This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 17-Feb-2020 17:21 Last Post By: gerbrandy6
gerbrandy6

External links to YouTube video's suddenly displayed differently
Posted: 16-Feb-2020 16:07

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment Video.png (1.6 MB)
Attachment Photo.png (2.7 MB)
Something changed in the layout of displaying external links to my video's on YouTube.
See attached examples of how my photo's (still) look and how my video's look now. Video's were always displayed also in a appr. same sized box.
I can't remember having changed anything in the settings/lay-out and also can't find it now.
In a photo, containg the external link to a YouTube video, I always paste the Embed code of the YT video. It never made any difference if I also filled in the "Box size" or not.
I believe this only happens with Tiger.

Can somebody please help me getting back the lay-out for my video's?
Thx.
jGromit

Re: External links to YouTube video's suddenly displayed differently
Posted: 16-Feb-2020 16:16   in response to: gerbrandy6 in response to: gerbrandy6

Attachment ss006620.png (397.2 KB)
Without a link to a live album, we're just guessing. But it looks like the YouTube video is not opening in a Tiger lightbox, but is, instead, just opening in the browser, raw.

But a quick test shows me that it's working properly. See attached screenshot for the way to enter the YouTube link.
gerbrandy6

Posted: 16-Feb-2020 18:16   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hi jGromit,
As I said it worked fine the previous time that you took a look at my site :-) :

https://www.lex-brigitte.nl/Lex%20Photo's/

It's not opening in YT itself. It is still in a JAlbum "look", but very different. Have a look please. The video's are on the top row on my site, just beneath the map.

For video's I use the Embed code from what YouTube provides to me. For the Cheetah it's
<iframe width="1280" height="720"
src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fqL4ppD0nH8" frameborder="0"
allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture"
allowfullscreen></iframe>
That always worked fine, also in the same kind of box as photo's appear on my site.

Edited by: jGromit on 16-Feb-2020 12:53, to fix link, and to use "code" tags

Edited by: jGromit on 16-Feb-2020 13:29 - still wrestling with the forum formatting. A good illustration of why using an apostrophe in a directory name is a really bad idea!
jGromit

Posted: 16-Feb-2020 18:58   in response to: gerbrandy6 in response to: gerbrandy6

You're plugging in this:
<iframe width="1280" height="720" 
src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fqL4ppD0nH8" frameborder="0"
allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture"
allowfullscreen></iframe>
I told you to plug in this:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/Bj-7LxpF9dA
Do those look like the same format to you? Do you see how they're different? ;)
gerbrandy6

Posted: 16-Feb-2020 20:39   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

They are different yes and it looks already better, but it is still not as it was before.

With all respect:
I told you before that I'm not an expert. So what's wrong with explaining why I should use something different than what YT offers as an Embed code when an apllication is asking for that? I would never come up to enter something like you told me to do.
I has always worked fine, for years. With your Embed code it's still it's not as what it used to be. I don't want almost the whole screen filled with the video. Just the modest default size like how it is played on YT.

So, do you have any idea why it's suddenly playing so differently when I use the YT Embed code (the long version)? Did YouTube changed something in the Embed code?

BTW when I use the box size of the External link (what I never did), it has effect now, so I can adjust the output.

Edited by: gerbrandy6 on 16-Feb-2020 20:44
jGromit

Posted: 16-Feb-2020 21:24   in response to: gerbrandy6 in response to: gerbrandy6

I'm terribly sorry that I told you how to fix this. Please accept my deepest apologies.
gerbrandy6

Posted: 16-Feb-2020 22:27   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I didn't mean to insult you, on the contrary, I have a lot of respect for your knowledge.
But some explanation would be very helpful. I can learn from that.
I still don't know why it worked before with the longer Embed code for years and now not anymore.

Same with my previous problem, using the external link in a picture for navigating to a subfolder. It works now thanks to you, but still don't know why it stopped working the way I did it.
Laza

Posted: 17-Feb-2020 08:39   in response to: gerbrandy6 in response to: gerbrandy6
Helpful
To answer your original question: yes, YouTube has slightly changed the way they provide content within an IFrame. That's why I started to tinker with how external content is sized. Perhaps this triggers wrong layout in some cases.
gerbrandy6

Posted: 17-Feb-2020 17:21   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

OK, thanks a lot. That helps in understanding.
All video's work now in a proper way.
Also thanks to jGromit!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums