This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 28 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: 18-Dec-2019 00:51 Last Post By: RobM
RobM

Re: JOURNAL align images and text
Posted: 09-Dec-2019 20:43   in response to: christr in response to: christr

Click to reply to this thread Reply
christr wrote:
This afternoon I made my 2020-NewYear wish. Can I put that image file as a addendum to this message?
There are two ways to do that, one is to just attach it by clicking on the ‘choose file’ button or just enter
!URL of image on your server!
where you want the image to appear.

In both case just edit the post or start a new one if necessary.
christr

Posted: 09-Dec-2019 21:37   in response to: christr in response to: christr

The recipe is in dutch.
I thimk most dutch words are more or less simlular to english.
if you want a translation of the recipe, please tell me.
I am happy to give the translation a try. Or I use Google Translation, of course.

Chris
AndreWolff

Posted: 09-Dec-2019 22:41   in response to: christr in response to: christr

christr wrote:
The recipe is in dutch.
Geen probleem!
Bedankt!
RobM

Posted: 12-Dec-2019 16:23   in response to: christr in response to: christr

christr wrote:
Again some remarks, no real problems left.
1 the "h2 - /h2" etc gives an extra empty line. I do not like that. Much space in use for no reason. In case I want a extra line, I hit the ENTER.
I have defined the font size and line height for h1 to h5 tags, but they are not used by
the skin, just to suggest defaults for the project creator. If you meant the space around the word 'Index' then that should appear less with the new (release 6) skin update. If not can you say/show exactly what you mean?
2 forcing text to a next line: <break> is doeing the job, but CTRL-ENTER too!
Ik was looking for the right escape sign, did not found it. (is on your instruction/demo site). Maybee a good thing to adjust the instruction/demo pages, including of course the new 'float' possibilities.
When entering text in jAlbum's comment field you can use SHIFT + RETURN/ENTER keys to create a break tag.

My skin note, in the 'About' text:
If you prefer writing content in an external editor and then pasting it into jAlbum's description
or comment fields then 'newline' is converted to a break tag.
You can split text onto more than one line, to make it easier to read, without creating a
break tag by entering an escape '\' character before pressing newline.
That is purely about entering text outside of jAlbum and copying and pasting it into the
comment field within jAlbum.

I have updated the help pages now.
3 I tested the max length op de image at the top of pages. The image at last page, the Apfelsine, has a with of 1000 pix. You see about the half of it. No problemm but....
I'm not seeing any issue with that page, the Apfelsine image is actually scaled to 600x450, but it is not cropped at all.
4 I tested the page layout by making the window on my desktop smaller and wider.
The text is adjusting beautifull. No problem there. But....
I like to makeup text/images in a way the page looks good. I
So: give me the oportunity to specify the max page with. In Photoblogger I use 1240 pix, works good.
Then is it probably possible to let me use top-of-page images with any width, and you truncate them to te max width of te page.
It isn't possible to set a max page width, sorry.
Except for the theme image the page design is based on twelve columns, so each column is 8.33% of the browser's window width. On small phones the text and images fit within 10 columns (83.3%), medium sized screens it is 8 columns (66%) and large monitors it is 6 columns (50%).

This design choice keeps the content in the centre of the browser window regardless of browser size.

I have added an option to choose between the current theme image style (cover) and a new (constrain) one, that shrinks/expands with the browser width, but that always shows all of the image. You have to make sure that the theme image cropping is correctly set in jAlbum's Explore window, see http://jalbum.net/help/en/jAlbum/Explore#Folder_properties_pane

Note, the constrain option might not look good on small devices, so each page should be looked at with the browser window width set to about 600px.

5 The last one!
I used on the Absinthe and te Vespetro pages multiple image with several sizes, the text the same.
I made the images so they fit in an rectangle of 600x600 or 300x300 or 200x200 pix.
You see the results on those pages.
Is it possible to specify the display demensions of images?
You do not enlarged them in the skin, you only minize the demensions proportional if the original image demensions are larger than the display sizes I requested?
The images will display at full size only if there is enough room to fit them.
On the float settings they will never be full size, only 66% of full size. That is to ensure text still wraps around the image on most modern phones, without it you might get only a few characters of text next to the image, which looks really bad.

If you still don't get results like the sample album, try downloading the sample project
So, the Journal skin is a real wonder. If you want an other demo site: use mine, for at least one year, URL above.
That is very kind of you, I'll add a note to the skin's page with a link to it, once you have finished making any changes to the layout.
RobM

Posted: 12-Dec-2019 16:34   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
RobM wrote:
There is a setting Typography > Set line length for text, it just needs increasing from the default.
That are pixels, which is not responsive.
To get it responsive I think you should offer a length in %.
I made a poor choice of default values and how this setting was applied, the new release fixes that. The setting is still in pixels as it is designed specifically to affect the text line length only on screen sizes wider than 768px. The option is intended to be used if you want to limit the text length such that you can read all of the text without moving your head, which should aid in comprehension of the article. So, it is designed to make comment elements not be responsive. It does not apply to floated images as it would look awful.
christr

Posted: 12-Dec-2019 18:18   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Hello RobH!

So far: I am happy with version 6.

Please check this:
settings:
set line length for text: 300 px
typographic scale: 1,067
select image alignment: left
see: http://www.imagixs.net/likeuren/Kruidenlikeuren/Absinth/index.html
content is small.

then check:
http://www.imagixs.net/likeuren/Citruslikeuren/Vespetro/index.html`
content is *wide*!.

Now I an trying to get text and images - you can say- in to colums. Ik will lose that fight. Your skin is not a deskpublishing app.

I am busy tomorrow, so do not hurry wish the adjustments of your skin, and kiss the family in the weekend!

For now: see my New Year wish - for you in English.

TXS for now,

Chris

Edited by: christr on 12-Dec-2019 18:20
RobM

Posted: 12-Dec-2019 22:45   in response to: christr in response to: christr

christr wrote:
Hello RobH!

So far: I am happy with version 6.

Great, I hope it stays that way after reading below!
Please check this:
settings:
set line length for text: 300 px
typographic scale: 1,067
select image alignment: left
see: http://www.imagixs.net/likeuren/Kruidenlikeuren/Absinth/index.html
content is small.

then check:
http://www.imagixs.net/likeuren/Citruslikeuren/Vespetro/index.html`
content is *wide*!.

First, uncheck the checkbox for line length and save the project. Switch to another project and then back to this one. Now reselect the limit line length, it now defaults to 800px with a minimum of 600px and a maximum of 900px. remake the album and look at the results again. This is how it should have worked before, but I made a few wrong choices.

The line limit now only works for the first three image alignment options, left, centre and right, it is not active at all for the float left or float right settings. If it applied to the float options the layout would look really ugly.

Further, it only limits the text on browsers that are wider then 768px or the length set, which ever is bigger.

The typography section of the skin manual now states:
'This defaults to being deselected, if selected it is only active with left, centre and right alignment options above, it has no effect on float left or float right.

It limits the line length of album, folder and comment texts within the range of 600px to 900px, in steps of 20px with a default value of 800px. if the browser window is greater than 768px wide. It is intended to be used if you want to limit the text length such that you can read all of the text without moving your head, which should aid in comprehension of the article.

You can see its effect, on a large monitor, in this article by looking at this text (a single sentence with no breaks). Start with a narrow browser window and slowly widen it's width. Notice the text sits in the centre of the window until the browser's width exceeds the 768px threshold. Then the space on the right of the text is greater than that on the left.'
Now I an trying to get text and images - you can say- in to colums. Ik will lose that fight. Your skin is not a deskpublishing app.
It is not in columns, but it is designed to do what columns do in papers, for example, make it easier to read by reducing the line length to what the eye can easily follow.
I am busy tomorrow, so do not hurry wish the adjustments of your skin, and kiss the family in the weekend!
Just get in touch when you need to.
For now: see my New Year wish - for you in English.
Thanks very much for the eCard. I hope you have a good new year too. (I'm part Scottish, especially round Hogmany ;) )
RobM

Posted: 13-Dec-2019 22:34   in response to: christr in response to: christr

Attachment Journal Beta.jaskin (156,9 KB)
I have been trying to update the CSS so that the limit line length will work with any of the image alignment options, and think I have got it working. I have attached a beta version of the skin for testing. Double click the downloaded file to install it, then select it (Journal Beta).

Check the limit text box and set the limit of the text length at 600px. Try building an album with each of the image alignment options and see how it looks when you widen and narrow the browser width. If happy with it I will release it as a new version on the skin's page.
christr

Posted: 14-Dec-2019 20:38   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Oh, man!

Hogmany! Cold!
I visited Edinburgh eayrs ago, with my 2-cnd wife.
The town is so grey, so depressing!
That you survive! You must be a strong man.
Advise: Move over to Amsterdam. Tomorrow: 9 degrees (celsius) in Amstrerdam.

About the skin.
I am working with the beta.
I am not sure abaout the charasierics of 'cover' and 'constain'.
Working on that.
I will report my results on that, and on the appearands of the page-image things later.
I try to consume your remarks, your mentioned restrictions on the design of the skin.
I try to give you my ideas about the results I am trying to gain and the the results the skin is giving me.

Sorry for my poor Scottish. HiHi.
Happy with the results of the votings yesterday? Johnson is making thwe steps neccecary to lrrave tje EU?
Voting LibDem?

It was a intresting day today, for me.
Have a nice sunday, up there in the north.

Chris
RobM

Posted: 14-Dec-2019 23:07   in response to: christr in response to: christr

christr wrote:
Oh, man!

Hogmany! Cold!
I visited Edinburgh eayrs ago, with my 2-cnd wife.
The town is so grey, so depressing!
That you survive! You must be a strong man.
Advise: Move over to Amsterdam. Tomorrow: 9 degrees (celsius) in Amstrerdam.

I’m only part Scottish, my father was from Aberdeen but I was born, and live, in England. It will be a nice 5 degrees Celsius tomorrow :)
Sorry for my poor Scottish. HiHi.
Happy with the results of the votings yesterday? Johnson is making thwe steps neccecary to lrrave tje EU?
Voting LibDem?
Very happy with the result, now we can get Brexit done :)
christr

Posted: 15-Dec-2019 18:18   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Hello RobH.

I am happy, see the document.

TXS for your good work!
Chris
RobM

Posted: 16-Dec-2019 21:29   in response to: christr in response to: christr
Correct
Glad you are mostly happy, but I'm not sure what you mean by:
'The initial size of the images on the Journal-pages and the images on top of those pages. The intial size depends of …. the print size of the images (Photoshop). Not happy with that.
The normal images are just constrained by the normal jAlbum>Images>slides setting, as long as the window is big enough to display them. They only shrink if the browser window is not big enough to fit the image, and if a float option is selected the text. This is normal responsive behaviour.
Especialy the sizes of the page-top images are a pain in the <…>.
And, the page-top images are forced to fit bij crob them: bottom and left side.
Makes me sad. Resizing is better and the result is more predictible.
'
With Journal >Images > Theme image set to to 'Contain' the top (theme) images are not cropped unless the browser window is not wide enough to fit them in, then the left and right sides are cropped (hidden). If you change the Journal >Images > Theme image setting to 'Cover' the whole image is always shown, but it will reduce in height to keep the aspect ratio (stop image distortions). Cover will work best if the theme images are not very wide, so it is no wider than the width of the normal images and text. There isn't any other way of displaying the theme images.

I will release the skin as another version in a day or two, as I don't think I can make any further changes to improve the layout.
christr

Posted: 16-Dec-2019 22:31   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Hello RobH!

I am still happy. I misunderstood 'cover' and 'contain'.
Yes release the new version!

TXS again

Chris
RobM

Posted: 17-Dec-2019 22:01   in response to: christr in response to: christr

christr wrote:
Hello RobH!

I am still happy. I misunderstood 'cover' and 'contain'.
Yes release the new version!

TXS again

Chris

New version (7) uploaded. New alignment option and updated templates - replace any in use in your project by the new ones in the skin. Other minor changes to improve the look of pages.

I have added a link to your album on the skin's page, thanks for a real world example.

Edited by: jGromit on 17-Dec-2019 16:58 - single quotes in link text clobbers the link. I learned something new today!

Edited by: RobM on 17-Dec-2019 23:46
I think I’ve done that before but forgot to use & apos ; (without the spaces)

Edited by: jGromit on 17-Dec-2019 18:51. The forum software is always a journey of discovery. ;)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums