This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 14 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19-Apr-2020 17:08 Last Post By: jGromit
FlyingClub1

Jupiter: Get navigation buttons in a Google Maps display?
Posted: 18-Apr-2020 21:06

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I'm using the Jupiter skin and have just gotten Google Maps to display. The user clicks the Globe button and the map appears where the photo used to be. (Well, OK, it's actually a different-size window, but it's similar to the frame the photo was in. Close enough.) All fine.

However, all the navigation buttons disappear - previous slide, next, up, home... The only way out is to click the globe button again. Is there some way to add the nav buttons? Compare the two attached screen shots. I ask because:

1. Inconsistency. This map-view behavior is unlike what the skin does elsewhere. When watching a video, for example, the nav buttons are retained. Thus, this design confronts the user with a non-uniform user interface - always a bad thing.

2. Extra clicks. It's a pain in the neck when all I want to do is flip to the next slide or go up.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks,
Steve

Edited by: jGromit on 18-Apr-2020 15:18, to add the skin name to the thread title
jGromit

Re: Jupiter: Get navigation buttons in a Google Maps display?
Posted: 18-Apr-2020 21:19   in response to: FlyingClub1 in response to: FlyingClub1

(Thread moved - this is a skin-specific question.)
jGromit

Posted: 18-Apr-2020 21:26   in response to: FlyingClub1 in response to: FlyingClub1

An interesting question, and a bit hard to explain....

Each image or video actually has its own page in the album. You can look at the output and see each of those pages in the slides directory.

But there is only one map page in the entire album. There isn't a map page for each image. That one page is just passed some basic information, and the page is created, on the fly, when the visitor clicks the globe icon.

That one page just has no idea where "next," or "previous," or "up" might be. It does know which slide page it came from, because the skin passes that info to the map page - that's how it gets back to the album when you close the map. But recreating all of the navigation would require the calling slide page to pass everything to the map page.

I'll mull it over, but a simple solution is unlikely.

(It's even more problematic in a lightbox skin, BTW.)

ETA: Take a look at what you're seeing in the browser's address bar when you're viewing the map. You'll see all the stuff it's being passed, including the return path. Now imagine how much stuff it would have to be given if it had to include all the navigation.)

Edited by: jGromit on 18-Apr-2020 15:27
FlyingClub1

Posted: 18-Apr-2020 21:51   in response to: FlyingClub1 in response to: FlyingClub1

"But recreating all of the navigation would require the calling slide page to pass everything to the map page."

It looks like "everything" is only 4 variables: home, up, previous, next.

Of course, I don't know what toolset you're working with. And I'm very mindful how true it is that "everything's easy for the man who doesn't have to do it himself." (!) But four variables doesn't seem like a biggy to me. Let me encourage you to fiddle with it and see what you find. I'm sure you could do this.

Regards,
Steve
jGromit

Posted: 18-Apr-2020 22:13   in response to: FlyingClub1 in response to: FlyingClub1

If it was easy, by now I'd have said, "Now why didn't I think of that!" ;)

Like I said, I'll mull it over.
jGromit

Posted: 18-Apr-2020 22:33   in response to: FlyingClub1 in response to: FlyingClub1

FlyingClub1 wrote:
It looks like "everything" is only 4 variables: home, up, previous, next.

What about site home, album home, first image, and last image? And of the total complement, four of them might or might not be disabled, depending upon where you are.

Truth be told, I've been thinking about dumping two of those from the skin entirely: first image and last image. I'm not convinced those are of any particular use to a visitor. Why would he want to go to the last image in the set? And if he wants to go back to the first image, he can easily go back to the thumbnail page and navigate from there.

BTW, the tool set I'm working with is simple: this stuff is all hand-coded. There is no tool set beyond a text editor and a compiler for the UI. And the skill set is somewhat limited. ;)
FlyingClub1

Posted: 18-Apr-2020 23:37   in response to: FlyingClub1 in response to: FlyingClub1

What? "And the skill set is somewhat limited?" Say it ain't so, Joe! I'm the one with the limited skill set. This is where you and jAlbum come in. There's no way on Earth my website's gallery could look as good as it does without my leaning on you guys. And you're doing great.

I'm with you on dropping buttons for first and last.

Add album home and you have 5 variables, not 4. OK. My only experience here is with, say, Visual Basic. There, adding 5 arguments to a subroutine call is simple. They arrive in the called procedure already parsed and ready for use. Here, I see you're having to operate through a URL string. So you have to do your own assembly on the one side and parsing on the other. Yup, that's more involved. Still, I hope you noodle with it a bit. Having a consistent user interface is worth achieving.

Thanks,
Steve
jGromit

Posted: 19-Apr-2020 01:17   in response to: FlyingClub1 in response to: FlyingClub1

FlyingClub1 wrote:
What? "And the skill set is somewhat limited?" Say it ain't so, Joe!

Oh, in the words of Claus von Bulow, "you have no idea."

So you have to do your own assembly on the one side and parsing on the other.

The parsing is the easy part. But once the string is parsed, the page needs to be able to modify its own contents to incorporate that material. On its own, HTML doesn't do that. That's Javascript territory, and that's where things get interesting. I don't know Javascript, despite the fact that I'm using it in a number of places. But getting it to do what I want is a struggle every time. I don't even know enough to be able to ask a sensible question on Stackoverflow, one that won't get me beaten about the head and shoulders.
FlyingClub1

Posted: 19-Apr-2020 14:57   in response to: FlyingClub1 in response to: FlyingClub1

"I don't know Javascript"? I'm astonished to hear that, given all the skins you've made. How is that even possible without JavaScript all over the place? You're more of a CSS virtuoso than I'd even thought. No matter - I think this thread is done. Thank you for considering the idea, and I look forward to your next creation. All the best to you.
RobM

Posted: 19-Apr-2020 15:13   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:> The parsing is the easy part. But once the string is parsed, the page needs to be able to modify its own contents to incorporate that material. On its own, HTML doesn't do that. That's Javascript territory, and that's where things get interesting. I don't know Javascript, despite the fact that I'm using it in a number of places. But getting it to do what I want is a struggle every time. I don't even know enough to be able to ask a sensible question on Stackoverflow, one that won't get me beaten about the head and shoulders.
Would this help ?
jGromit

Posted: 19-Apr-2020 15:42   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

It's all basically Javascript element fiddling, with or without jQuery to help it along. But I've got a bunch of other stuff brewing (beyond the things you already know about), so this gets "back burner." No one else has ever asked for it.
jGromit

Posted: 19-Apr-2020 16:43   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Turning this over in the back of my mind, while working on some other stuff....

Here are some interesting questions. Say you've got image01 through image10. You're sitting on the slide page for image03. You click the globe to get the map page. So far, so good.

Now, you're on the map page. Clearly, if there were a "site home" or "album home" icon, you'd want those to take you to the same places they would take you from the slide page.

Now, consider the "up" icon (in the next release, the slide pages will use "up" rather than "index" to return to the thumbnails). For consistency, that should take you to the thumbnail page. That's OK, I suppose.

What about the "next" icon? Again, for consistency, it should take you to the image04 slide page. Also probably OK.

Now for the fun one. What about the "previous" icon? Should that take you to the image02 slide page? That's what it would do from the image03 slide page. But that doesn't feel right, does it? ;)
RobM

Posted: 19-Apr-2020 16:58   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Now for the fun one. What about the "previous" icon? Should that take you to the image02 slide page? That's what it would do from the image03 slide page. But that doesn't feel right, does it? ;)
It would be what I would expect, or at least prefer. It would feel odd if it went to slide two’s map and I wouldn’t expect previous to be the same as ‘back’ and take me to image three.

But you could ask ten people and get eleven different answers ;)
jGromit

Posted: 19-Apr-2020 17:07   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
It would feel odd if it went to slide two’s map...

That wouldn't be possible at all. Remember, there is no "image02 map page" at this point, and the page you're sitting on wouldn't know what the GPS info was. In fact, image02 might not be geotagged at all.

...and I wouldn’t expect previous to be the same as ‘back’ and take me to image three.

That's what makes it a little weird. Normally, a "back" arrow takes you to wherever you came from.

Just idle speculation at this point.

(This is a bit like the "slide page for a web location" conundrum - you're dealing with a creature that isn't really part of the jAlbum slide show construct.)
jGromit

Posted: 19-Apr-2020 17:08   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

And just for grins, toss in chained directories. ;)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums