This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 21 Feb 21, 14:40 Last Post By: JeffTucker
cselwyn

Image flipping and regions
Posted: 19 Feb 21, 21:38

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I have many images on which have XMP region data for people's faces. However the images were taken about 130 years ago on glass plates and when they were scanned we didn't realise that many of the images need to be flipped. So I use jAlbum's flipping capability to do that horizontal flipping. Unfortunately, that means that the images face region data is not correct any longer in the images that end up in the album.

Is there any chance that jAlbum could recognise that an image has been flipped and transform the region data appropriately in the final image?
JeffTucker

Re: Image flipping and regions
Posted: 19 Feb 21, 21:48   in response to: cselwyn in response to: cselwyn

(Thread moved. This is not a bug. It's a request for a feature to rescue one user from himself. ;) )

How many of these are there? And how many users are likely to encounter a similar situation? I think I would just retreat to the original scans and enter new face tags.
RobM

Posted: 19 Feb 21, 21:51   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

It isn’t just flipping, or mirroring, but cropping the image too. Any of those will result in the regions moving from their targets.
davidekholm

Posted: 19 Feb 21, 23:23   in response to: cselwyn in response to: cselwyn

How many images are we talking about? I figure it might not be that hard to handle mirroring the face regions too...
cselwyn

Posted: 20 Feb 21, 00:29   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Probably not that very many actually... I'm sure I could identify and redo them... I just thought it might be a "nice to have" and it seems to me that it would be the "right" thing for jAlbum to do.

Chris
davidekholm

Posted: 21 Feb 21, 11:09   in response to: cselwyn in response to: cselwyn

cselwyn wrote:
Probably not that very many actually... I'm sure I could identify and redo them... I just thought it might be a "nice to have" and it seems to me that it would be the "right" thing for jAlbum to do.

Chris

I agree, if we include face region data with the generated images, they should match the images even if they have been flipped using jAlbum.
RobM

Posted: 21 Feb 21, 11:14   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
cselwyn wrote:

Chris

I agree, if we include face region data with the generated images, they should match the images even if they have been flipped using jAlbum.

Even if they have been cropped within jAlbum?
davidekholm

Posted: 21 Feb 21, 12:05   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
cselwyn wrote:

Chris

Even if they have been cropped within jAlbum?

Sounds reasonable. Note, I'm talking about face region data within the generated images. Handling this case might however be more complex than adjusting for flipped images. It's not very high prio either naturally.
RobM

Posted: 21 Feb 21, 14:36   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Whilst it would be nice, it seems a lot of trouble and I was just pointing out the need for consistency. I wonder if there is any other tagging software that handles cropping and flipping after the tags have been added?
JeffTucker

Posted: 21 Feb 21, 14:40   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Cropping would be a particularly daunting challenge. What happens if you crop out the tag location, or just part of it?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums