Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 01-Aug-2020 13:50 Last Post By: Laza Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Grimmy66

Sidebar location
Posted: 30-Jul-2020 23:11
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
I noticed that on a small screen device (tablet and down) the sidebar gets put 'under' the content which seems a bit crazy. Surely the sidebar should go above because this is the place that contains the Tag Cloud Box no?

With the amount of content I have, currently my users need to scroll down 6 kilometers before they are able to filter the results via the tag cloud box :)

There is only the option to put the side bar left or right..I have mine set on the left.

Cheers

P.S>. I have no idea if this is the right place for this post..I just followed the support link and saw the title of this post seemed to match. Apologies if its the wrong place.

Edited by: Grimmy66 on 30-Jul-2020 23:12
jGromit

Re: Sidebar location
Posted: 30-Jul-2020 23:16   in response to: Grimmy66 in response to: Grimmy66
(Post split from an unrelated thread. This is a design question, not a crash report.)
jGromit

Posted: 30-Jul-2020 23:18   in response to: Grimmy66 in response to: Grimmy66
Can you give us a link to your album, so we can see exactly what you're referring to?
Grimmy66

Posted: 31-Jul-2020 00:07   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Here is the link: https://www.theassetfactory.com/Ebook%20Covers/

As you can see there are only a few files at the moment but it you shrink your window size right down you can see that the labels cloud tag moves to the bottom of the screen. When I have 100+ images this is going to be a problem..

Cheers

Edited by: Grimmy66 on 31-Jul-2020 00:07

Edited by: Grimmy66 on 31-Jul-2020 00:08
jGromit

Posted: 31-Jul-2020 00:18   in response to: Grimmy66 in response to: Grimmy66
Ah, OK - I see what you're referring to. Not a problem on a desktop, but not well-suited to a small display.

I'll leave this one to Laza. He may have an easy way to alter the page layout (though I suspect not - it's not easy to change a dynamic page like this).
Grimmy66

Posted: 31-Jul-2020 00:32   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Cool. That would be amazing. Cheers.
Laza

Posted: 31-Jul-2020 08:20   in response to: Grimmy66 in response to: Grimmy66
Use this code in the "Settings / Photoblogger / Custom code / CSS" box:
.sidebar { order: 0; }

Yes, this is surely the better choice in your case, but there might be a lot of content in the side bar which would push the folders for example below fold. That's why it was done like this.
MarkusD

Posted: 01-Aug-2020 12:32   in response to: Grimmy66 in response to: Grimmy66
Grimmy66 wrote:
With the amount of content I have, currently my users need to scroll down 6 kilometers before they are able to filter the results via the tag cloud box :)
You don't even have to scroll a nanometer, provided you use an adequate display. Please don't misunderstand, but I can't let such a steep template pass by unused ;-).

Smartphone, tablets for watching pictures or videos, does that makes sense? Guys, please, get reasonable and use the right devices. Attached is a screenshot how it looks like on a 40" UHD monitor. And if you now say, well, I don't have such a big screen, please just look at the wall in the living room. What hangs there nowadays often, 50", 60" smart TVs or even bigger. These are the right devices to look at pictures or videos, but not on a smartphone.

Just my 2 cents.
jGromit

Posted: 01-Aug-2020 12:51   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
You can't decide what devices your site visitors will use, and if you're running a business, and trying to sell something, you can't ignore the users who arrive on phones and tablets.

Even my older siblings (in their 70's) consume a lot of content on phones and iPad Mini's, and the young ones in the family never sit down in front of a real monitor.
Laza

Posted: 01-Aug-2020 13:50   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
I must admit this not the intended use. The maximum page width in my opinion shouldn't be larger than, say, 1440 px. You can't read text for example at this width.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums