This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 10 May 21, 13:47 Last Post By: JeffTucker
JeffTucker

Chaining options
Posted: 28 Mar 21, 15:14

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment chainOptions.png (27.8 KB)
I'm not a fan of directory chaining, but at least when restricted to sibling directories it produces less confusing navigation. There are users, however, who really do want the chaining to traverse the entire tree.

It would be nice if the user could choose no chaining, sibling chaining, or full tree chaining. To avoid skin breakage, it would need to be implemented as the current isChainDirectories(), but with a new "chain flavor" variable.

Proposed UI attached.

(This started elsewhere, but might get lost in the shuffle.)
JeffTucker

Re: Chaining options
Posted: 28 Mar 21, 20:32   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

BTW, this might also be a good time to fix a longstanding error. If directories are chained, and there is a web location anywhere in the project, and the skin is set not to produce slide pages for web locations, navigation errors occur, with a "next" arrow leading to a slide page that doesn't exist. Try it with Minimal.

ETA: Thread locked to prevent yet another derailment. ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 29 Mar 21, 13:28   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Yes, I'm leaning towards offering these 3 alternatives for chaining. I'll also try to address that bug.
JeffTucker

Posted: 6 May 21, 00:28   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

The three chaining options are now present in the latest jAlbum 24 beta.

The navigation error appears to have been cured, but only when Full tree chaining has been chosen. It still occurs when Siblings only chaining is selected.
JeffTucker

Posted: 7 May 21, 20:45   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Moving this thread to Bug Reports. The chaining error still occurs in jAlbum 24b8 if Siblings only chaining is selected. Works correctly with Full tree chaining.
JeffTucker

Posted: 7 May 21, 20:54   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Attachment chainError.zip (202.2 KB)
A zipped-up project to illustrate. Make the album with sibling chaining and go through the slides - you get a 404. No error with full tree chaining or no chaining.
davidekholm

Posted: 7 May 21, 23:17   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks for putting this together Jeff. I'll investigate.
davidekholm

Posted: 8 May 21, 13:01   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

JeffTucker

Posted: 8 May 21, 14:43   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Attachment chainError.zip (284.0 KB)
Getting closer. But full tree chaining fails completely if there's a webloc as the first or last object in a folder. Zipped sample project attached.

ETA: To be specific, in this test album, if you start with the slides of F1, the chaining doesn't take you to F2. If you start with the slides in F2 and try to use "previous," you get a 404 when you try to go back to F1.
davidekholm

Posted: 10 May 21, 10:22   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

You have an awesome attention to details Jeff! Thank you for spotting. Now fixed in b11.
JeffTucker

Posted: 10 May 21, 13:47   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Seems to be fixed in b11, but I'll bet there's some situation still lurking out there....

This is a very old bug, but once I shut off all chaining in my skins, I just stopped worrying about it (and it was never a problem in my lightbox skins, since those automatically ignore weblocs). But having reintroduced chaining in my "slide page" skins, it all came back to me.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums