This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 05-May-2019 21:37 Last Post By: wwalkerbout
wwalkerbout

JSON Error Message displayed after embedding Phot Gallery
Posted: 12-Apr-2019 20:52

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Greetings,
I received prompt and helpful responses when I asked my first question in this Forum about the non-appearance of the 'jAlbum box' button on my Pages and Post, when attempting to add a Photo Gallery in WordPress by leveraging the jAlbum Bridge. The solution was to revert to the Classic Editor, which worked perfectly well.
Now, when I navigate to the Page where I've inserted my jAlbum based Photo Gallery, I receive the following message:
"Please check if the jAlbum album contains the tree.json file at the output folder. Turn on "Settings → Advanced → Metadata → Generate JSON Data" if not."
I have navigated to the Settings --> Advanced --> Metadata Tab in the jAlbum client-side application and selected the checkbox labelled 'Generate JSON Data', after which I then 'Uploaded' my Photo Gallery to my Web Server again (to '/public_html/RWM-Photos', the location of my jAlbum folder structure and images).
I have also checked the content of the '/public_html/RWM-Photos ' using an FTP client application called CuteFTP and I can confirm that the file 'tree.json' is present in that folder.
Yet still I received the above message, instead of the display of the expected Photo Gallery.
Does anyone have suggestions on what else I need to investigate when the JSON file appears to be in what I understand to be the correct location?
Cheers,
Wayne
jGromit

Re: JSON Error Message displayed after embedding Phot Gallery
Posted: 12-Apr-2019 21:36   in response to: wwalkerbout in response to: wwalkerbout

After turning on the JSON generation, did you make the album again before uploading again?

Ignoring the WP bridge for the moment, can you view the album directly in your browser?
wwalkerbout

Posted: 04-May-2019 08:34   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hi jGromit,

My apologies for the extended delay before responding to your message (work has been crazy busy). My Wordpress site is just a part-time hobby for me and the site that I am building is to support my wife's Vocal Jazz Group.

I didn't originally try uploading the album again, after turning on the JSON generation. So I
have just tried doing so now, but I continue to get the error message, even though going directly to the page displays the albums just fine. I've pasted relevant links below to illustrate what I am encountering:

Direct to Web Page: http://www.readywillingmabel.com/RWM-Photos/

Via the Bridge Plugin: http://www.readywillingmabel.com/photo-gallery/

I'm at a loss as to what I should do next to fix this, but I'd certainly like to get it working. I'd be happy to provide access details if that is an option. Otherwise, any other suggestions you are able to provide would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Wayne
RobM

Posted: 04-May-2019 10:00   in response to: wwalkerbout in response to: wwalkerbout

wwalkerbout wrote:
I didn't originally try uploading the album again, after turning on the JSON generation. So I
have just tried doing so now, but I continue to get the error message, even though going directly to the page displays the albums just fine. I've pasted relevant links below to illustrate what I am encountering:

Direct to Web Page: http://www.readywillingmabel.com/RWM-Photos/

Via the Bridge Plugin: http://www.readywillingmabel.com/photo-gallery/

I'm at a loss as to what I should do next to fix this, but I'd certainly like to get it working. I'd be happy to provide access details if that is an option. Otherwise, any other suggestions you are able to provide would be very much appreciated!

I don’t use Wordpress or Bridge but the code you have used shows the path to the album as
albumurl":"http://www.redywillingmabel.com","folder":"/Photos"
It seems to me the albumurl should be as in your direct to web page link. Your link also goes to a folder without subfolders, so I don’t think you should have
 "folder":"/Photos" 
jGromit

Posted: 04-May-2019 12:09   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
It seems to me the albumurl should be as in your direct to web page link.

Exactly. There is no album at the root of the domain, so the bridge program has no idea what to do next.
wwalkerbout

Posted: 05-May-2019 03:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hi RobM and jGromit,

Thanks very much for the feedback from both of you!

It took me time to get back to it, as I had some other WP-Admin issues to correct on the site, but you are both correct in that I had the settings for that page incorrectly set to point at the /photos folder, which is not where my jAlbum files are located.

However, I have now corrected that (jGromit, you'll understand this through your knowledge of the jAlbum Bridge Plugin), I navigated via WP-Admin to the WordPress Page containing the jAlbum Bridge code and I deleted the incorrect code. I then re-ran the jAlbum Bridge button, which then generated the following code:

My jAlbum generated Photo Album was located in the '/RWM-Photos' folder under the root '/public_html' folder and the 'tree.json' file was present in that folder.

Upon checking my 'Photo Gallery' Menu again on the site, the same "Please check if the jAlbum album contains the tree.json file at the output folder. Turn on "Settings → Advanced → Metadata → Generate JSON Data" if not." message was displayed.

As an extra test, I also went to the jAlbum Desktop App and ran the upload process again, having deleted the '/RWM-Photos' folder via a CuteFTP application that I use. I checked the content of the '/RWM-Photos' folder and the expected 'jAlbum' folder and file structure were present, along with the 'tree.jason' file again. The error message remains.

I'd very much like to get this Album working under my menu structure, but I'm again at a loss as to what I can do to get this working.

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Wayne

jGromit

Posted: 05-May-2019 05:07   in response to: wwalkerbout in response to: wwalkerbout

The console is showing a CORS error, which is strange, because the WP site and the album are on the same domain, so there shouldn't be a cross-domain origin problem. Just a hunch, but the album URL in the plugin is www.readwillingmabel.com/RWM-Photos, but the parent WP site is redirecting to readywillingmabel.com, without the www. And if I try viewing the album without the www, it is redirecting to the version with www.

I think you need to configure your server to redirect www.readywllingmabel.com/RWM-Photos to readywillingmabel.com/RWM-Photos.

In short, the URL's must either both include www, or neither one should include it. The domains have to match.
wwalkerbout

Posted: 05-May-2019 06:28   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hi jGromit,

Thanks very much for the prompt response! I continued working with the plugin and made some progress. What you mentioned makes sense. I continued reading through whatever help information I could find and the FAQ section of the Plugin Help area mentioned that a relative Path would also work.

So I changed the Path in the Shortcode to /rwm_photos (I have changed the Folder Name to all lowercase and used an underscore, during my troubleshooting - this wasn't a solution, but looks better anyway), and the relative path got images to render on the WP 'Photo Gallery' page. This seems to confirm your theory about the present or absent www URL issue.

This means I'm very close to getting the Photo Gallery working as intended. The only thing that I'm seeing now, which is not in line with my optimum solution, is the photos in my jAlbum set are displaying as randomly sorted images and not the jAlbum Photo Carousel that I configured in the jAlbum Desktop App. The Carousel which displays under the 'Make Album' option in the jAlbum App or which displays when I navigate directly to the http://www.readywillingmabel.com/rwm_photos URL, outside of the WP 'Photo Gallery' page is not displaying.

When I click on any of the randomly displayed images that do display, I get to the jAlbum Carousel, but it is again external to the WP 'Photo Gallery' page, so I lose my site navigation.

I've just got to this stage, so I'll continue troubleshooting to see if I can get the actual jAlbum Carousel to display within the WP 'Photo Gallery' page.

Again, thanks very much for the prompt feedback. I'll post a message if I can figure out this final issue.

Cheers,

Wayne
wwalkerbout

Posted: 05-May-2019 07:05   in response to: wwalkerbout in response to: wwalkerbout

Hi jGromit,

Ok, I can see via the 'jAlbum Bridge' button settings that I have quite a bit of control over what format of display (Slides, Carousel, Titles, etc...), the images stored in my Album take, on the WP 'Photo Gallery' page (with Navigation included), when I access the page.

But it also seems that linking to the images in the actual jAlbum Carousel/Album is the only way to then render that jAlbum functionality. However, in doing so, I navigate away from my WP 'Photo Gallery' page containing my navigation to the /rwm-photos page without the navigation. I thought the whole aim of the jAlbum Bridge was to render the jAlbum Carousel/Album within a WP page.

Is there some way of enabling the jAlbum Carousel/Album to display within my WP 'Photo Gallery' page (with retained navigation), either after clicking on a linked image from the default images that are displaying when I access my 'Photo Gallery' page, when immediately when I access that same 'Photo Gallery' page.

Hopefully, there is a way to make such rendering of the jAlbum Carousel/Album within the WP 'Photo Gallery' page with retained navigation. I'll continue troubleshooting tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wayne
jGromit

Posted: 05-May-2019 07:35   in response to: wwalkerbout in response to: wwalkerbout

Good way to get around the CORS problem - using a relative URL hadn't occurred to me.

wwalkerbout wrote:
I thought the whole aim of the jAlbum Bridge was to render the jAlbum Carousel/Album within a WP page.

No, that's not possible. The jAlbum album is, itself, a complete web site. It can't be displayed "within" another page. It would be like trying to show, say, cnn.com within your WP site, complete with your own top navigation. The only way to do that would be to use an iframe, which has all sorts of nasty problems, especially with something responsive like a jAlbum album.

What you're now seeing is, I'm afraid, as good as it gets. That's why it's called a "bridge," rather than an "embedder." It's just a presentation of images from within the album (in your choice of formats), and a link to the real album. The best you can do is provide a link back to your WP site in your Tiger album (as you have done).
wwalkerbout

Posted: 05-May-2019 17:01   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hi jGromit,

Oh, ok. I was really hoping to keep the site visitors within the structure of the existing navigation paradigm of the website, even while using the features of the jAlbum generated photo album. My misunderstanding of the functionality of the jAlbum Bridge I guess came from the thought that the jAlbum file structure was being hosted at the root level of the Domain on which I am trying to publish the Album, but I gather the WordPress architecture is still a separate entity.

That's a shame. However, this is only a hobby effort for me to help out my wife's Vocal Jazz group, so I guess this will have to do. I'm rusty with web development efforts, having done a lot of eCommerce Site development many years ago, so I'm just starting out with WordPress. I thought that issues around hosting web site content within another web site may have been addressed after all my years of absence, but obviously not. I recall iFrames and all the issues that come with them, so I won't go there.

Thanks so much for being responsive to the learnings of an old-time developer, trying to get things up and running in a more modern environment after too many years away from it. It's a small-time effort but I've learnt a lot through the process and at least I got the web site to work at all, so that's a plus.

Much appreciated!!!

Wayne
RobM

Posted: 05-May-2019 18:53   in response to: wwalkerbout in response to: wwalkerbout

Have you considered making the main site with jAlbum and adding a link to the Wordpress blog? The Contact, Biography and Promo kit can all be made using the About and Contact templates.

By the way, the Wordpress site’s link to ‘Photo Gallery’ is not working correctly, I see
 <iframe src="//rwm_photos" width="580" height="412" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"><iframe> 
wwalkerbout

Posted: 05-May-2019 21:37   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Hi RobM,

No, I hadn't considered building the site the other way around, with jAlbum being the main site and adding a link to WordPress. I had built the WordPress site first and then went looking for a good tool to build out the Photo Gallery. I wasn't keen on the numerous WordPress Plugin options that I had reviewed and then came across jAlbum, which seemed to have many more features.

However, I didn't realize integration with WordPress was going to be such a challenge. I am actually still messing around with various options at the moment, trying different things out (including an iFrame Plugin, as can be seen, even though I'm not keen on using iFrames), so for the next couple of days, it will be more than likely that the site's 'Photo Gallery' will be intermittently broken.

Building things the other way around might be another option I can take a look at, but that will need to be a future Project for me if I go ahead along that route. This tends to be a weekend Project for me (and intermittent weekends, at that).

Thanks for providing the feedback and this additional option to consider.

Cheers,

Wayne
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums