This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 11-Mar-2020 05:05 Last Post By: jGromit
bleraillez

Keyboard sounds
Posted: 14-Feb-2020 19:31

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello,

One of my family members told me that there was an annoying "Bing", system sound, every time he pressed a left or right arrow on his keyboard to switch to the next image. He thinks he did an error and the system warns him.

I've looked everywhere in the settings (general and Tiger) but found nowhere I could change this. Can someone tell me how to stop sounds except in videos or as background music? Or telling the user to bring his sound volume to 0 :/

TIA
jGromit

Re: Keyboard sounds
Posted: 14-Feb-2020 19:34   in response to: bleraillez in response to: bleraillez

I don't get any "bing" sound (or any sound at all) when keyboarding from one image to the next, in any skin, in any browser.
wolf-skate

Posted: 14-Feb-2020 20:08   in response to: bleraillez in response to: bleraillez

I some time had 'bing' on my 'keyboard' when my crowded desk had pushed some stable of paper to press on or more keys without I noticed at first = 'key interference' (typically the extra numeric keypad on the left..which I hardly ever use anyway)

could also be other terminal oriented causes for the machine just giving an 'objectionary' sound
bleraillez

Posted: 14-Feb-2020 20:26   in response to: wolf-skate in response to: wolf-skate

wolf-skate wrote:
I some time had 'bing' on my 'keyboard' when my crowded desk had pushed some stable of paper to press on or more keys without I noticed at first = 'key interference' (typically the extra numeric keypad on the left..which I hardly ever use anyway)

could also be other terminal oriented causes for the machine just giving an 'objectionary' sound

I quit all my applications except Safari and the sound is still there, very light but present when at 100% volume.
bleraillez

Posted: 14-Feb-2020 20:30   in response to: bleraillez in response to: bleraillez

bleraillez wrote:
wolf-skate wrote:

I quit all my applications except Safari and the sound is still there, very light but present when at 100% volume.

Ok, I have the same sound if all applications, but Safari, are closed and I ask the Finder to close a window (cmd-w) although no windows are upfront or even opened. It looks like a system alert for a "useless" keystroke.
jGromit

Posted: 14-Feb-2020 21:43   in response to: bleraillez in response to: bleraillez

The arrow keys in Safari on my Macbook are also silent.

Whatever the cause, it's clearly a hardware or system software issue. There's nothing a web page can do about that. It can't turn down the volume, or change the settings.
bleraillez

Posted: 14-Feb-2020 23:26   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:

Whatever the cause, it's clearly a hardware or system software issue. There's nothing a web page can do about that. It can't turn down the volume, or change the settings.

It's a Safari bug since Chrome and Firefox don't have the problem (didn't try Opera...). Strange. I'm going to talk to others about that and try to get some information.
bleraillez

Posted: 15-Feb-2020 21:20   in response to: bleraillez in response to: bleraillez

bleraillez wrote:
jGromit wrote:

It's a Safari bug since Chrome and Firefox don't have the problem (didn't try Opera...). Strange. I'm going to talk to others about that and try to get some information.

A friend found this: the sound is active only when on full screen mode.
bleraillez

Posted: 15-Feb-2020 21:21   in response to: bleraillez in response to: bleraillez

A friend also has the sound, when on full screen mode.
jGromit

Posted: 15-Feb-2020 22:38   in response to: bleraillez in response to: bleraillez

Yes, it happens in Safari when you're in full screen mode.

When watching a video, the arrow keys should do a "skip forward" or "skip backward." In Safari, the arrow keys don't work at all, even when not in full screen. Try it:

(demo video removed)

Clearly, Safari is doing some nonstandard things with the keyboard arrows. YouTube has coded around it, but that shouldn't be necessary. No one wants to return to the bad old days of "browser sniffing."

File a bug report with Apple.

Edited by: jGromit on 11-Mar-2020 00:05
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums