Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 25 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 23-Jan-2020 14:27 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

jAlbum 19.3 beta
Posted: 14-Jan-2020 15:26
I've now put together jAlbum 19.3 beta 1 that offers a "Keep both" option as you add files. Check it out and let me know what you think:

This version also fixes an issue with non working international date formats and this version also respects a deleted Sample Portfolio project (doesn't recreate it on start up)

Installers:
Windows: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe
Mac: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.dmg
Any system: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.zip
jGromit

Re: jAlbum 19.3 beta
Posted: 14-Jan-2020 15:42   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I've now put together jAlbum 19.3 beta 1 that offers a "Keep both" option as you add files. Check it out and let me know what you think:

I like it - very useful for my huge family album, in which duplicate file names are a constant problem. :)

It passed my quick tests, including adding the same image several times - I thought that might trip it up, but it correctly increments the suffix.
davidekholm

Posted: 14-Jan-2020 16:52   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Thanks for testing
jGromit

Posted: 14-Jan-2020 21:32   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
In macOS, it complains about not being able to check the app for malicious software - probably a problem with the signing/notarizing. Not a big deal, since you can start it from Finder, after which it's happy, but for the final release, it needs to be sharpened.

Let us know when you're in Rampdown Phase II, when you turn the release candidate over to the jAlbum Quality Control Division. I do love the lofty-sounding phrases some organizations use to describe their routine for releasing updates. ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 16-Jan-2020 18:22   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
In macOS, it complains about not being able to check the app for malicious software - probably a problem with the signing/notarizing. Not a big deal, since you can start it from Finder, after which it's happy, but for the final release, it needs to be sharpened.

Let us know when you're in Rampdown Phase II, when you turn the release candidate over to the jAlbum Quality Control Division. I do love the lofty-sounding phrases some organizations use to describe their routine for releasing updates. ;)

Will do. I'm aware I bumped into an issue when notarizing. Will naturally ensure we don't get that error when producing the sharp version.
davidekholm

Posted: 17-Jan-2020 10:32   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Please patch 19.3 with the following files:
http://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar
http://jalbum.net/download/beta/texts.properties

Changes:
  • "Make changes" now called "Make Test"
  • "Make All" now called "Force Remake"
  • "Album Project" renamed as "Project" everywhere
  • Settings->Advanced->General now has an improved date format field which shows the default date pattern if left empty. The example instead shows an example of the current date expressed using the current pattern, and includes a link to a guide that explains the date patterns
  • Preferences->General now includes a similar date format field, which is now used by various parts of jAlbum's UI (album information and image information tool-tips)

The intent with the name changes is to lower the risk of confusion. An "Album Project" is not an "Album" and we already sometimes simply use the term "Project". Let's be consistent.
The intent with the updated date format fields is to simplify getting a suitable date format for both jAlbum's UI and the final album. (I thought Java would pick up the date formatting from Mac OS X, but it only picked up the locale it seems)
RobM

Posted: 17-Jan-2020 11:50   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
The intent with the name changes is to lower the risk of confusion. An "Album Project" is not an "Album" and we already sometimes simply use the term "Project". Let's be consistent.
Preferences/General/Save backup of album projects ;)
jGromit

Posted: 17-Jan-2020 12:11   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:

I think I'm feeling faint, and will need sit down for a bit....

* "Album Project" renamed as "Project" everywhere

Too bad "image directory" is so strongly embedded in the app. Changing that one to the more logical "project directory" would be nasty, since things like keyboard shortcuts are also involved (you can't change CTRL-SHIFT-I to CTRL-SHIFT-P, since that's taken already).

Good changes, though I feel a few coffee cups' worth of global search-and-replace sessions coming on. My skin manuals are numerous, but happily I have good tools for dealing with them in huge chunks. At least this will keep RobM off the streets for a while.
RobM

Posted: 17-Jan-2020 12:14   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

I think I'm feeling faint, and will need sit down for a bit....

* "Album Project" renamed as "Project" everywhere
At least this will keep RobM off the streets for a while.
Only a five minute job ;)
jGromit

Posted: 17-Jan-2020 13:05   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:

OK, it's now been more than five minutes. How'd you like to wade into this one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalbum

Stumbled on it the other day, and realized that it was loaded with anachronisms, starting with Jalbum instead of jAlbum, and moving on to licensing, Flash, skins....

ETA: And while you're at it, perhaps it's time to change your username to WikiBoy. ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 17-Jan-2020 13:14   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Preferences/General/Save backup of album projects ;)

Good that you spotted that one.
ctwist

Posted: 17-Jan-2020 14:46   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
"Make changes" now called "Make Test"
I don't like this. "Test" suggests that you are trying something that will not be saved permanently. "Make changes" makes more sense to me.
"Make All" now called "Force Remake"
That's good.
jGromit

Posted: 17-Jan-2020 14:49   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
The problem with Make Changes has always been that users think that's what they should use in order to process whatever settings changes they have made. But that's manifestly not what it does. It won't reprocess images, even if it needs to.

Frankly, it's an option that I would get rid of entirely. I think it's so misunderstood as to be effectively useless. I don't think I've ever chosen that option.
jGromit

Posted: 17-Jan-2020 14:58   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
For those who don't understand the danger of Make Changes/Test, try a simple experiment. Add a few images to a new project. Choose Minimal, and set the thumbnail image bounds to their default of 124x124. Turn off HiDPI thumbnails, just to make the problem more obvious. Now Make Album and preview it.

Now change the thumbnail image bounds to 240x240, choose Make Changes/Test, and preview again. Bigger thumbnails, right? But they look terrible, don't they?! That's because jAlbum has not actually generated new thumbnails. It's showing you the 124x124 thumbnails in a 240x240 space. If you think that's the finished album, you couldn't be more wrong.

ETA: And it goes beyond that. A user thinks that maybe using bigger images will make a better-looking album. He uses Make Changes/Test, then looks at the result. He decides that using bigger images wasn't such a good idea after all - the album looks awful. Not the correct conclusion, needless to say. ;)
RobM

Posted: 17-Jan-2020 17:41   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:

OK, it's now been more than five minutes. How'd you like to wade into this one?

Been out on errands.
I notice an early edit of that article by one ‘Jimberryau’, so I think I’ll leave this one for him ;)
Stumbled on it the other day, and realised that it was loaded with anachronisms, starting with Jalbum instead of jAlbum, and moving on to licensing, Flash, skins....

ETA: And while you're at it, perhaps it's time to change your username to WikiBoy. ;)

Thanks for knocking fifty plus years off my age!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums