This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.


Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 16-May-2020 06:34 Last Post By: JeffTucker
wolf-skate

Posts: 45
Registered: 1-Sep-2009
Do not re-encode video as PREFERENCE = 'allways'
Posted: 15-May-2020 10:53
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
so I use Xmedia to crop and select etc the videos and do not want JA to tamper with it afterwards = each individual video I have to remember manually to tick do not re-encode?. I forget sometimes and that messes up my 'system' and takes too much space/processing-time for my liking

Is there a way to make an general JA preference ALLWAYS to have ticked any video dragged in w do not re-encode?? (or at least at album level = settings?). I have not found such general option - but I might be blind
JeffTucker

Posts: 6,963
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: Do not re-encode video as PREFERENCE = 'allways'
Posted: 15-May-2020 11:29   in response to: wolf-skate in response to: wolf-skate
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
I don't think there's any way to do that. With images, it's easy - just tell jAlbum to Link to originals. But that doesn't work with videos.

For years, I have said that the image and video processing should be parallel, with the same choices for both. I'd like to have the Pages tab look like this:



Then, you could just tell jAlbum to use your original videos, without any further processing.
RobM

Posts: 3,262
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: Do not re-encode video as PREFERENCE = 'allways'
Posted: 15-May-2020 12:00   in response to: wolf-skate in response to: wolf-skate
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
One way to ease the situation is to use a script, either as a tool or as a prédire.bsh file added to a skin, to mark all videos as do not encode. Would that be of interest?
JeffTucker

Posts: 6,963
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: Do not re-encode video as PREFERENCE = 'allways'
Posted: 15-May-2020 12:03   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
RobM wrote:
One way to ease the situation is to use a script, either as a tool or as a prédire.bsh file added to a skin, to mark all videos as do not encode. Would that be of interest?

Nice idea, but that's treating the symptom, rather than the root cause.
davidekholm

Posts: 3,317
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: Do not re-encode video as PREFERENCE = 'allways'
Posted: 15-May-2020 14:37   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Helpful
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
If this is a general need for your whole project, why don't you set the video "resolution" setting globally to "Do not re-encode" under Settings - Videos ?
wolf-skate

Posts: 45
Registered: 1-Sep-2009
Re: Do not re-encode video as PREFERENCE = 'allways'
Posted: 15-May-2020 14:44   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
yes thanks that helps for single album project- was just not thinking about entering resolution to get to no re-encoding

Edited by: wolf-skate on 15-May-2020 14:48
just tried it as you suggested = this method may work under album creation (not done a make yet) - but does NOT add the icon on video (and when entering options the tick box for do not re-encode is empty??!!) = I better safe than sorry so I still go in now and tick all boxes.

Think your proposed procedure should be more transparent in use =auto icon/ticking boxes, so I am never in doubt if re-encode will happen or not
davidekholm

Posts: 3,317
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: Do not re-encode video as PREFERENCE = 'allways'
Posted: 15-May-2020 14:44   in response to: wolf-skate in response to: wolf-skate
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
wolf-skate wrote:
yes thanks that helps for single album project- was just not thinking about entering resolution to get to no re-encoding

I understand that's not intuitive.
RobM

Posts: 3,262
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: Do not re-encode video as PREFERENCE = 'allways'
Posted: 15-May-2020 14:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
davidekholm wrote:
wolf-skate wrote:
yes thanks that helps for single album project- was just not thinking about entering resolution to get to no re-encoding

I understand that's not intuitive.

According to a previous post, https://jalbum.net/forum/message.jspa?messageID=330950#330950 , jAlbum will still process the video e.g. lowering the quality will reduce the file size. That is still processing the video, isn’t it?
davidekholm

Posts: 3,317
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: Do not re-encode video as PREFERENCE = 'allways'
Posted: 15-May-2020 14:58   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
wolf-skate wrote:
yes thanks that helps for single album project- was just not thinking about entering resolution to get to no re-encoding

I understand that's not intuitive.

According to a previous post, https://jalbum.net/forum/message.jspa?messageID=330950#330950 , jAlbum will still process the video e.g. lowering the quality will reduce the file size. That is still processing the video, isn’t it?

"Do not re-encode" should do exactly what it says. There's also "Original video" if you wish to re-process it but keep the resolution.
RobM

Posts: 3,262
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: Do not re-encode video as PREFERENCE = 'allways'
Posted: 15-May-2020 15:01   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
davidekholm wrote:
RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
wolf-skate wrote:
yes thanks that helps for single album project- was just not thinking about entering resolution to get to no re-encoding

I understand that's not intuitive.

According to a previous post, https://jalbum.net/forum/message.jspa?messageID=330950#330950 , jAlbum will still process the video e.g. lowering the quality will reduce the file size. That is still processing the video, isn’t it?

"Do not re-encode" should do exactly what it says. There's also "Original video" if you wish to re-process it but keep the resolution.

Yes, just making sure it is clear as the original question was ‘ so I use Xmedia to crop and select etc the videos and do not want JA to tamper with it ‘.
JeffTucker

Posts: 6,963
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: Do not re-encode video as PREFERENCE = 'allways'
Posted: 15-May-2020 15:18   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
davidekholm wrote:
If this is a general need for your whole project, why don't you set the video "resolution" setting globally to "Do not re-encode" under Settings - Videos ?

Yes, that works.

But now how can I use that to provide a processed video on the slide page, to keep the size down, but still let the visitor download the original full HD video?

(...he asked, already knowing the answer. ;) )
davidekholm

Posts: 3,317
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: Do not re-encode video as PREFERENCE = 'allways'
Posted: 15-May-2020 23:22   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
If this is a general need for your whole project, why don't you set the video "resolution" setting globally to "Do not re-encode" under Settings - Videos ?

Yes, that works.

But now how can I use that to provide a processed video on the slide page, to keep the size down, but still let the visitor download the original full HD video?

(...he asked, already knowing the answer. ;) )


Ah, one of those items that's been on your wish list for years, to provide the same linking options for videos as for images. With this in mind, you can at least tell André that I don't fulfill all your wishes in a snap ;-)
JeffTucker

Posts: 6,963
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: Do not re-encode video as PREFERENCE = 'allways'
Posted: 15-May-2020 23:36   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
It's lost in the mists of time, but I think this one goes back to when video support was added. That makes it over seven years.

And, while you're at it, make originalPath point only to, ya' know, originals. ;)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums