This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 06-Nov-2019 10:49 Last Post By: AndreWolff Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
fromatoz

PhotoSwipe 2.5.0 - Settings "Show in thumbnail tooltip"
Posted: 04-Nov-2019 08:15

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Index page / General / Show in thumbnail tooltip > I wonder where in the code the relevant false / true var for "Comment" is?

I tried to find it but failed.

Thanks for your help!
AndreWolff

Re: PhotoSwipe 2.5.0 - Settings "Show in thumbnail tooltip"
Posted: 04-Nov-2019 08:19   in response to: fromatoz in response to: fromatoz

fromatoz wrote:
Index page / General / Show in thumbnail tooltip > I wonder where in the code the relevant false / true var for "Comment" is?
Comment is a string, not a logical variable. If the length of that string is 0, there is no comment.

showDescriptionHint is the variable who determines whether comment is used in a hint, but that variable is not availble in the javascript code.
fromatoz

Posted: 04-Nov-2019 09:21   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Ah, I see. But I'd like to investigate a little further: When in "Index page / General / Show in thumbnail tooltip" I put a check mark for "Comment" where exactly (file name, line number) does the difference (comment checked vs. unchecked) show up in the outputted code?

Thanks again for your help!

PS: Got it. The title tag for each img makes the difference in the index.html file, of course. Problem solved, question answered.

Edited by: fromatoz on 04-Nov-2019 09:34
AndreWolff

Posted: 04-Nov-2019 10:53   in response to: fromatoz in response to: fromatoz

fromatoz wrote:
Ah, I see. But I'd like to investigate a little further: When in "Index page / General / Show in thumbnail tooltip" I put a check mark for "Comment" where exactly (file name, line number) does the difference (comment checked vs. unchecked) show up in the outputted code?
That is simple, just do a global search for 'showDescriptionHint ' in the skin code.

But you better tell me what feature you like to add or change, if it is interestingI could add this feature!
fromatoz

Posted: 04-Nov-2019 14:22   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

PhotoSwipe is close to perfect :-)
I just need to manually adjust the code in a few files here and there to get the look I am looking for (super simple and clean):
https://mount-sushi.com/calligraphy/gallery/index.html
AndreWolff

Posted: 04-Nov-2019 20:51   in response to: fromatoz in response to: fromatoz

fromatoz wrote:
PhotoSwipe is close to perfect :-)
I just need to manually adjust the code in a few files here and there to get the look I am looking for (super simple and clean):
https://mount-sushi.com/calligraphy/gallery/index.html
Sorry, I still don't understand what you like to implement.
And I think it is a good idea to set check-mark "Use tooltips" on the General page, so that you can see the comment also on mobile devices.
fromatoz

Posted: 04-Nov-2019 23:12   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

It's only small things like:
~ replace bulky, distracting buttons
~ add meta property
~ get rid of automatically created false links because of "..." in comments / captions
~ replace zoom-in with pointer
~ replace bold font with normal font
~ add a code snippet to have the scroll-bar always visible
~ replace photoswipe.min.js with another version (because the one in your updated skin doesn't seem to support animated transition)
~ make the slides loop
~ make the nav bar stay much longer than 10 s
~ simplify redundant hardcoded tooltips etc. etc.

You see, just a few details. And as long as I can change it manually all is good.

Nevertheless, I was looking forward to a more elegant, up to date skin like Lucid, but unfortunately captions are placed on top of the image, and I definitely don't want that.
AndreWolff

Posted: 05-Nov-2019 10:50   in response to: fromatoz in response to: fromatoz

fromatoz wrote:
It's only small things like:
Well, you should better look at the user interface and the manual, because most of your points are implemented!
~ replace bulky, distracting buttons
That is possible, just select another buttons set at the the 'General' skin settings tab
~ add meta property
That is possible, just choose option 'Always' or 'Via the menu' in the group 'Show EXIF info below the slide image' at the the 'Slide page / Layout' skin settings tab.
~ get rid of automatically created false links because of "..." in comments / captions
I did not think that anybody should use '…' in a comment! Why do you use '…' in your comment? What is the meaning? Can't you replace that with something else or use just 2 dots or can't you insert a space between the dots?
~ replace zoom-in with pointer
Why should I? The pointer indicates that if you click, the image will be enlarged, just a pointer says nothing!
~ replace bold font with normal font
That is possible, just select one of the 30 different fonts with the 'Use for the other text Font-family' combo-box at the the 'General' skin settings tab or choose one of the more than 100 Google Fonts on that tab.
~ add a code snippet to have the scroll-bar always visible
Nonsense!
~ replace photoswipe.min.js with another version (because the one in your updated skin doesn't seem to support animated transition)
Animation is possible, just set check-mark 'Animated slide transitions' on the 'Slide page / Options' skin settings tab.
~ make the slides loop
A slides loop is possible, just clear check-mark 'Stop after the last slide' on the 'Slide page / Options' skin settings tab.
~ make the nav bar stay much longer than 10 s
That is possible, just leave the mouse pointer in the light-box window and the nav buttons will stay forever.
~ simplify redundant hardcoded tooltips etc. etc.
Nonsense!
You see, just a few details. And as long as I can change it manually all is good.
Apparently you are not aware that you can change settings in the skins user interface! You use the wrong tools if you are going to change the code to get this done!
Nevertheless, I was looking forward to a more elegant, up to date skin like Lucid, but unfortunately captions are placed on top of the image, and I definitely don't want that.
Lucid is a nice skin, with limited features. If you like a thumbnails page and more possibilities, you could use the FancyBox skin where the light-box library is more actively maintained as the PhotoSwipe skin.
fromatoz

Posted: 05-Nov-2019 12:48   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

of course i know there is a user interface for the settings, but ... everything has a reason :-)

bulky buttons: you are right, i didnt see this

"..." in comments: why do i use them? for instance, when i cite just the first line of a poem ... there are many reasons for people to use "..." no need to patronize.

get rid of zoom icon: because i don't like it (ugly)

bold font: the home link was bold. wanted to get rid of that (ugly)

scroll-bar on the justified gallery page: since i changed the bulky square home button to just a link, it jumped a little when i clicked on an image, i don't know why. the scroll-bar keeps the home link in place.

animation: checked that, but didnt work

loop: no, in the user interface i see no setting for the last slide moving to the first one. looping works only with "slide show"?

nav bar: no, whereever i put the cursor in the browser window - it disappears after 10s (firefox, chrome)

hardcoded tooltips: "next slide" / "previous slide" button: "(right arrow key)" / "(left arrow key)" is superfluous additional information because everyone knows. i want to keep things simple.

conclusion: the user interface is good for the basic settings. the fine tuning i prefer to do in the code. much more control over all kind of things.

that's it and thank you.

Edited by: fromatoz on 05-Nov-2019 12:58

Edited by: fromatoz on 05-Nov-2019 13:01
jGromit

Posted: 05-Nov-2019 15:18   in response to: fromatoz in response to: fromatoz

I can't imagine why the skin is translating an ellipsis into a link, but the easy fix is to use an HTML entity for it, instead:
Now is the time…
Yields this:

Now is the time…
fromatoz

Posted: 05-Nov-2019 16:40   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
the easy fix is to use an HTML entity for it, instead:
Now is the time…
Yields this:

Now is the time…

Oh, thank you. That's a good idea!
AndreWolff

Posted: 05-Nov-2019 16:50   in response to: fromatoz in response to: fromatoz

fromatoz wrote:
"..." in comments: why do i use them? for instance, when i cite just the first line of a poem ... there are many reasons for people to use "..." no need to patronize.
Well jGromits solution works perfect. I will make it an option in the next version of the FancyBox skin.
get rid of zoom icon: because i don't like it (ugly)
I have no idea which icon you mean, please supply a screen-dump.
bold font: the home link was bold. wanted to get rid of that (ugly)
It your problem, you removed the icon by changing the code, so you can as well change the the a CSS code to remove the bold display.
scroll-bar on the justified gallery page: since i changed the bulky square home button to just a link, it jumped a little when i clicked on an image, i don't know why. the scroll-bar keeps the home link in place.
Again your problem because you changed the code.
animation: checked that, but didnt work
The PhotoSwipe library supports no slide show and no animation. If you like animation, you better use the FancyBox skin.
loop: no, in the user interface i see no setting for the last slide moving to the first one. looping works only with "slide show"?
It works for SlideShow, right arrow key and the next arrow icon, With the FancyBox skin it works in all cases
nav bar: no, whereever i put the cursor in the browser window - it disappears after 10s (firefox, chrome)
Set check-mark 'Show top info minimal 10 sec' and you will see it at least 10 sec.
fromatoz

Posted: 05-Nov-2019 17:56   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Mr. Wolff,
As you can see in my wife's gallery a few posts above now everything works and looks as I want it. Even the slide-in transition works. No questions left, for the time being. So I move on.
Thank you and have a good time with the jAlbum community :-)
AndreWolff

Posted: 06-Nov-2019 10:47   in response to: fromatoz in response to: fromatoz

I could not resist to show that you can obtain the layout you like without changing any code, so this is a PhotoSwipe example and this is a FancyBox example of part of your images.

Notice the better animations in the FancyBox example an the tooltips which are also used on mobile devices.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums