This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 09-Feb-2020 21:27 Last Post By: jGromit
rfm2

Mars and Venus banner background max width
Posted: 09-Feb-2020 00:00

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment MarsTest2b.jpg (473.3 KB)
Attachment MarsTest2a.jpg (541.6 KB)
I'm trying to see if I can get the banner background color to cover the full width of the page (as does the body background) but have the text and home icon in the banner restricted to the max table width specified for the thumbnails. With no banner restriction the home icon is on the far left (attachment MarsTest2a). If I use the Code/CSS to restrict the max width of the banner (#ma-notheme > div{max-width: 1080px;}) the home icon is positioned as desired, but the banner background color is also restricted (attachment MarsTest2b). Is there a reasonable CSS line to accomplish what I'm looking for?
jGromit

Re: Mars and Venus banner background max width
Posted: 09-Feb-2020 00:46   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

You're doing violence to my carefully thought-out design decisions. There will be penalty points assessed. ;)

But yes, with a little tinkering, you can get there. A rough example:
#ma-notheme {background-color: #0000003f;}
#ma-notheme > div {background: none; max-width: 1200px;}
In short, we're moving the background color to the wrapping div, then removing it from the inner div, and setting a max-width on that inner div.
rfm2

Posted: 09-Feb-2020 04:31   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I had tried out the "#ma-notheme {background-color: #0000003f;}" without the > and div, but I hadn't thought about the "none" in "#ma-notheme > div {background: none; max-width: 1200px;}". In most instances it probably doesn't make a lot of difference (hence your "well thought out design"), but for a very wide screen with a 1080px thumb box, the home icon is so far to the left as to be inconvenient. That gets back to our previous discussion about the left/right arrows being on-image or off-image. I'm still an on-image fan.

I was doing this exercise to see if moving from my beloved Neptune (in which I can accomplish the desired objective described above) to Mars made any sense for me. You know how long it took for me to move from Matrix to Neptune, so don't hold your breath waiting for me to become a Mars disciple.

Anyhow, thanks for your usual quick response to get that burr out from under my saddle.
jGromit

Posted: 09-Feb-2020 14:51   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Attachment ss006610.png (805.4 KB)
In a lot of ways, Mars is sort of a stripped-down mix of Neptune and Pluto, and more minimalist than either.

For my personal use, it's more appealing for only one reason. See screenshot. This seems like a tiny, insignificant thing, but it was the thing I most missed from Matrix. And doing it required some surprisingly involved changes in the underlying coding. The creator of the Floatbox script told me there was no way to get there. ;)
rfm2

Posted: 09-Feb-2020 19:16   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment NeptuneTest.jpg (899.9 KB)
Attachment MarsTest.jpg (620.8 KB)
I have made only 1 for-real Venus album, and no for-real Mars albums (yet), so I hadn't really noticed that 5px gap below the Venus/Mars slides compared to the Neptune slides. I have made a few Mars test albums, so I made a Neptune test album that was almost the same as a Mars album (with it's appropriate CSS adds), and compared the two (attachments MarsTest and NeptuneTest). That subtle change really does make a significant aesthetic difference, especially when you add a slide border.

Now....(I'm sure you were just waiting for this).... when are you going to add the feature to Neptune? :-)
jGromit

Posted: 09-Feb-2020 19:25   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Probably never.

I do prefer the aesthetics of it, but it requires more changes to the underlying code than you would imagine, even down to things like navigation icons - notice that there aren't any in the caption area in Mars. It also means that Mars can't offer any positioning options for the caption, nor can it include an image counter. It also eliminates the possibility for a timed slideshow, simply because the play/pause control can't be put in the caption.

The Mars caption is bypassing all of the normal Floatbox functions for that space. Whatever it puts in that box is coming purely from the skin coding, rather than from the Floatbox script.
rfm2

Posted: 09-Feb-2020 19:49   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Oh well, maybe - but just maybe - I'll be tilted from Neptune to Mars quicker than I think.
jGromit

Posted: 09-Feb-2020 19:55   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Just keep in mind the things that Mars does not include:

https://jgromit.com/features.html

From what I've seen of your albums, none of those exclusions would be a show-stopper.
rfm2

Posted: 09-Feb-2020 21:01   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

That's right. I did look at the comparison table before I continued working with the Mars test albums. Neptune has a couple of things I can do with the regular UI entries that I can't with the Mars UI, but each of those things I can accomplish in Mars with a couple of CSS lines. I'll probably make my next regular, posted album with Mars just to see if I get any feedback from my family/friends users.
jGromit

Posted: 09-Feb-2020 21:27   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

If they're anything like my family and friends, they won't even notice the change. You could probably switch from Minimal to Animatics, and most of them wouldn't notice. I'm only half-kidding!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums