This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 11 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 12-Feb-2020 21:28 Last Post By: jpalik
jpalik

How do I force a slide show to always start at the 1st slide
Posted: 21-Jan-2020 22:29

Click to reply to this thread Reply
After displaying the last picture in a slideshow the display is reset with the banner at the top and the thumbnails displayed below. If I click the start slide show button again the slide show only displays the last picture and the display is reset.

How do I force the slide show to start at the first picture.

See this link http://jpalik.com/StewartMarlow/

Thank you in advance
jGromit

Re: How do I force a slide show to always start at the 1st slide
Posted: 21-Jan-2020 23:00   in response to: jpalik in response to: jpalik

Stubborn little monkey, isn't it? It's trying to start the slideshow wherever you happened to leave off, but when that's the last image, that's clearly not what you want.

In fact, even if you've gone halfway through, then gone back to the index page, I'm not sure that starting where you left off is the best choice. It might make more sense to start with the first image, no matter what - someone who wants to go to image #157 can jolly well click that thumbnail and resume the slideshow.

A feature request for Laza?
Laza

Posted: 22-Jan-2020 07:07   in response to: jpalik in response to: jpalik

The slideshow remembers where you left off, but if you press the "Home" button it will go back to the first image. The skin only remembers the position within an hour, so if you come back later it will reset. Wouldn't it be more irritating if it would reset every time you go back to the index page?
jGromit

Posted: 22-Jan-2020 14:31   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza wrote:
The skin only remembers the position within an hour, so if you come back later it will reset.

I've watched the whole slideshow. I want to watch it again. Do I really have to wait an hour? If I hit the play arrow, it shows me one image, and before I can do anything else (like hitting the up icon), it's back to the index page. Maybe after the last image, delete the cookie.
Laza

Posted: 23-Jan-2020 09:28   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Ah, yes, that should be fixed. But you don't have to wait an hour. Either press "Home" or select the first image in the thumbnails.
jpalik

Posted: 04-Feb-2020 18:48   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Hello Laza,

I posted this question. Because you stated in your last post that "this should be fixed". I assumed that it would be fixed with the next update. I just updated to 2.10.3 and the cookie has still not been removed after the last slide has been displayed.

Another option would be to add a selection check box to the Header > Hero tab next to the "Show "Start Slideshow" that says "Always start at the first slide".

Can you fix this now. It is really annoying.

Thank you,

Jim
Laza

Posted: 05-Feb-2020 10:54   in response to: jpalik in response to: jpalik

Keep calm, the fix is coming today.
jpalik

Posted: 05-Feb-2020 15:34   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Dear Laza,

I am calm and I understand busy. I love Tiger and your responsiveness. I look forward to the fix.

How did you feel about making this fix optional as I suggested by providing a selection check box. If the box is selected, the cookie is not activated and the slide show always starts at the first slide whenever the play slide show is selected.

Thanks again,

Jim
Laza

Posted: 05-Feb-2020 16:38   in response to: jpalik in response to: jpalik

I have just fixed the bug so it will go back to the first photo when the slideshow is over reaching the last one. I don't really see the point going back to the first frame every time the user goes back to the thumbnails. Why is this important?
jpalik

Posted: 06-Feb-2020 09:05   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Dear Laza,

First, thank you for implementing my suggestion. This is important because when displaying a slide show a user frequently may stop and want to start over. This is especially true if you have just viewed the last slide. Having to start at the first slide is not intuitive if you have a start button.

Many times, if the slide show is long, and really good, someone comes into the room and asks if they can see it. Consequently, you just want to stop and start again from the beginning. The same logic applies as above. If there is a start button it is not intuitive to click the first slide to start the slide show.

Note: I understand that you can always start the show beginning at any slide. With a start button, the intuitive logic is that you will start with the first slide.

The good news is that, for me it works perfectly. I love that you made it optional as I suggested by including a selection button. However, there is a small bug. If you select start at slide one, then test it and decide to go back to start with the last slide displayed, the new slide show will not start unless you exit jAlbum.

This may not be noticed by most users. As a retired UI designer and beta tester, I always try to toggle on and off multiple times for testing. It works perfectly for me because I will always leave it to start at the first slide, but I thought you should be aware of this.

One last thought, could you make the delay on the first slide a tiny bit longer.

Thank you so much for implementing this,

Jim

Edited by: jpalik on 06-Feb-2020 09:06
Laza

Posted: 06-Feb-2020 09:08   in response to: jpalik in response to: jpalik

Thanks, I will check it!
jpalik

Posted: 12-Feb-2020 21:28   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Hi Laza,

The delay on the first slide should be about a third longer. When you get a chance :-)

Jim
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums