This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 14-Jan-2019 16:07 Last Post By: jGromit
msand42

v17.1.5 install problem
Posted: 14-Jan-2019 13:47

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I just attempted to install 17.1.5 to replace 15.4. The install completed, but when I launched jAlbum 15.4 came up. Did I have to first uninstall 15.4? I believe that on previous updates I did not have to uninstall the previous version.
jGromit

Re: v17.1.5 install problem
Posted: 14-Jan-2019 13:58   in response to: msand42 in response to: msand42

It shouldn't be necessary to uninstall the previous version - the installer script should take care of that. Rather than puzzle over why it's not working properly, it will be easier simply to uninstall any and all older versions manually - it should take only a minute or two.

See https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=35746
msand42

Posted: 14-Jan-2019 15:59   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

This is weird...
I ran Windows 7 Uninstall on the old version.
As expected, the jAlbum icon was no longer in the Start Menu.
Then I went to C:\Program Files\jAlbum to see if there were any stray files that the uninstall did not remove. Much to my shock the entire jAlbum application was still there, including the exe file. It was as if the uninstall did nothing!
I then manually deleted the jAlbum folder and successfully installed the new version.
jGromit

Posted: 14-Jan-2019 16:07   in response to: msand42 in response to: msand42

It might have been some kind of permission problem - you might have installed the application as "administrator," but did the uninstall without the needed permissions. Tough to tell.

But a little manual housecleaning never hurts. I sometimes do that just to clear out the debris from the jAlbum beta testing I do - that can leave various unwanted bits and pieces floating around.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums