This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 11-Jun-2020 21:17 Last Post By: AndreWolff
jagman653

Moving a local jAlbum project
Posted: 06-Jun-2020 01:13

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I currently have a project in a folder D:\Documents Old Goliath\My Albums. How do I move it to D:\Documents Goliath\My Albums?

I've played around with Duplicate but that just creates another project in in the same My Albums folder.

I've also tried copy/paste with the Windows file Explorer, but when I open it with jAlbum things don't work as they should. My guess is the .jap file and others have the old file paths.

What am I missing?
JeffTucker

Re: Moving a local jAlbum project
Posted: 06-Jun-2020 02:48   in response to: jagman653 in response to: jagman653
Helpful
jagman653 wrote:
I currently have a project in a folder D:\Documents Old Goliath\My Albums. How do I move it to D:\Documents Goliath\My Albums?

You should be able simply to copy everything (in Windows Explorer) from:

D:\Documents Old Goliath\My Albums\thisproject

to:

D:\Documents Goliath\My Albums\thisproject

When you open the project, either by double-clicking on:

D:\Documents Goliath\My Albums\thisproject\jalbum-settings.jap

or by choosing File, Open within jAlbum and navigating to that location, everything should behave quite normally. The internal paths are all relative. When you say that "things don't work as they should," what, exactly, are you referring to?

The only time I've run into odd problems involve moving a project from a Windows machine to a Mac, and then only if the project output is directed somewhere other than the default album location. A rare use case, to be sure.
jagman653

Posted: 06-Jun-2020 20:22   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

The problem manifests as nothing getting placed in the album folder when the project is built.

I think my problem is I have not always put the photos in the project folder. When I started using jAlbum (around 2007) I decided it was best to keep photos in my Photos folders and set the jAmbum Image directory to the wanted photos folder using a full path rather than relative path. That seemed better than having the same photos in two different places. It wasn't until much later that I read about the recommended file image location being the project directory.

So, I'm pretty sure those full paths ARE in the project settings files.

I'll rework one of the albums following the recommend locations and report back. In the meanwhile, let me thank you guys for your help.
JeffTucker

Posted: 06-Jun-2020 20:33   in response to: jagman653 in response to: jagman653
Correct
If you set jAlbum to just link to the originals, as opposed to copying them into the project directory, you should be fine unless you move the originals. Moving the project isn't a problem. But if you move the originals, the project won't know where they are.

If that happens, however, when you open the project you'll see blank thumbnails with red X's on them - it's very obvious that something's wrong. And if that happens, you can fix it by double-clicking on the first "red X" thumbnail and navigating to the current location of the original image. jAlbum will try to fix all the other paths based on that.

If you're dealing with album projects that are more than a decade old, however, there's no telling how things are set up. There have been a lot of changes since then.
jagman653

Posted: 11-Jun-2020 01:10   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I've now verified that a simple move of the project folder using Windows Explorer works just fine when I "go with the flow" and put the images in the project folder. I haven't tried, but my guess is it will also work if the images are somewhere else.

I believe the the project I was having trouble with was built when I was working on a completely different computer. The images were in C:\Users\Ed Sowell\Documents\My Photos\SomeFolder and there is no such directory on my current machine since my user name is different!
AndreWolff

Posted: 11-Jun-2020 21:17   in response to: jagman653 in response to: jagman653

jagman653 wrote:
I believe the the project I was having trouble with was built when I was working on a completely different computer. The images were in C:\Users\Ed Sowell\Documents\My Photos\SomeFolder and there is no such directory on my current machine since my user name is different!
If you move your images to another disk with a different drive letter, you get troubles, see this thread.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums