This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 21-Jun-2020 21:06 Last Post By: MarkusD
MarkusD

1-cklick-upload?
Posted: 19-Jun-2020 19:33

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

what is your routine dealing with an album?

1) Adding pictures;
2) Writing comments, titles;
3) Make the album;
4) Upload;

When it comes to the upload, you have to:
a) In the dialog "Making album" press the <upload> button;
b) Then the dialog "Upload/Manage - Step 2 of 2" opens, you have to press again an <upload> button;
c) Then the dialog "Upload Album" opens, you have to press the <OK> button;
d) Now the upload starts;

Step b) and c) are things which are superfluous, because you'll never change that after you have defined them once.

So, what I'm looking for is a 1-cklick-upload. A button in then dialog "Making album" which does upload without any further clicks (of course this is only possible if you have defined the upload once). Is that possible? Thanks, Markus
RobM

Re: 1-cklick-upload?
Posted: 19-Jun-2020 19:44   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

How about Server mode with upload, in the Tools>External tools menu.
Or, command line make and upload,
JeffTucker

Posted: 19-Jun-2020 19:49   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:
Step b) and c) are things which are superfluous, because you'll never change that after you have defined them once.

They're not superfluous. They're there to prevent disasters.

We've seen it all too many times. A user carelessly clicks something near the upload button in the main jAlbum window, and, without noticing it, has changed the upload profile he's going to use. Then, instead of uploading his album to his jalbum.net hosting account, he uploads it to his other web hosting account, and wipes out his entire e-commerce site. Or a user doesn't properly identify the web root, which leads to similar uploading mistakes. Or a user, instead of making a copy of a project to tinker with, fiddles around with the "live" version of project, accidentally uploads it, and kills the real album.

It's not feasible to provide an "undo" option for uploading, so it pays to make sure an album is being uploaded to the correct server and to the correct location on that server. These extra clicks take, what, 3 or 4 seconds? That's what's called "cheap insurance."

If you really want one-click uploading, write a little script that does the upload from the command line, and pin it to your taskbar. Just be aware that once you've kicked it off, you're going to find it very difficult to interrupt if you suddenly realize that it's doing something you didn't want it to do!
MarkusD

Posted: 21-Jun-2020 09:02   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
MarkusD wrote:

They're not superfluous. They're there to prevent disasters.

I really agree most of the time with you, but in this matter I don't. The dialog "Upload/Manage - Step 2 of 2" is kind of dangerous, in my opinion, here a user can click a wrong thing. If you don't present this dialog during the upload then a user can't do anything wrong.

What about that: In the dialog "Upload/Manage - Step 2 of 2" there is the button <Upload> with a drop down menu. Why not using this kind of a drop down button in then dialog "Making album"? The default will do the same thing as it does today, but with one click you can choose "Immediate upload" which will upload everything without the usual hassle. Just look at the screenshot how that button may look like.
MarkusD

Posted: 21-Jun-2020 09:04   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
How about Server mode with upload, in the Tools>External tools menu.
Or, command line make and upload,
But no, that would be exactly the opposite of simplifying things. That would be even more clicks. ;-)
JeffTucker

Posted: 21-Jun-2020 12:29   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
Helpful
MarkusD wrote:
But no, that would be exactly the opposite of simplifying things. That would be even more clicks. ;-)

That's why I suggested writing a script to do it. One icon on your taskbar. One click, and it runs the script that makes the album and uploads it. You could probably train your cat to do it for you.

ETA: As someone who has three TLD's and several subdomains on two web hosts (one in Stockholm and one in Denver), I really don't want any shortcuts to disaster. I like the visual feedback I get now. I suppose it would be different for a user who has only one uploading profile, so maybe in that case it could be simplified.
MarkusD

Posted: 21-Jun-2020 21:06   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
MarkusD wrote:

That's why I suggested writing a script to do it. One icon on your taskbar. One click, and it runs the script that makes the album and uploads it. You could probably train your cat to do it for you.

;-) OK, I guess I'm gonna have to get a cat then. For me the case is closed. It was just a thought. Thanks.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums