This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 21-Jun-2020 17:34 Last Post By: msand42
msand42

What are the 3 Make album options?
Posted: 21-Jun-2020 05:55

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment sshot-1.jpg (12,7 KB)
What is the difference between Make album (F9), Make All (shift+F9), Make Changes (Alt+F9)? I can't find anything about this in the tutorials and manuals.

Edited by: msand42 on 21-Jun-2020 06:07
MarkusD

Re: What are the 3 Make album options?
Posted: 21-Jun-2020 08:39   in response to: msand42 in response to: msand42

My short answer is, don't care about the difference. Just press <F9> when you want to create an album, jAlbum will do the right thing for you. That's what I do for more than a decade now. But you'll get a good explanation from the usual suspects anyway. ;-)
davidekholm

Posted: 21-Jun-2020 10:40   in response to: msand42 in response to: msand42

Make album = The button to press in 99% of cases
Make changes = Process pages but only process newly added images. Only meant for testing various effects of skin changes as its far quicker, but can produce unmatched image sizes (stretched or shrunk images). These days this option is actually called Make Test to better reflect its purpose.
Make all = Reprocess all pages and images. Now relabeled "Fore remake". Doesn't try to figure out what changes that have been made. Not used much today as "Make album" is so clever in figuring out the minimal amount of images (and videos) to re-process. I use this option when studying image scaling performance though :-)
JeffTucker

Posted: 21-Jun-2020 12:00   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

The dangerous option is Force Remake (used to be Make All). It forces jAlbum to reprocess all the images, whether it needs to or not. If you have a project with a lot of videos, you can be in for a long wait while it regenerates all of them. Even on a high-end machine that can take a long time, and on a laptop, you could probably fry an egg on the case.

The other thing to remember about Force Remake is that all of the images and videos in the finished album will have new timestamps, which means they'll all get uploaded again, even if they haven't really changed.
RobM

Posted: 21-Jun-2020 12:21   in response to: msand42 in response to: msand42

msand42 wrote:
What is the difference between Make album (F9), Make All (shift+F9), Make Changes (Alt+F9)? I can't find anything about this in the tutorials and manuals.
For future reference, the choices are described in the jAlbum Welcome page
msand42

Posted: 21-Jun-2020 16:59   in response to: msand42 in response to: msand42

Thanks everyone for your replies. One more question...when did the Forced Remake and Make Test options replace the ones I listed in my inquiry? I am on version 19.0.6.

Edited by: msand42 on 21-Jun-2020 17:00
JeffTucker

Posted: 21-Jun-2020 17:10   in response to: msand42 in response to: msand42

msand42 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your replies. One more question...when did the Forced Remake and Make Test options replace the ones I listed in my inquiry? I am on version 19.0.6.

jAlbum 19.3, this past January. And to think that I had to beat David about the head and shoulders on that subejct for only about five years! ;)

It looks like you have a current license, so there's no reason to stick with an older version of jAlbum. Head for the download page and get the latest!

https://jalbum.net/en/software/download
msand42

Posted: 21-Jun-2020 17:34   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums