This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 28-Aug-2019 15:04 Last Post By: RobM
MarkusD

Keyword list only populates after visiting folders
Posted: 27-Aug-2019 18:12

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

the list with keywords in the bottom panel only populates with keywords during visiting the folders where keywords are used. Please watch this Video.

I'm not sure if it's clear what I'm looking for. Imagine a project with a dozen of keywords used in a lot of different folders. Now you have added hundreds of new pictures and want to use the already used keywords for drag&drop to tag the new pictures. But to see all of the already used keywords you have to navigate to a lot of folders first. If you close JA, you have to start all over. :-(

Wouldn't it possible to have a keyword-list which is stored in the JAP-file or in the top most ".info" file of the project. And then by opening a project the bottom panel with the keywords shows all keywords immediately.

Thanks, Markus
jGromit

Re: Keyword list only populates after visiting folders
Posted: 27-Aug-2019 22:01   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

Shorter version: When opening a project and displaying keywords, it should do a quick traversal of the project tree and harvest all of the keywords for display in the bottom panel.

In a massive project, that's an awful lot of file IO - might be painfully slow. Keeping them all in a central .info file in addition to the .info file for each image, however, runs the risk of things getting out of sync.

Tough call.

Or, a user could take the "self-help" way. Add an image to the top level of the album. Visit each folder, so that the keyword list is populated with all of the possible keywords from the album. Select all of them (click on the first, shift-click on the last), then drag them all to that one new image. Now exclude that image.

That image won't appear in the album. But when you open the project, you'll see all of your keywords immediately. It's devious. I like it. ;)
MarkusD

Posted: 27-Aug-2019 22:16   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Shorter version: When opening a project and displaying keywords, it should do a quick traversal of the project tree and harvest all of the keywords for display in the bottom panel.
I would never have dared to ask. ;-)

In a massive project, that's an awful lot of file IO - might be painfully slow.
Good point.

Keeping them all in a central .info file in addition to the .info file for each image, however, runs the risk of things getting out of sync.
I agree.

Or, a user could take the "self-help" way. Add an image to the top level of the album. Visit each folder, so that the keyword list is populated with all of the possible keywords from the album. Select all of them (click on the first, shift-click on the last), then drag them all to that one new image. Now exclude that image.
Phew! ;-)

That image won't appear in the album. But when you open the project, you'll see all of your keywords immediately. It's devious. I like it. ;)
;-))

Or. Giving the user the opportunity to traverse through the whole project with a special button. If this task only starts when the user is ready to wait, that would be a good compromise.
RobM

Posted: 27-Aug-2019 22:25   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

There is an API call that might prove useful, somehow - http://jalbum.net/api/se/datadosen/component/WordList.html
davidekholm

Posted: 28-Aug-2019 12:37   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I plan to address this in a way that doesn't cause an awful amount of IO, due to disk caching, but it will be a larger rewrite: The idea is to background generate .json files (which contains metadata, like keywords) under the .jalbum folders while a project is open in jAlbum. This will enable both faster album makes (the json files are simply copied from the .jalbum folders to the generated album folder) and will enable album search within jAlbum itself and naturally enable quick population of the keyword list as a project is opened.
jGromit

Posted: 28-Aug-2019 13:33   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

So, we'll end up with .info files and .json files, and maybe some .properties and .txt files, plus some metadata written to xmp within the image files? Yes, no chance for confusion there.
davidekholm

Posted: 28-Aug-2019 14:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
So, we'll end up with .info files and .json files, and maybe some .properties and .txt files, plus some metadata written to xmp within the image files? Yes, no chance for confusion there.

Sure, but it shouldn't bother end users as all is stuffed under .jalbum. The code to generate the json data will be the same as today, but I'll have it running in the background while a project is open and direct the output to he source image tree instead of to the album folder.
RobM

Posted: 28-Aug-2019 15:04   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
jGromit wrote:

Sure, but it shouldn't bother end users as all is stuffed under .jalbum. The code to generate the json data will be the same as today, but I'll have it running in the background while a project is open and direct the output to he source image tree instead of to the album folder.

And of course, there are skin and tool developers that put files in .jalbum folders too.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums