Thanks for the tips. Now I gotta find that "other" tip. You are correct about the theme image. I was concentrating on the major content and learning to use the skin. Gotta go . . . duty calls . . . later.
I'm lost. I did get rid of image title with David's suggested edit index.htt...
You have a choice - follow David's advice, or mine, but not both. You can do this all with CSS, which is simpler, and less prone to breakage.
But remember that your changes will be wiped out by installing the skin again, or installing an update. You're modifying the skin's template files. If you install the skin again, all of the template files are deleted, and replaced with the new ones. There's no magic.
... but I still have white space....
In the album you've put online, I see no evidence that you have modified the skin's template files correctly. The <h2> element is still there, with a non-breaking space in it. That's apparently not what you want.
... and the first separator did not disappear.
Again, in the album you've posted, I'm not seeing any evidence that you have made the recommended edits to common.css.
Might it be due to my separator NOT being an hr...
Irrelevant - the skin uses an <hr> tag to enclose the separator.
I also wonder about positioning of this suggested line, not being familiar with the rules for content of the common.css file.
It's not complicated - they're just sequential. The last instruction is the one that counts. If a certain element has its font size changed to 16px on line 20, but changed to 30px on line 154, it will show up as 30px.
Remember, I'm not guessing at this stuff, willy-nilly. I'm modifying your posted album, online, live. So I'm very sure that what I'm telling you to do is having the desired effect.
You're not editing the copy of common.css that the skin is actually using. Don't try to guess at this. Just launch jAlbum, choose ZigZag (curse David for choosing a skin name that's so difficult to type!), then Tools, Skin developer, Edit skin files.
Thanks for sticking with me. Problem solved! My misconception led to the problem.
It turns out that I was not understanding where the "excess" white (blank, now a different color) space originated. I was mis-interpreting the blankness at the beginning of the slide progression, not realizing that it was an empty comment for the first slide.