This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 1 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 30-Jun-2020 22:43 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jGromit

Some possible removals from Preferences
Posted: 30-Jun-2020 22:11

Click to reply to this thread Reply
The subject of changing the Preferences layout arose in another thread (it's a bit too tall for the typical laptop monitor). While looking at it, I spotted a few things that probably should be removed.

The first is Preferences > Album > Skins > Restore previous settings. I believe this applies only to the columns/rows setting. I haven't tested every possible combination, but for everything else, that checkbox seems to make no difference. If I'm correct in this assumption, it's time to retire that option, and set it internally to false.

Of the bundled skins, only Minimal uses columns and rows. None of my skins does. There are very few other current skins that still use it. And if a user is switching from a skin that does use that setting to one that doesn't, the setting really shouldn't be restored. The newly loaded skin's hints.jap should be allowed to overwrite the settings. If it doesn't, the results could be very poor (in my skins I go the extra step of forcing rows to zero, to avoid that problem).

The second candidate for removal is Preferences > Album > Skins > Use layout hints. I would argue that a skin's layout hints should always be used. These days, many of the default settings in hints.jap are very important to the proper functioning of the skin. When a user chooses a skin, the settings from a very different skin shouldn't be allowed to "bleed over" into the new one. Someone who is opening up an old Chameleon project and switching to Pluto should certainly not be retaining things like the image bounds from the old project. And in a lot of Laza's current skins, things like the thumbnail sizes are very important for the layout to work well. So, this one should be internally defaulted to true.

Third is Preferences > Album > Cache thumbnails. Is there any reason that a user would want to turn that off?

Fourth is Preferences > Advanced > Compatibility mode. Are there any skins that are even remotely current that need that? For the very old skins that do, maybe it's time to let them go.
jGromit

Re: Some possible removals from Preferences
Posted: 30-Jun-2020 22:43   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Click to reply to this thread Reply
And maybe a fifth: Preferences > Advanced > Attempt to use native file dialogs. This doesn't even appear on a Windows machine, so I'm guessing it applies only to macOS. Why would a Mac user want to turn this off?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums