I do have two backups, one is the Preferences in jAlbum and one is on an external drive and the backup there is by Acronis True Image. Highly recommended by my tech person. I'm waiting to hear from her right now, as a matter of fact, on another matter backed up by Acronis. Across makes a full backup once a week and a daily backup, every morning, consisting only of new data.
And I'm quite sure I only did one save since my erroneous procedure. Yesterday afternoon when I closed the thread, everything was fine. This afternoon when I tried uploading my jAlbum with PhotoBlogger I think I only did one save.
Your PC backups should be able to rescue you, by bringing back the entire project directory from the most recent point before you started experimenting. Nothing more anyone here can do, I'm afraid - we simply don't have access to anything that predates the experiment. We can't even see what the site should look like.
Any way I can attach a jpg here? I did a screen shot of my jAlbum folder, and most of the files are dated 2/3. I didn't do anything until yesterday and I'm sure if I could get my 2/3 version up and running I could take it from there.
Actually, my website looks pretty much the way it should. See: paulwhitingphotography.com
-> on the home page: All photos. Each folder has a title and a small text - they should be below the photo, not on it. The text shouldn't be flush right... it was originally centered, so it was not flush anywhere. Flush left would be best, but never got that right.
-> In the next view, of just one folder: contains all the photos in that folder, text and photos could be a little larger.. (My monitor is 1920 x 1080 pixels) Do photos in this program shrink or expand, depending of their dimensions in ppi and available space?
-> in the single photo page: the text should be under the photo, not over on the left.
Maybe it'd be easier to fix those two or three items then going after the whole website.But I know that things can look simple but not always simple to fix. Maybe you could point to where I can make these adjustments, it's about time I learned those.
I don't know about you, but I think I'll call it a day. Let's continue tomorrow. Aren't you in the States? Seems we exchanged messages last summer, you're in western Montana half the year, and Connecticut the other half. I'm in Billings...maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
My website is back in shape. My tech person came through, she used the Acronis backup program, it was stored on my external hard drive. She was able to go back just one day before my debacle - worked like a charm! Took her only 10-15 minutes.
So that backup scheme worked... but I may get another drive, just to have an extra backup. That Carbonite looks intriguing.
Glad the rescue worked. I knew that would be much easier than trying to tinker with the mangled project to get it back in shape. That kind of guessing game can end up being very frustrating, especially with a skin like Tiger, which is tough to poke around in.
For experimenting, jAlbum now includes a wonderful option. Open the project, then choose File, Duplicate Project. Hey, presto, you now have a complete copy of the "real" project, one that you can toy with to your heart's content, without doing any harm.