Permlink Replies: 18 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: 21-Apr-2020 19:23 Last Post By: ksmatharu
jGromit

Re: Jupiter 14 - working well for me
Posted: 20-Apr-2020 22:37   in response to: ksmatharu in response to: ksmatharu
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Yes, the 403 is gone. :)

I know where the humongous camera icon was coming from, too. The size of that SVG is controlled by the CSS. But in prior versions of Jupiter, it didn't exist at all. So, if someone (your CDN) was serving up a stale copy of common.css, the SVG would display at its native size of something like 170x170px.

Hotlink protection is really, really tough to configure properly. It can interfere with all sorts of things, like the display of a video in a lightbox. I finally surrendered, and turned it off everywhere on my sites. I'm not paying for bandwidth, so what do I care if someone has posted a link to one of my pictures from a forum post somewhere?
ksmatharu

Posted: 21-Apr-2020 07:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Yes, I normally have hot-linking protection turned off, but for some reason it had been turned on. I am assuming that my web hosting company had done some changes at some point that re-enabled hot-link protection but I hadn't noticed as my browser was serving me with a cached copy.

Regarding the camera size, is that likely to occur again for other new users? Or is all good now? I'm not clear how the svg sizes get set and what gets cached, so this might be a silly question!
jGromit

Posted: 21-Apr-2020 08:47   in response to: ksmatharu in response to: ksmatharu
ksmatharu wrote:
Regarding the camera size, is that likely to occur again for other new users? Or is all good now? I'm not clear how the svg sizes get set and what gets cached, so this might be a silly question!

This might be an issue with a new image that's used on a page (whether it's a JPG, a PNG, or an SVG), if its size is being set in common.css rather than in-line. And it seems to happen only if one is using something like a CDN, and it's coughing up a stale version of the CSS file. I'm pretty sure I never encountered it while doing the skin development.

To ensure proper sizing, I could specify the dimensions in-line. That's done for the main images on the page, because it helps the browser when it's laying out the elements. I never thought to add it to things like icons, but I'll consider that.

The other way to address it is to fool the browser into thinking that the CSS file is different. This is often done by adding a query string to the file name, like:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="res/common.css?v=38872">
That "v" number is just a dummy, but change it every time you make the album, and you'll always get a fresh copy of the CSS file. The problem is that some browsers then won't cache the file at all, so this is sometimes flagged as a "bad practice."

My sense is that the problem is exceedingly rare.

ETA: Note that André saw the problem, but by the time Rob took a look, a few minutes later, it had resolved itself.
ksmatharu

Posted: 21-Apr-2020 19:23   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
OK. Thanks for the explanation. Much food for thought there. Good luck :)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums