag on 01-Apr-2021 13:54

JeffTucker

Posted: 1 Apr 21, 19:56   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
I guess Laza figured that Projector wasn't getting enough traction, so....

But in your second screenshot, that's just Photoblogger showing up in both the Most used column, and the Newest releases column. Coincidence that it's in the same position on both.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums