This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 07-Nov-2018 22:42 Last Post By: jGromit
ctwist

No points
Posted: 06-Nov-2018 01:17

Click to reply to this thread Reply
When you post a message in the forum, this appears:
"Mark this thread as a question - this encourages people to answer for points and helps you track answers."

We don't assign points.

A better message:
"Mark this thread as a question - this encourages people to suggest solutions."
jGromit

Re: No points
Posted: 06-Nov-2018 01:19   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

Haven't you been receiving all your valuable prizes for the points you've gotten?

ETA: I got a new BMW for my points last month!
jGromit

Posted: 07-Nov-2018 13:36   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

I've done some hunting in the forum admin console, and haven't been able to find a place to set that text, so it must be lurking elsewhere in the forum software.

Marking a thread as a question actually does help you track things, however. At the top of the forum, there's link that takes you to your questions, and the list is split between answered and unanswered questions. That makes it easier to sort out things that are still hanging from things that have been resolved.

If you didn't mark your threads as questions, the only way to find them would be to search on your username, and that list doesn't provide any indication of whether the issue has been resolved or not.

ETA: The "search by username" is even worse - you can't sort the results by date, which makes it a beast to dig through. The list of questions, on the other hand, is sorted by date.
ctwist

Posted: 07-Nov-2018 16:30   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

True.

A better suggestion:
"Mark this thread as a question - this encourages people to suggest solutions and helps you track answers."

Although I would also add "to":
"Mark this thread as a question - this encourages people to suggest solutions and helps you to track answers."
jGromit

Posted: 07-Nov-2018 16:47   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

Well, we'll have to see if Anders can track down the source of the text - I gather the forum software is an old beast, and not easy to tinker with.
RobM

Posted: 07-Nov-2018 16:52   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Well, we'll have to see if Anders can track down the source of the text - I gather the forum software is an old beast, and not easy to tinker with.
Maybe you can find how to remove points information from http://jalbum.net/forum/help.jspa#questions ?
jGromit

Posted: 07-Nov-2018 17:03   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

No, the status level stuff in the forum console is already restricted to simple post count, and is not related to "question answering success."

I'm a little hesitant to disable the status level function entirely - I'm not sure what side effects that might have. My hunch is that it's used only to populate the "top users in forum" box on the right, when you open a forum section. If so, that's actually something I'd like to dump - it's of no utility, and just coughs up the names of a lot of long-gone users. But I don't know what else it might be doing.
AnCa

Posted: 07-Nov-2018 20:31   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
I've searched high and low for that text (or any localized text), but can't find it. I find the JSP-page where the message is inserted (so I could hard code the text instead of using the property based localized texts), but I can't find the origin... It's in the source tree for the forum I have locally, but not on the server. I'm starting to believe in magic.
jGromit

Posted: 07-Nov-2018 21:43   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

Off-topic, but how would you feel about experimenting and turning off the status level tracking? It wouldn't affect this issue, but it might magically get rid of the "top users in forum" box. On the admin console, see Settings > Status Level Settings, the first box.

Or should I do it, so you can plausibly blame me? ;)
AnCa

Posted: 07-Nov-2018 22:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Off-topic, but how would you feel about experimenting and turning off the status level tracking? It wouldn't affect this issue, but it might magically get rid of the "top users in forum" box. On the admin console, see Settings > Status Level Settings, the first box.

Or should I do it, so you can plausibly blame me? ;)

I didn't know we had such status level tracking... :)
I'd gladly blame you. :)
jGromit

Posted: 07-Nov-2018 22:25   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

The deed is done (and I haven't even started drinking yet today), and lo and behold! The "top users in forum" box is gone.

The post count is still showing under the username on posts in the threads, which is good - I wouldn't want to lose that information completely.

Everyone else, please let me know if something important is now missing.

"We're not saying it's your fault - we're just blaming you." ;)
jGromit

Posted: 07-Nov-2018 22:32   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Doesn't do anything for ctwist's original issue. If it had, I'd have been firmly into the "there's magic" camp, too.
jGromit

Posted: 07-Nov-2018 22:42   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

AnCa wrote:
I've searched high and low for that text (or any localized text), but can't find it. I find the JSP-page where the message is inserted (so I could hard code the text instead of using the property based localized texts), but I can't find the origin... It's in the source tree for the forum I have locally, but not on the server. I'm starting to believe in magic.

From some related stuff I've seen online, I suspect it's packed into one of the JAR files for the forum software, which would effectively hide it from a search. And if you could get to it, you'd have to tackle all of the language variations. Ugh.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums