This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 20 Jan 21, 17:56 Last Post By: spielmops
spielmops

Skin Saturn and Geolocation with Openstreetmap
Posted: 19 Jan 21, 20:06

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I changed the skin Saturn by myself into showing geolocations with Openstreetmap. (I got crazy when I tried to get an API from Google ...)
Have a look at this URL:
https://hartmut.homelinux.org/Diverses/WeiteWelt/index.html
call a map and download the maps.html as well as samapper.js.
Those files are changed. It's a work of a newbie and if someone can workout something better, I would be pleased.

Spielmops
davidekholm

Re: Skin Saturn and Geolocation with Openstreetmap
Posted: 20 Jan 21, 15:37   in response to: spielmops in response to: spielmops

Thank you for this effort. Seems to work fine. @jGromit, what do you say?
JeffTucker

Posted: 20 Jan 21, 16:29   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Who?

I took a quick look. The Javascript is a bit of a mess, and the responsiveness of the map display is broken as a result.

OSM is certainly getting better, but Google Maps is still superior. OSM's coverage is spotty in some places - if there's no crowd, there's no crowdsource. OSM has no satellite, terrain, or street views. OSM rendering is sometimes painfully slow - zooming out or panning around from the initial location can leave you staring at gray boxes for a long time.

I'm sorry this user couldn't figure out how to get a Google Maps API Key. The process is clumsy, but others seem to have been able to navigate it. And unless your site goes viral, it ends up still being free.

So, no reason to switch yet. And I think that if I were going to add an optional, second mapping source, I would look at Mapbox before OSM.
spielmops

Posted: 20 Jan 21, 16:56   in response to: spielmops in response to: spielmops

Javascript is messy, but I'm new to Javascript, sorry!

"the responsiveness of the map display is broken as a result."

hmmm... I tried it with PC, 5''-Smartphone, 8'' and 10''-tablet and the mobile-devices in landscape and portrait. The map is a bit short in porttrait but otherwise it's OK. What do you mean?

Openstreetmap: Where do you live? I live in Germany and OSM is way better than anything else, it is much more accurate and shows considerably more details. Loading time is no problem here ...

One idea: offer separate files maps-osm.html and samapper-osm.js and write in the readme what needs to be changed after the album has been created?

Spielmops
JeffTucker

Posted: 20 Jan 21, 17:14   in response to: spielmops in response to: spielmops

Attachment gray.png (70.8 KB)
Attachment gm.png (98.3 KB)
Attachment osm.png (44.8 KB)
I don't want to get into a long argument about this, but....

Compare your OSM map to the skin's default Google Map, like here:

https://jefftucker.net/saturn/maps/

In Saturn, the map is centered horizontally and vertically.

Now grab the lower edge of the browser window and drag it upwards. With your OSM map, you get scrollbars - the map display doesn't respond to the new size of the viewport. Even a CTRL-F5 refresh doesn't fix it.

I'm on a solid, fast connection, but zooming in OSM often produces what you see in gray.png.

As I said, OSM is fine in heavily-populated areas. It gets very sparse elsewhere. Even in my own neighborhood, in the busy northeast corridor of the U.S., OSM is almost useless. Compare the two screenshots - gm.png and osm.png.

I don't like adding things to my skins that don't work very well.
spielmops

Posted: 20 Jan 21, 17:56   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

"Now grab the lower edge of the browser window and drag it upwards. With your OSM map, you get scrollbars - the map display doesn't respond to the new size of the viewport. Even a CTRL-F5 refresh doesn't fix it."

Ok, now I see, what you mean ...

Spielmops
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums