This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 06-Nov-2018 06:30 Last Post By: affel
affel

Binary for Linux?
Posted: 13-Mar-2010 12:34

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Is there no more install-binary (Jalbuminstall.bin) for Linux since version 8.6? There is only a Debian-package if you wan to download version 8.7.1.
davidekholm

Re: Binary for Linux?
Posted: 13-Mar-2010 15:44   in response to: affel in response to: affel
Helpful
The bin installer was really old and didn't do much more than simply unzipping the .zip version of Jalbum (available on the download page too). That's why it is no longer included. For Ubuntu or other Debinan distributions, the .deb package is far better. OpenSuSE users can find specific packages for OpenSuSE here: http://packman.links2linux.de/package/Jalbum
goldino

Posted: 17-Apr-2010 18:32   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Well, this is pretty frustrating. I've been happily using Jalbum for over two years years on my SuSE Linux system. Now I go to update from 8.5 to 8.7 and you've suddenly switched to a .deb file, with no mention of it in the release notes. Even the main download page still has instructions on installing the bin file. I had to go digging around through the forum to find this message. I tried using the RPM from packman, but found it has a bunch of dependencies I don't have installed (jakarta, jlayer, jsch, metatdata-extractor). So then I had to go hunting for the zip file which is NOT easy to find on your web site. You should at least update the main Linux download page to inform people you have switched to a deb installation, and provide a link to the zip file and/or packman for those of us who aren't Debian users.
davidekholm

Posted: 18-Apr-2010 22:48   in response to: goldino in response to: goldino

I'm sorry for this frustration. With the added size of our site, it is also a larger project to modify the download page unfortunately. I can promise you that I've told my team members to update the download page for the next site update.

The version packed for OpenSuSE by Pac-man has dependencies as you've noticed. I've asked Pac-man to skip relying on external dependencies and just pack the self-contained .zip version of Jalbum as an .rpm file, but he insists that there should be no duplicate code. Well well, that's a distribution policy I guess.

To make live easier for all users of rpm based distributions we are now creating .rpm packages for Jalbum ourselves. See http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=220315&#220315
I hope you like, If not, please tell what you'd like us to improve on (apart from updating the web, that is)
woodlark

Posted: 24-Apr-2010 19:31   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

There are linuxes (linii?) that do not rely on either .deb or .rpm. I also had to dig to find the binary installer (version 8.5.3).
davidekholm

Posted: 26-Apr-2010 22:50   in response to: woodlark in response to: woodlark
Helpful
woodlark wrote:
There are linuxes (linii?) that do not rely on either .deb or .rpm. I also had to dig to find the binary installer (version 8.5.3).

Please try the Java installer of Jalbum!
affel

Posted: 06-Nov-2018 06:30   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Finally I close this question...
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums