This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 2 Apr 21, 14:56 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Lionel2

Improvements for the skin "Responsive"?
Posted: 3 Mar 21, 22:20

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi everybody,

I bought jAlbum mostly to use the skin Responsive for several reasons. First, it is truly reponsive gallery maker, while some others (e.g. Minimal) don't adapt correctly the images to various viewports, while Responsive is perfect. Second reason, Responsive doesn't crop the vertical (portrait) photos, it gives clean summary pages while Tiger gives ugly thumbnail arrangements because the lines of thumbnails aren't correctly arranged, the reason being that vertical (portrait) thumbs are far bigger than horizontal (landscape) ones. And other skins crop rectangular images to square, which is a nonsens, this ruins the work of the photographer. Finally, the galleries I am doing with Responsive look more like this I did before with the old french Galerie software (Mac only) than is with other skins or with other softwares.

However, improvements of this skin would be deeply needed:
1) It would be great to have left and right arrow buttons to go forward and back inside the gallery when viewing the big (full screen) images. Best being to add rollover buttons; these could be placed along the left and right side or under the image, the choice depending of the viewport orientation. For the time, I understand that you can only go forward or close the image, returning to the thumbs' page.
2) It would be great to add captions, especially when the big images (full screen) are shown. Let me give an example: if I show a series of photos of architectures of a town, I would appreciate to indicate to the viewer which building is shown, when it has been built etc, otherwise a big part of the interest of the slide show is lost.

Do somebody could give me suggestions to add these functions? I precise that I'm only a photographer, not a webmaster.
JeffTucker

Re: Improvements for the skin "Responsive"?
Posted: 3 Mar 21, 23:07   in response to: Lionel2 in response to: Lionel2

Attachment search1.png (3.5 KB)
Attachment search2.png (12.5 KB)
Attachment search3.png (26.0 KB)
OK, let's take this one thing at a time....

Responsive is an orphan skin. Its developer is no longer around, and it hasn't had a substantive update in years. It's a Javascript beast, which means that it's not very amenable to tinkering by someone other than its author. In short, changes to Responsive are extremely unlikely.

Almost all of the current skins are fully responsive. It's easier to list the ones that aren't - Classic Aligned 2, Mirage, NoPages, ShowLite, and Shuffle. Minimal is mostly responsive, but if you want the same look and feel, but with true responsiveness, take a look at Atom.

Most skins, including Tiger, have the option to crop thumbnails to a fixed shape, or not. They each handle thumbnails with different aspect ratios differently. Some try to make a regular grid out of them, but others use a fully-justified, "masonry" layout. To find the setting in any skin, choose that skin, click the little magnifying glass icon at upper right (see search1), type in "fixed" and click on one of the search hits (see search2), and you will be led directly to the setting for it (see search3).

To be continued....
JeffTucker

Posted: 3 Mar 21, 23:16   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Next, navigation. Virtually all of the other skins provide typical slide image navigation, with arrows either overlayed on the image when you mouse-hover, or at the edges of the viewport, or in a navigation control bar somewhere on the page. Responsive is probably the only one that doesn't. And almost all of the other skins provide a smooth transition from one image to the next, rather than having it suddenly pop into view.

Captioning, same story - virtually all of the other skins provide extensive captioning options: image title, image comment, both, file name, whatever.

Beyond the bundled skins, I've got a whole demo site of my skins that you're welcome to wander around:

https://jefftucker.net/

Just one quick example, a lean skin aimed at the photographer who doesn't want a lot of screen clutter to detract from his images:

https://jefftucker.net/pluto/light/

But that's just one out of dozens.
Lionel2

Posted: 7 Mar 21, 22:39   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Hi Jeff,

First I thank you for having taken the time to give me a detailed answer and links. What I'm trying to do is to create new pages of my website which should imitate my first galleries, which were done with an old French software, Galerie (Mac only). The result was easy to obtain and very beautiful, but not at all responsive, example here:
http://lionel.colbere.free.fr/turkey/turkey.html

I would be happy to find a script or a CSS code to adapt the images to any viewport but I did'nt find any.
Therefore I tried to adapt the images giving them some ratio to the viewport's width, the ratio being different for vertical and horizontal photos. This worked exquisitely on the summary pages but not very well on the images, especially on smartphones. More, everything must be coded manually. I did some pages that way:
http://lionel.colbere.free.fr/carnavalnoisiel/carnavalnoisiel.html

Therefore I thought that jAlbum and the skin Responsive could be a good solution. More, I noticed that this association works perfectly even on ancient Macs (my main Macs work either on macOS 10.5 or 10.6 because they are running ancient graphic 2D and 3D softwares through Rosetta, I only use later OS to go on the web or for very specific photo improvements.
I talked you earlier about the only problems that appear with the Responsive skin. it's a pity if it is somewhat rigid, very difficult to modify.

It's true that Atom could be a solution, but only if it could be possible that the summary page (which shows the thumbnails) could:
i) show a regular grid (it does) and
ii) DO NOT crop the thumbnail images, they must stay framed exactly like the photo capture was. In your album "Mürren" the second photo "The Mönch" which is a vertical (portrait) image is heavily cropped as an horizontal (landscape) view, which destroys the framing and composition made by the photographer.

Before my purchase of jAlbum, I tried VisualLightBox. It's not bad, but again, the vertical images are heavily cropped in the thumbnails. I succeeded to overcome this inconvenience with a manual reconstruction of the vertical thumbnails in Photoshop, as shown here:
http://lionel.colbere.free.fr/appart_jean_moulin/appart_jean_moulin.html

But I don't like this thick white frames around the pictures, it's not elegant.

I will try Atom in a very small gallery and return to you with my observations. If there could be a solution of my problem it would be great.

Lionel
JeffTucker

Posted: 7 Mar 21, 22:57   in response to: Lionel2 in response to: Lionel2

Please read my post again. With every one of my skins, you can choose to crop the thumbnails to a fixed aspect ratio, or show them in their native aspect ratio. You are never forced to crop the thumbnail images.

Here is my personal album, with many of the same images of Mürren, using the Pluto skin:

https://jefftucker.org/travels/murren/

Some of the skins will use a regular grid, instead of a fully-justified thumbnail layout, but that is considered somewhat old-fashioned, and is out of favor. But here are a couple of examples that I just put together quickly.

First, Jupiter, with non-cropped thumbnails in a rigid grid:

(Demo album removed)

Second, Saturn, with non-cropped thumbnails, but in a natural flow:

(Demo album removed)

The other difference is that Jupiter produces separate slide pages, whereas Saturn produces lightbox slide images.

With either one, you can change the borders, the spacing, the shadows, the sizes, etc., etc.

These are all fully responsive, on everything from a large monitor to a phone.
JeffTucker

Posted: 8 Mar 21, 02:16   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

And the same approach, with Tiger:

(Demo album removed. A poster who disappears for four weeks clearly doesn't actually care about having his questions answered.)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums