This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 11 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 02-Jul-2020 17:14 Last Post By: hollycat2000 Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
hollycat2000

generated album with Jalbum 19 and 20 with Tiger skin are mixed-up
Posted: 30-Jun-2020 15:19

Click to reply to this thread Reply
After installing version 19 back ijn 2019 and now with 20.2.7 I have the a problem. I didn't change the album, just told Jalbum to regenerate the album force remake. The view both local and in the browser (Firefox and Chrome) is completely mixed up and corrupted. I use Tiger skin 2.13.6 .
I don't get any errors while generating.

After I installed 18.4 again and regenerated the album for changes only (there weren't any). Result was good preview, both local and in Firefox/Chrome (after emptying the cache).

I use linux Xubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
and firefox 77.0.1 (64-bit) browser - site/album is https://hollycat2000.jalbum.net/REMP2016/ which is generated with 18.4 and looks like I designed it.
album https://hollycat2000.jalbum.net/REMP20-2-7/ is generated with jalbum 20.2.7 and the same set of input files.

For the time being I'll stay with 18.4 Java 12 64bit and Tiger skin (latest version).

A different album generated with Photoblogger viewed alright both with 18.4 and 20.2.7. Could there be something wrong with the combination Tiger and Jalbum as all the Tiger versions up to now work alright with Jalbum 18.4 but not with 19.x.x and 20.x.x (at least on my computer)?

I noticed this problem for the first time with version 19 in October 2019.

jGromit

Re: generated album with Jalbum 19 and 20 with Tiger skin are mixed-up
Posted: 30-Jun-2020 15:30   in response to: hollycat2000 in response to: hollycat2000

I'll move this thread to the Tiger forum section. I think Laza will need to look at this one - I've checked all the "usual suspects," and can't figure out why your newer album is so badly formatted. Copying your settings, I get a normal, working album, and there are no missing files on the server, so I'm missing something - I just don't know what it is.
hollycat2000

Posted: 30-Jun-2020 17:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

thanks for looking
Laza

Posted: 30-Jun-2020 19:06   in response to: hollycat2000 in response to: hollycat2000

I guess the stylesheet (in the /res folder) is from Photoblogger. Can you please upload the album again?
hollycat2000

Posted: 30-Jun-2020 20:53   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

I already reinstalled version 18.4 and regenerated the album, which went ok.
Then after your answer what i did was copy the res/common.css from version 18.04 to my published album REMP20-2-7 and the result is OK.

Now I will reinstall version 20.2.7 and compare the res/common.css with the 18.4 one.
I'll let you know.

edit:
I just regenerated the album with 20.2.7 and the result is bad - totally mixed up.
How is it possible that a wrong res/common.css is inserted in the album. Where does it come from?
I can solve it by copying the 18.4 res/common.css to the 20.2.7 album before uploading it.
But a conclusion or solution would be very much appreciated.

Edited by: hollycat2000 on 30-Jun-2020 21:20
jGromit

Posted: 30-Jun-2020 21:36   in response to: hollycat2000 in response to: hollycat2000
Helpful
When you preview the album locally, before uploading it, does it look right?

ETA: This is beginning to sound like a case in which doing some housecleaning might help. It will take only a few minutes. First, do a thorough uninstall/reinstall of jAlbum. Don't skip any steps, or try to second-guess anything:

https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=35746

Then, launch jAlbum and open the config directory - Tools, Open directories, Config directory. Go to the skins folder, and delete Tiger. Close jAlbum, and reinstall Tiger:

https://jalbum.net/skins/skin/Tiger/
hollycat2000

Posted: 30-Jun-2020 23:01   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

yes, also local album has wrong css.
I uninstalled jalbum, removed the usr/lib/jalbum (linux) map and reinstalled jalbum.
I removed the tiger skin from disk and reinstalled that.
Same problem.
The only thing I did then was, copy the old 18.4 res/common.css to the new res map in the image directory.

Now everything works like it did with 18.4.
I still don't know why a wrong css came with the installation of 20.2.7
But I'm happy it works.
Thanks
jGromit

Posted: 30-Jun-2020 23:16   in response to: hollycat2000 in response to: hollycat2000

You shouldn't have to copy an old CSS file to a new album, and in fact, doing that might be very dangerous. Things change.

I notice that your project has a small mountain of custom CSS in it, which might be causing odd problems. Just as an experiment, make a copy of your project, delete most of the folders (just to make testing faster), then see what happens if you remove your custom CSS. If you get a properly-formatted album, that at least tells us where to start looking for the trouble.

ETA: In fact, I'm seeing a lot of stuff in your custom CSS that doesn't apply to a Tiger album at all.
hollycat2000

Posted: 01-Jul-2020 20:15   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Test Jalbum 20.2.7 with Tiger

1. Original reduced image directory with /res removed
1.1. preview of generated album looks good
1.2. after insert custom pages preview looks good as well
2. Original reduced image directory with /res and all .jalbum and .comments removed
2.1. preview of generated album looks good
2.2. after insert custom pages preview looks good as well

As I understand Jalbum when started inserts a .jalbum and some .comments in every (sub)directory. There is also an .jalbum in the users home directory. This last one contains all the installed skins, as well as files like recent-projects.txt, account.xml, defaults.jap, tiger-defaults.jap. I don’t know whether this file is deleted or replaced at an update.

For some reason I had a /res file in the image directory. Is that how it should be?

After installing older version 18.4 again everything worked ok again. The common.css was the same as the original common.css. Where did that come from? From the /res in the image directory? So I saved this, installed 20.2.7. again and replaced the common.css with the saved one (from 18.4). everything worked.

The test shows that when I removed the /res directory from the image directory and did run Jalbum, everything worked alright. (note: I didn.t remove the .jalbum from the users home directory).
The second test was nearly the same, but I removed all the .jalbum and .comments as well as the /res directory from the image directory. The image directory contained now only subdirectories, images and bottom content, topcontent files and some other text files of which I don’t know whether they are needed or not (captions.txt, titles.properties). These files were left in the image directory after updating Jalbum several times and changing from turtle to tiger.

What I will do with the next update is first test if it works and if not remove the /res directory first, then try again. The update from 18.4 to 19.x was the first time it went wrong. Before that every update was a piece of cake.

Note: my custom file has nothing to do with Tiger or any other skin. I just use the skin to create the location for the custom page. It is a normal html file and has it’s own css. After generating the album I manually (script) replace the album index.html with the custom page index.html and add the needed files to the subdirectory (custom) of the generated album. Then the total will be uploaded.
RobM

Posted: 01-Jul-2020 20:44   in response to: hollycat2000 in response to: hollycat2000

hollycat2000 wrote:
As I understand Jalbum when started inserts a .jalbum and some .comments in every (sub)directory. There is also an .jalbum in the users home directory. This last one contains all the installed skins, as well as files like recent-projects.txt, account.xml, defaults.jap, tiger-defaults.jap. I don’t know whether this file is deleted or replaced at an update.

For some reason I had a /res file in the image directory. Is that how it should be?

For an understanding of jAlbum files and what goes where see this page.
jGromit

Posted: 01-Jul-2020 20:46   in response to: hollycat2000 in response to: hollycat2000
Helpful
Rather than try to explain this in exhaustive detail, I recommend that you start a new, clean Tiger project with a half-dozen images in two folders, and take a look at what control files are created in the project directory. The res folder in the project directory is added by Tiger when you select a background image - that's where it stashes it for safekeeping. There are, for example, no standard jAlbum files called captions.txt or titles.properties. I have no idea where those are coming from, but I suspect they're from a long ago, long forgotten skin that you used.

There is almost never a need to manually tinker with the control files in a new, freshly-created project. They're there for a reason, and if you delete them, you are deleting things like the titles and comments you've entered, image editing information, and so on. But you may find that you can delete a lot of the old files that aren't used in current jAlbum or Tiger.

Do not keep switching back and forth between Turtle and Tiger. That will just end up cluttering up the control files with Turtle parameters that aren't need in Tiger. And do not keep experimenting with your large, main project. Do your experimenting with a small, newly-created test project. Then apply what you have learned to the main project (it looks like there's a lot of old debris lying around in that one).

Once again, I strongly suggest that you selectively clear out the contents of Tiger > Site > Custom code > CSS. Most of this appears to be left over from a prior skin, and is completely unnecessary in Tiger. It's difficult to tell what problems it might be creating.
hollycat2000

Posted: 02-Jul-2020 17:12   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

@RobM and @jGromit thanks

Edited by: hollycat2000 on 02-Jul-2020 17:13
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums