This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 20 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 19-Oct-2020 19:47 Last Post By: dzeleznik Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
dzeleznik

Album is missing many face regions
Posted: 12-Apr-2020 16:05

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

I recently noticed that in some of my photos, the album is not displaying all of the face regions defined for a photo. I'm using jAlbum v20 and Tiger 2.13.6. I've created a single-image test album at http://www.zeleznik-klein.com/facetest/html/index.html to illustrate the problem. The album also includes the image's metadata that I exported using exiv2. The photo in question has 21 regions defined and these all display correctly in jAlbum when I right click and select "Set area tags". So jAlbum "sees" all 21 regions, but only 6 are getting output to the album. Indeed when I look at data1.json, there are only 6 regions listed in
"regions":"[
\"Holly Hattendorf;0.330;0.094;0.050;0.094\",
\"Michael Altchek;0.488;0.439;0.065;0.124\",
\"Maxine Klein;0.831;0.181;0.024;0.046\",
\"Sydney Hattendorf;0.268;0.130;0.042;0.080\",
\"Florence Kling;0.595;0.163;0.072;0.137\",
\"Gabriella Altchek;0.270;0.785;0.063;0.119\"]"

I have sporadically seen this issue with other photos and albums, but I cannot pinpoint a pattern. Thanks for your help in getting all of my defined face regions to display.
Laza

Re: Album is missing many face regions
Posted: 12-Apr-2020 19:11   in response to: dzeleznik in response to: dzeleznik

Can you please attach one of those images so I can test?
dzeleznik

Posted: 12-Apr-2020 21:18   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

If you refresh the album in your browser, I added a download-originals option to the album. BTW, I think I may have spotted the problem. I have several face regions that are currently unnamed and it looks like maybe data1.json stops generating regions when it hits the first region without a name? This is very common in Lightroom which will auto-detect faces, but many will remain unnamed.
Laza

Posted: 13-Apr-2020 18:44   in response to: dzeleznik in response to: dzeleznik

I've checked the code and it can handle empty region titles. I will run further tests. If you could give me a link that'd spare me some time.
dzeleznik

Posted: 13-Apr-2020 21:12   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Attachment facetest.zip (701,1 KB)
Attached is the photo, metadata from exiv2 tool, and jalbum. Thanks!
Laza

Posted: 14-Apr-2020 15:03   in response to: dzeleznik in response to: dzeleznik
Helpful
Thanks!

It seems the names weren't simply empty, but were completely missing from those face tags. I thought that was a complimentary part of a face tag. Now I modified the code so it checks only the x coordinate. Hopefully that's always present :)
dzeleznik

Posted: 15-Apr-2020 15:51   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Nagyon köszönöm! I went back to some old photos processed with earlier versions of lightroom and this seems to be a long-standing behavior when LR has detected face regions that remain unidentified. Having used jAlbum and LR together for over 10 years, hard to believe I only noticed this recently. I will definitely rebuild all my albums once you push out the fix.
dzeleznik

Posted: 17-Oct-2020 20:29   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Any update on when the fix for this is going to be released? Thanks!
Laza

Posted: 18-Oct-2020 08:56   in response to: dzeleznik in response to: dzeleznik

Supposed to be fixed long time ago. Have you tried it and it still failed?
dzeleznik

Posted: 18-Oct-2020 16:23   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Am I missing something? I still see that the last update to Tiger was v2.13.6 released on April 3 over 6 months ago: https://jalbum.net/en/skins/skin/Tiger. This is the same version that I reported the problem on. I also don't see any skin upgrade notification within jAlbum. Have there been Tiger updates that I have somehow missed? Thanks!
Laza

Posted: 18-Oct-2020 18:31   in response to: dzeleznik in response to: dzeleznik

Attachment util.js (125,3 KB)
The bug is fixed, but it seems I haven't yet released a skin update since. Just save the attached file to the skin directory's "lib" subfolder, and give it a try.
dzeleznik

Posted: 18-Oct-2020 19:52   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Thanks Laza, this worked in that all of the named face regions are now displaying: http://www.zeleznik-klein.com/test-tiger-faceregions/html/index.html#img=zoom.jpg. However I would prefer that regions without names are not displayed at all rather than displayed with a blank label.
Laza

Posted: 18-Oct-2020 20:39   in response to: dzeleznik in response to: dzeleznik

Isn't that how it worked before?
dzeleznik

Posted: 18-Oct-2020 22:38   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

I apologize, but I don't quite understand your question. In the previous version of Tiger (ie. 2.13.6) the face regions were iteratively parsed from the metadata until a name did not exist. Therefore, by definition all the face regions that were successfully parsed had names and were displayed in the lightbox. The flaw was that in a mix of named and unnamed regions, any named regions that followed the first unnamed region were skipped.

In the updated util.js, face regions are parsed from the metadata until an x-coord is not found. The region are pushed onto the "sb" array and are displayed in the lightbox whether or not a name is parsed for the region. The result is that unnamed regions are displayed with blank labels. I was asking if it was possible to skip pushing an unnamed region onto "sb" and being displayed, not to stop parsing all region metadata at this point since there may be named regions that follow. Since I don't think displaying regions with blank labels was a possible use case before, I am not sure how my request would break backward compatibility. But if it does, maybe my requested behavior could be enabled via a variable.

I hope I am clear on how my request is not the same as the previous behavior, thanks!

Edited by: dzeleznik on 18-Oct-2020 16:57
RobM

Posted: 18-Oct-2020 23:47   in response to: dzeleznik in response to: dzeleznik

dzeleznik wrote:
...I was asking if it was possible to skip pushing an unnamed region onto "sb" and being displayed, not to stop parsing all region metadata at this point since there may be named regions that follow. Since I don't think displaying regions with blank labels was a possible use case before, I am not sure how my request would break backward compatibility. But if it does, maybe my requested behavior could be enabled via a variable.
I added region support, based on Laza's original code, to one of my skins. When I saw this post I updated my code to give the option of including, or not, un-named regions. My thought was that some users might like other (family?) people to look and possibly identify those unknowns. I made it so if unknowns were included they were identified as unknown, but with sequential identifier numbers.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums