This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 02-May-2020 15:37 Last Post By: jGromit
rfm2

Neptune video overlay
Posted: 01-May-2020 18:38

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I just discovered that the update from version 32 to 33 removed all of the video overlay options (except don't use it). I have used the placement and size options often in 32 and older. In the attachment the top line is the way I have been using the, the 2nd line is with the new default, and the 3rd with no overlay. I would want to always use an overlay so viewers would know at the thumbnail level which are videos. The middle image in the 2nd line shows that the very large default overlay with 33 on narrow thumbnails might be hard to recognize that it is a video overlay, and the image at the bottom of the attachment shows that with some dark thumbnails the image is so obscured you can't tell what the thumbnail is about.

With 33 I can replace the default overlay image with one of my choosing, but I can't change size or location. I can live with the default placement in the center, but I wanted to ask if there is a line of code in the UI that I can enter to control the size. I realize that I can always go back to version 32, but I like to use current versions where practical.
jGromit

Re: Neptune video overlay
Posted: 01-May-2020 20:21   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Attachment neptuneoverlays.png (249.8 KB)
I was trying to address a common problem, to wit, that the overlay was often very difficult to see, depending upon the thumbnail image. See the screenshot, where the top row is Neptune 32 and bottom is Neptune 33. And that's not the worst example I've encountered, not by a long shot.

The top line of your screenshot puzzles me a bit, since the overlay it's showing has never been part of Neptune. I suspect you were using your own replacement.

I admit I hadn't considered the problem of the dreaded "vertical video." Why do people do that? When was the last time you saw a television or movie theater screen that was portrait mode?! In any event, I'm not sure how to address it - the size of the overlay is set to 2/3 of the smallest dimension of the thumbnail image bounds. So, if the thumbnail image bounds are 300x200, the overlay is 200 * 0.67, or 134px.

The size isn't settable by thumbnail, however - one size fits all. Smaller, and it threatens to get buried in the visual clutter of the thumbnail image (BTW, in the jAlbum image editing mode, you can do some clicking and dragging to choose a different thumbnail image for a video, which is sometimes a good way to choose a better frame).

As always, however, you can target the size with some custom CSS:
.ne-videooverlay img {
	width: 100px;
	height: 100px;
	margin-top: -50px !important;
	margin-left: -50px !important;
}
Those negative margins should be half the size of the overlay, for centering, but of course you can get inventive if the mood strikes you.

Replacing the overlay with your own will be more "interesting," however, since it's an SVG, not a PNG. I just tried "lying" to the browser, and just renaming myvideo.png to video.svg. Works in Firefox, fails miserably in Chrome. The two image formats are very different. So, you'd have to use a converter to produce a suitable SVG.
rfm2

Posted: 01-May-2020 21:33   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the very quick and helpful reply, as always.Your illustrations show the very reason I made my own overlay that works regardless of the image lightness/darkness/colors. With the original default light or dark overlays, and even with the placement option, I often found it difficult to find one placement that worked with several videos.

I started using my "replacement" overlay several versions ago by creating a png-to-svg-to svt. I replaced the default video.svt overlay in the version 32 and before, and the video.svg overlay in version 33 - took me some time to find where you moved it from version 32 :-). Even though I haven't found a case where my replacement overlay is not highly visible without being intrusive, I still have occasions where I really would like to be able to place it somewhere other than center. A minor consideration.

I haven't tried your code addition yet, but I assume I can use the same "fix" for Mars, Saturn, and Venus (which I also use).

I just tried the fix in Neptune. The only challenge is adjusting the margins to get the placement that I want. I haven't experimented enough to know whether the margins on one album would work on others. I guess that the size of the thumbnail would make a difference, but I'm hoping that since I usually use the same size thumbnails in each new album my current margin settings might work for most albums.

Edited by: rfm2 on 01-May-2020 21:58
jGromit

Posted: 01-May-2020 22:38   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

rfm2 wrote:
I started using my "replacement" overlay several versions ago by creating a png-to-svg-to svt. I replaced the default video.svt overlay in the version 32 and before, and the video.svg overlay in version 33 - took me some time to find where you moved it from version 32 :-).

The color of the new overlay can't be altered, so there's no SVT file for it. So, one less step required to replace it.

I haven't tried your code addition yet, but I assume I can use the same "fix" for Mars, Saturn, and Venus (which I also use).

Yes, but with a change in the class name, from .ne-videooverlay to .ma-videooverlay, etc. The scheme is consistent across all of my skins (as I make changes, I've tried to standardize things, since it makes my life easier).
jGromit

Posted: 01-May-2020 23:45   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment weblocoverlay.png (686.4 KB)
I'll probably add a size spinner to let users adjust for the godawful vertical videos. I can't think of a better solution.

Also wondering if there would be any demand for a web location overlay. See screenshot, with the graphic shamelessly stolen from the jAlbum core.
rfm2

Posted: 01-May-2020 23:45   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Well, I did some more experimenting with the margin settings. My assumption (hope?) that I could use the same margin settings for all albums turned out to be false hope. If I'm willing to live with the center placement, the same setting works with albums having a variety of thumbnail sizes and orientations. If I want the upper left placement, the margins are very different for landscape and the dratted portrait orientations, and for images that have different aspect ratios. Just for fun I worked up a table that shows the margin settings for a variety of sizes, shapes, and orientations. I think the center placement is looking better all the time :-)

Thanks for the help in my being able to use the latest versions of the 4 skins I use and still achieve the look I want.
jGromit

Posted: 01-May-2020 23:56   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Actually, if you don't want center placement, you can just force the issue:
.ne-videooverlay img {
	top: 15px;
	left: 15px;
	margin: 0px !important;
}
The overlay is absolutely positioned, so you can force it to be just about anywhere.

ETA: This means, of course, that you can make it look just like older versions of the skin. Why do I ever release updates?
rfm2

Posted: 02-May-2020 03:27   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

....ETA: This means, of course, that you can make it look just like older versions of the skin. Why do I ever release updates?

Too funny!! If you just change the "do I" in your question to "does Microsoft" that's the same question that 99% of the people (including me) asked after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 :-)
jGromit

Posted: 02-May-2020 15:37   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

rfm2 wrote:
...that's the same question that 99% of the people (including me) asked after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 :-)

The big changes between Win7 and Win10 were under the hood. I've found Win10 to be more stable and robust than Win7. More important, Win10 undid the horrors of Win8.

If you stuck to alternate versions, the progression has been fine. Win98SE was pretty good, WinXP better, Win7 better again, Win10 better again. The other path would have left you foaming at the mouth: Win95, to WinMe, to Win Vista, to Win8. Yikes.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums