This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 02-Feb-2020 00:49 Last Post By: JeffTucker
rfm2

Neptune - folder title background opacity
Posted: 01-Feb-2020 19:49

Click to reply to this thread Reply
What CSS element controls the opacity of the background of the folder title/comment that is displayed on the page of a group of folders?
JeffTucker

Re: Neptune - folder title background opacity
Posted: 01-Feb-2020 20:24   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Not quite sure which element you're referring to. In this case, a screenshot would, indeed, be a help!
rfm2

Posted: 01-Feb-2020 22:59   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Sorry to be so slow getting back to your quick response. The album-with-sub-albums is one I created long ago with Matrix, and I am in the process of converting it to Neptune. I have attached the screen shot of the main album opening page. The name of each sub album is shown in a block that is semi-transparent. I wanted to see if I could decrease the opacity. Thanks.
JeffTucker

Posted: 01-Feb-2020 23:45   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Attachment opac30.png (112,1 KB)
Attachment opaccombo.png (115,6 KB)
Attachment opac70.png (110,0 KB)
Ah, I see. It's difficult to target that with CSS alone - it really needs to be addressed by changing the Javascript variables that are passed to the script that handles the justified thumbnails (which needs skin code-hacking) and also tinkering with the CSS.

If you try to do this by tweaking one or the other, I'm guessing you wouldn't like the results very much. For example, when you make the caption less opaque, the lettering goes with it. The default is 70%, but take a look at the attached screenshots to see what happens at 30%.

By going after both pieces - making the caption 100% opaque, but then changing the background color from solid black to an alpha channel color at 20%, I can achieve what you see in opaccombo.png. But on an image with a light background, the lettering would again start disappearing. It would be an exercise in frustration, I think.
rfm2

Posted: 02-Feb-2020 00:40   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I thought about the fact that making the title/image count background less dark (less opaque) would mean that the title/image count text color would have to be a variable, and I could find a color that would be acceptable for each of the folder thumbnail images (a challenge in itself). Now that i have looked at it more carefully I see that the text color is not even available as a variable in the present UI. Leading me to the conclusion that the combo of white text on a dark, semi-transparent background was chosen as a fixed set to avoid the necessity of one or more additional variables. In light of your explanation of the process, my thought (hope?) of a simple CSS element to change the opacity and a variable to change the text color was very unrealistic. The way it is now is just fine.

Thanks for looking at it and explaining it for me.
JeffTucker

Posted: 02-Feb-2020 00:49   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

rfm2 wrote:
... the combo of white text on a dark, semi-transparent background was chosen as a fixed set to avoid the necessity of one or more additional variables.

Precisely. It would get even more interesting when you have a mix of images, some with dark backgrounds and some with light backgrounds (you can run into the same problem with theme images, if there's no "dimming" layer behind the titles). Fun for the whole family. ;)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums