Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 18-Dec-2019 14:01 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
fromatoz

japanese calligraphy
Posted: 27-Nov-2019 09:12
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
i thought i’d share my wife’s little gallery with some of her calligraphies. we change them only once a year or so. a few guys here already know the gallery because i was asking many stupid questions. sorry for that.

https://mount-sushi.com/calligraphy/index.html

i’m a long time user of jalbum, and for many years my favorite skin was banana. it was minimalistic and beautiful. but flash is gone, and so is banana.

now i’m using fancybox. i’m really grateful to aw who sorted out a few details, but also to jg who is always very supportive in this forum.

i wanted a gallery that nicely presents all the images on a single page, with slides that only show a picture and its caption.

important to me was also a smooth slide-in transition, no distracting frames, shadows, buttons, tooltips and movements of any kind. if you start the slideshow, there is only the image and some text. nothing else. i love that.

thank you.

PS excuse me, i forgot to ask for a little favor ... if there is somebody out there who owns an apple device, be it laptop or iphone or ipad, could you please check the gallery in the link above for a minute and tell me if something doesn't work as expected or does look weird? i just noticed that i have no apple friends ... funny.

i'm sorry for bothering you, and thanks a lot!

PPS ah, i forgot to say why i'm asking. because i got rid of lot's of files and code in the outputted album. there is a reason for this ... i will write about it later, in a new topic.

Edited by: fromatoz on 17-Dec-2019 18:05

Edited by: fromatoz on 17-Dec-2019 18:25
RobM

Re: japanese calligraphy
Posted: 17-Dec-2019 22:06   in response to: fromatoz in response to: fromatoz
The album looks fine on my iPad and MacBook Pro.
mrag

Posted: 17-Dec-2019 23:34   in response to: fromatoz in response to: fromatoz
Attachment calig1.jpg (60.5 KB)
Attached screenshot from iPhone8. I'd say it works although would highly recommend staying with iPad or larger screens. I like the album, but am lost with calligraphy. Seems like I'm looking at Rorschach ink blots ;-)
jGromit

Posted: 17-Dec-2019 23:51   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
Attachment homepage.jpg (21.4 KB)
Attachment thumbgrid.jpg (26.1 KB)
Took a quick visit with Chrome for Android. Your homepage is virtually unusable at that scale - the links are unreadable. See homepage.png.

In the gallery itself, there's a thumbnail grid spacing error. See thumbgrid.png. This is a known JustifiedGallery error, and there's an as-yet-unreleased patch (from over a year ago!) to cure it.
fromatoz

Posted: 18-Dec-2019 00:07   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM: thanks for checking!

mrag: yeah, on larger screens it looks definitely better. what i see in your screenshot: there is no fullscreen icon between the slideshow and the close button? calligraphy: the rorschach ink blots are 3000-5000 years old, and even now easy to read 笑

jGromit: i'm aware of the grid spacing error. it's not a big deal for me. and probably only a few even notice. but thank you for the hint. where did you find the info about the unreleased patch? tried do find it, with no luck. unusable / unreadable homepage: agree, but using your fingers to zoom-in doesn't help? (then tap a button, then go landscape ...)

Edited by: fromatoz on 18-Dec-2019 00:29
jGromit

Posted: 18-Dec-2019 08:02   in response to: fromatoz in response to: fromatoz
The skin developer should make this patch, rather than having a user do it manually. In any event, it's here:

https://github.com/miromannino/Justified-Gallery/pull/286/files
fromatoz

Posted: 18-Dec-2019 09:20   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
thanks!

ps: changing the thumb size to 120 (which is, according to the developer, the preferred row height) resolved the issue on my smartphone.

Edited by: fromatoz on 18-Dec-2019 09:27
jGromit

Posted: 18-Dec-2019 14:01   in response to: fromatoz in response to: fromatoz
fromatoz wrote:
ps: changing the thumb size to 120 (which is, according to the developer, the preferred row height) resolved the issue on my smartphone.

A lucky coincidence. There's nothing in the JustifiedGallery script that makes any size "preferred," so I can't comment on that. I use the same script in several of my skins, and the row height is controlled by the thumbnail image bounds, with an adjustment so that the slight "enlarging" of the thumbnails on mouseover doesn't push them beyond their actual sizes, which would produce a loss of clarity.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums