This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 28-May-2019 19:53 Last Post By: creedy
creedy

folder image not showing up on new uploads
Posted: 06-May-2019 18:25

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I just added a folder of May images and the folder image will not show up. See attachment. this happened last month and I copied what I found on previous month (folder image file in a folder named 'folder' inside the Thumbs folder) but that did't work this time. Please let me know if you have a fix for this.
RobM

Re: folder image not showing up on new uploads
Posted: 06-May-2019 20:39   in response to: creedy in response to: creedy

The file is not on the server, if it exists in the local album then upload the album again, if not remake the album and check it does exist, then upload it.
creedy

Posted: 06-May-2019 21:54   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

The image is there, I duplicated it to add that additional folder.I Will double check every thing.
RobM

Posted: 06-May-2019 22:08   in response to: creedy in response to: creedy

Attachment Source code.png (95.4 KB)
Attachment 404 error.png (402.7 KB)
creedy wrote:
The image is there, I duplicated it to add that additional folder.I Will double check every thing.
Have a look at the attached, it shows the file is not there. Browsers like Firefox, Chrome and Safari have tools to show this information. In Firefox, for example, it is Menu>Tools>Web developer>Inspector.
creedy

Posted: 28-May-2019 01:24   in response to: creedy in response to: creedy

I'm still having this problem. The folder images are there. I upload my site via FTP (Fetch), I can look at contents of folders and the images are there but will not show up online.
jGromit

Posted: 28-May-2019 04:37   in response to: creedy in response to: creedy

In your screenshot, that first missing thumbnail is supposed to be at this address on your server. It's not there - trying to access it directly produces a "404 - Not Found" error.

https://www.cathyreedy.com/Albums/2019/2019_05/thumbs/folder/2019_05_16_Vacation_2019_05_17_oNiagaraOnTheLake43.jpg

My suspicion is that you're trying to upload selectively, just adding the new folders, but you're not taking into account the fact that the thumbnails for the folders actually reside one level higher in the album. So, uploading only the newly-added folder isn't enough.

I'm not familiar with Fetch, but is there an option that lets you tell it to upload the entire album, but that tells it to skip over files that haven't been changed? If so, invoke that option, then just feed it the entire album, and let it hop, skip, and jump over the unchanged material. That will ensure that you upload all of the needed files, no matter where they are.

If Fetch doesn't have such an option, it's time to switch to an FTP program that does - either the built-in jAlbum uploader, or FileZilla.
creedy

Posted: 28-May-2019 05:11   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thank you but I don’t upload just the folder. I also upload all the new and updated files. I’m not new to Jalbum or Photoblogger. I have literally thousands of photos on my site that were created by both and they are fine. This just started in last couple months. Thanks again for your suggestions.
RobM

Posted: 28-May-2019 09:37   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

For future reference of other Fetch users, see Mirroring local to remote to upload only new or updated files.
jGromit

Posted: 28-May-2019 11:14   in response to: creedy in response to: creedy

creedy wrote:
Thank you but I don’t upload just the folder. I also upload all the new and updated files.

Well, that leaves us with quite a mystery, since a 404 is a 404 is a 404, and means either that the file isn't there, or that there's something wrong with the server.

Quick question - when you preview the album locally before uploading, are the folder images visible?
creedy

Posted: 28-May-2019 14:25   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Yes, they are and I know what that means but they are on the server also just like all the ones that are working. I just dumped my whole 2019 folder and remade albums for 2019. Now, if I can explain what it's doing. It is making a folder named 'folder' inside the 'thumbs' folder. And inside that folder Jalbum is placing the file called 'folderimage.jpg' in it instead of a thumbnail size image of the image that goes on the subfolder. Re Screenshot attached: It is working now that I placed the two jpgs in the 'folder'. At some point, it started adding the extra folder. The older albums were working fine and then things changed maybe a couple months ago. Sorry if I am not making any sense.
jGromit

Posted: 28-May-2019 14:40   in response to: creedy in response to: creedy

Now, the album is working. The folder thumbnail for Niagara-on-the-Lake, for example, is now showing up. It's pointing (as it should) to this, which is no longer coughing up a 404:

https://www.cathyreedy.com/Albums/2019/2019_05/thumbs/folder/2019_05_16_Vacation_2019_05_17_oNiagaraOnTheLake43.jpg

I can't reconstruct it now, but I think that Laza changed the way folder thumbnails are handled. Maybe your album had a mix of versions on different levels, some created with an older version of the skin, some with the latest version.

There are other changes appearing now as well, including the thumbnail formatting and captions. You might want to do some adjusting of settings. That's yet another sign of the skin version change finally being processed and uploaded. Photoblogger 2.x was a major rewrite, not just a minor update.
creedy

Posted: 28-May-2019 15:28   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I am using the latest Photoblogger, can't find the version but just updated this morning again. It's not consistently the same error and I guess for now, I will manually add the correct thumbnail when Jalbum doesn't create it or doubles the name. Thanks for your input. My website host is pushing me to use WordPress and I really don't want to go that route. Do you see any reason or advantage to using WordPress?
jGromit

Posted: 28-May-2019 16:08   in response to: creedy in response to: creedy

Very frustrating, since I can't reproduce the error. I grabbed your project settings, replicated part of your folder structure, and even renamed some files using your schema (thinking that it might have something to do with length, underscores, who knows what). Still behaves OK.

Am I going to be forced to fall back on my usual explanation for such things? Bad juju?
creedy

Posted: 28-May-2019 19:53   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Maybe it is the bad juju! But again, thanks for your efforts. Maybe I should alternate skins once in a while and hope it finally works out.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums