Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19-Nov-2020 12:15 Last Post By: RobM Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
ctwist

Skin developer etiquette
Posted: 19-Nov-2020 04:15
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
We have all benefitted from other skin developers' coding techniques. It could be a simple calculation or a full-blown technique for handling a major skin feature.

Sometimes this is offered in a forum thread, but sometimes a developer looks at another skin and says "Ah, so that is how it is done!"

Most of us freely offer our source code, and sometimes another skin developer replicates some of it in his own skin. There is nothing wrong with doing this, but I think that we need to ensure that we acknowledge the original skin developer's contribution.

It is polite that you should let the skin developer know that you used his technique. I have seen acknowledgement comments in a skin's source code, but the original developer may never read your source code.

Suggestion: If you acquire a technique from another skin, add a comment to the skin's page. E.g. "I replicated your technique for using Java anonymous inner classes in MySkin. It works well."

I don't want to make this too formal. I am suggesting that you provide some positive feedback. If we all do this, it will encourage us to continue with our endeavours.

BTW I am guilty of not acknowledging; I assume that we all are occasionally.

You may have a better idea??
davidekholm

Re: Skin developer etiquette
Posted: 19-Nov-2020 11:51   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
Sounds like a good guiding line. For jAlbum's always current credit section, see the files under "lib" ;-)
RobM

Re: Skin developer etiquette
Posted: 19-Nov-2020 12:15   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
I have been collating code snippets in the wiki and crediting the source.

Commenting on the skin pages has been removed, to stop spam and users asking questions, that should have been asked in the forums. Thanks could be posted in this forum or the skin’s forum.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums