This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 1 May 20, 00:24 Last Post By: JeffTucker
waltbros

Thumbnail Layout
Posted: 30 Apr 20, 21:26

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Not sure but I may be going nuts. I just installed jAlbum on my new laptop and after opening an existing project, I don't seem to be able to change the Thumbnail Layout. That whole section is grayed out. What in the world could I be doing wrong?

Even on my old laptop that section is grayed out. How does one change the Thumbnail Layout? I am baffled

Walt
davidekholm

Re: Thumbnail Layout
Posted: 30 Apr 20, 22:01   in response to: waltbros in response to: waltbros

Some skins disable it as it's not always relevant. Switching skin will help.
JeffTucker

Posted: 30 Apr 20, 22:22   in response to: waltbros in response to: waltbros

I believe I can shed some light on this. I believe our friend waltbros is using Saturn, and a couple of releases ago, I made a couple of major changes to it. From the release notes:

Instead of calculating the maximum width of the thumbnail table based on image bounds, borders, and column counts, the skin now provides a simple "Max table width" setting. Since the thumbnail table is responsive to the width of the viewport, wrapping thumbnails as needed, using column counts made no sense. When opening an older project, the skin tries to approximate the setting for the width of the thumbnail table. The result will be close, rather than exact, so review the results when re-making the album.

The skin no longer supports multiple index pages (e.g., index.html, index2.html, index3.html, etc., within a given folder). All objects in a folder are now shown on a single index page for that folder. Since the underlying image display script can't "see" from one index page to the next, having multiple index pages never produced a good site visitor experience.

Because the skin is no longer using the cols and rows settings on the Pages tab in jAlbum, those fields are disabled.
waltbros

Posted: 30 Apr 20, 22:45   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
I believe I can shed some light on this. I believe our friend waltbros is using Saturn, and a couple of releases ago, I made a couple of major changes to it. From the release notes:
I've been using Jupiter for a while now but on my old laptop using the same settings I have 3 columns of thumbnails. On my new laptop with a higher resolution using the same settings I only have 2 columns of thumbnails. Both computers are using Chrome.

Walt
JeffTucker

Posted: 30 Apr 20, 23:06   in response to: waltbros in response to: waltbros

The number of columns you get depends entirely on the width of the display. In either skin, you can set the maximum width of the thumbnail table, in pixels. In the browser, it will display as many thumbnails as it can within that maximum width, and then line wrap. (It also has to allow space for some side padding, and for the "top of page" icon.)

I'd have to know more about your laptops to figure out why they're different, but it all comes down to basic pixel counts. In Chrome, you can call up the developer's console - hit F12. Then, on the Elements tab of the console, you can explore the HTML. As you hover on the <body> element, and on each of the <div> elements (and you can expand elements by clicking on the little down-arrows next to them), a little popop will tell you what its dimensions are, in actual CSS pixels.

Remember, too, that the physical resolution of the laptop isn't what matters - it's how that translates into CSS pixels. Mac laptops with Retina displays, for example, will say they have enormous resolution, like 2560x1600, but it's actually mapping the CSS pixels onto the physical pixels on that display so that you end up with a "real" display of 1280x800, and that's the only number that matters for page layout.

You should probably experiment with setting the max thumbnail table width to a larger value, and letting the thumbnails spread out more on a large monitor. On smaller devices, it will simply do the best it can, wrapping the lines as needed. In Jupiter, that width defaults to 1250px.
waltbros

Posted: 30 Apr 20, 23:45   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
The number of columns you get depends entirely on the width of the display. In either skin, you can set the maximum width of the thumbnail table, in pixels. In the browser, it will display as many thumbnails as it can within that maximum width, and then line wrap. (It also has to allow space for some side padding, and for the "top of page" icon.)

I'd have to know more about your laptops to figure out why they're different, but it all comes down to basic pixel counts. In Chrome, you can call up the developer's console - hit F12. Then, on the Elements tab of the console, you can explore the HTML. As you hover on the <body> element, and on each of the <div> elements (and you can expand elements by clicking on the little down-arrows next to them), a little popop will tell you what its dimensions are, in actual CSS pixels.

Remember, too, that the physical resolution of the laptop isn't what matters - it's how that translates into CSS pixels. Mac laptops with Retina displays, for example, will say they have enormous resolution, like 2560x1600, but it's actually mapping the CSS pixels onto the physical pixels on that display so that you end up with a "real" display of 1280x800, and that's the only number that matters for page layout.

You should probably experiment with setting the max thumbnail table width to a larger value, and letting the thumbnails spread out more on a large monitor. On smaller devices, it will simply do the best it can, wrapping the lines as needed. In Jupiter, that width defaults to 1250px.

I'm to old and my brain is too tired to try to figure it all out so, I just increased the thumbnail table width to get what I'm looking for. 3 columns. Thanks
Walt
JeffTucker

Posted: 1 May 20, 00:24   in response to: waltbros in response to: waltbros

Attachment width786.png (140.0 KB)
Attachment width1270.png (214.4 KB)
waltbros wrote:
I'm to old and my brain is too tired to try to figure it all out...

I know that feeling. ;)

...so, I just increased the thumbnail table width to get what I'm looking for. 3 columns.

The problem with that is that on a typical desktop machine, the album looks comically small. A couple of quick screenshots to illustrate.... My monitor is 1920x1080, which is fairly common these days.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums