This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 02-Oct-2019 23:07 Last Post By: PhilippeCharles
PhilippeCharles

Projector skin - But report - Unexpected multi line display of caption
Posted: 27-Apr-2019 13:05

Click to reply to this thread Reply
The image caption is sometimes displayed as multi lines ... up to 3 lines (see attached snapshot), although there is enough room available in the screen width to display it as one single line.

I am currently testing my "Projector album" on a 1920x1200 screen.

Edit: this occurs on both horizontal and vertical photos (and not only on vertical photo as I thought initially).

Edited by: PhilippeCharles on 28-Apr-2019 09:20
Laza

Re: Projector skin - But report - Unexpected multi line display of caption
Posted: 28-Apr-2019 12:12   in response to: PhilippeCharles in response to: PhilippeCharles

Okay, I wouldn't call it a "bug" (neither "but") - it's only the line number need to be styled better. I guess it's not fully moved to "flex" layout yet.
PhilippeCharles

Posted: 29-Apr-2019 07:58   in response to: PhilippeCharles in response to: PhilippeCharles

Indeed, I would rate this bug as "low" :-).

But having 3 lines displayed at the bottom of your image is really distractive. The caption should give a lean additionnal information on the image, but not get an unintentional focus.
PhilippeCharles

Posted: 29-Apr-2019 14:27   in response to: PhilippeCharles in response to: PhilippeCharles

This morning I tested my album on an actual Android device (Samsung A3 2017) ... and this is really much worse than on a PC. So I have raise the bug priority to "High" :-).

See attached screenshot from my Samsung A3 with a 1280 x 720 px screen resolution:
  • As you can see, the image caption is just "eating" 25% of the screen surface (!)
  • The caption text formating takes 6 lines (aaaarrrggghhh !). OK, my text is a bit long in this case.
  • As mentioned above, the caption text formating does not take the complete available screen width. This is probably the first thing to fix.
  • It looks like the font size is not dynamically scaled for mobile devices i.e. it seems this is the same font size as on my PC screen.
PhilippeCharles

Posted: 08-May-2019 10:24   in response to: PhilippeCharles in response to: PhilippeCharles

Hello Laza,

Beside the fact that the caption should take the whole available width of the screen, I would be also good to reduce the font size for screens with smaller pixels resolution.

Another way to handle this limitation may be not display the caption if the screen has a too low pixels resolution ?

Note: btw, a similar problem also arise with the size of the thumnails, which are getting too large for screens with smaller pixels resolution. Should they get resized too?
PhilippeCharles

Posted: 08-May-2019 22:38   in response to: PhilippeCharles in response to: PhilippeCharles

A big improvement has been made with the release 1.3.3 :-) :
  • The image caption is now displayed on the full image width; this is now usable on a mobile phone with a 1280 x 720 px screen resolution.
  • What may be left to discuss is if the font size should be dynamically scaled for mobile devices or not?

Thank you for this update made in 1.3.3.
PhilippeCharles

Posted: 13-May-2019 23:49   in response to: PhilippeCharles in response to: PhilippeCharles

Hello Laza,

There are some remaining problems with the image caption, even with the 1.3.3 version. See attached 3 screen shots made on PC (Windows) and on a Samsung mobile:

1) PC 1920 x 1080 px : no problem (image reference).

2) PC with 1366 x 768 px : caption font size has been resized correctly, but there is quite some lost space for caption on both image sides (caption centered).

3) Samsung mobile 1280 x 720 px ; 2 problems:
  • Caption font size has not been resized (or at least not as much as on the PC version),
  • The controls are most likely too big, leading to lost space for the image caption display.

Note that the font size resize on the Samsung mobile is higher on the main album page (even a bit too much), than on the folder pages ?!

Link to my album:
http://jalbum.net/fr/browse/user/album/1929489

Thank you for your support.
Laza

Posted: 14-May-2019 09:34   in response to: PhilippeCharles in response to: PhilippeCharles

Please note, the resolution is also much higher on mobiles. Not the pixel size counts. The responsive web design aims to provide similar visual sizes on every device. This is even more important for the controls (buttons, hotspots), which need to be able to handle with a finger. Those controls are this big on purpose, and I don't want to change them. Try it! If you make the controls or font size too small, google will warn you on a mobile audit, and google search will push your page back in the search results. Not everything is about aesthetics and pixel peeping in web design.
PhilippeCharles

Posted: 15-May-2019 07:55   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Hello Laza,
Thank you for your feedback. Of course I fully agree with you when it comes to device with a touch screen; I was refering to the control size being too big, because the caption size is also too big at the same time.

I have attached a screen shot from the same album on my Samsung mobile, but this time from the start page, you will see that this just contradics what you wrote:
  • The same Projector controls on the left side are now way too small than previously.
  • The size of the font used in this page are much smaller than on the page with photos that I sent you.
  • This is really not consistent.

So please look carefully at my image sample and the supplied link to my album: I would believe there is clearly something wrong in the settings of the responsive web design.

You didn't respond also about the item "2" above, why there are lost space in the width for the caption on the PC test when the screen resolution is lower.

Thank you for your support.
PhilippeCharles

Posted: 02-Oct-2019 23:07   in response to: PhilippeCharles in response to: PhilippeCharles

Issue fixed with an update of the "Projector" skin => closed.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums