This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 14-Jun-2018 21:31 Last Post By: linuxrog Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
linuxrog

ZigZag - Too much white space
Posted: 12-Jun-2018 21:41

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I see a lot of excess / white space above and below images using the ZigZag skin, here: Example. How can I get rid of the excess whiteness. (Don't say change the color <chuckle>).

And, my separator image appears before the first image. Not wanted.

/Roger
jGromit

Re: ZigZag - Too much white space
Posted: 12-Jun-2018 22:07   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

Attachment ss004025.png (779.9 KB)
Apply my suggested CSS patch (in the other thread), and the excess space goes away (as long as there isn't too much text - the skin will always make enough room for that).

ETA: Partial screenshot attached.

Edited by: jGromit on 12-Jun-2018 16:09
jGromit

Posted: 12-Jun-2018 22:16   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

linuxrog wrote:
And, my separator image appears before the first image. Not wanted.

IMO it will look weird without the first separator, but if you're determined, add this at the end of common.css:
.item:first-of-type hr {display: none;}

Or, to make it invisible without repositioning the text:
.item:first-of-type hr {visibility: hidden;}

Speaking of looking weird, using that theme image makes for a visual mess. You'd be better off using some sort of background texture image for it.
linuxrog

Posted: 12-Jun-2018 22:23   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the tips. Now I gotta find that "other" tip. You are correct about the theme image. I was concentrating on the major content and learning to use the skin. Gotta go . . . duty calls . . . later.
jGromit

Posted: 12-Jun-2018 22:29   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

linuxrog wrote:
Now I gotta find that "other" tip.

.item h2 {display:none;}
linuxrog

Posted: 13-Jun-2018 02:01   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I'm lost. I did get rid of image title with David's suggested edit index.htt but I still have white space and the first separator did not disappear.

I tried both first-of-type hr, to no avail. I put that suggested line at the very end of

/usr/lib/jalbum/skins/Zigzag/common.css

Might it be due to my separator NOT being an hr (horizontal line)? It is an image of two parallel lines; I ask because of the type hr qualifier.

I also wonder about positioning of this suggested line, not being familiar with the rules for content of the common.css file.
jGromit

Posted: 13-Jun-2018 02:44   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

linuxrog wrote:
I'm lost. I did get rid of image title with David's suggested edit index.htt...

You have a choice - follow David's advice, or mine, but not both. You can do this all with CSS, which is simpler, and less prone to breakage.

But remember that your changes will be wiped out by installing the skin again, or installing an update. You're modifying the skin's template files. If you install the skin again, all of the template files are deleted, and replaced with the new ones. There's no magic.

... but I still have white space....

In the album you've put online, I see no evidence that you have modified the skin's template files correctly. The <h2> element is still there, with a non-breaking space in it. That's apparently not what you want.

... and the first separator did not disappear.

Again, in the album you've posted, I'm not seeing any evidence that you have made the recommended edits to common.css.

Might it be due to my separator NOT being an hr...

Irrelevant - the skin uses an <hr> tag to enclose the separator.

I also wonder about positioning of this suggested line, not being familiar with the rules for content of the common.css file.

It's not complicated - they're just sequential. The last instruction is the one that counts. If a certain element has its font size changed to 16px on line 20, but changed to 30px on line 154, it will show up as 30px.

Remember, I'm not guessing at this stuff, willy-nilly. I'm modifying your posted album, online, live. So I'm very sure that what I'm telling you to do is having the desired effect.
linuxrog

Posted: 13-Jun-2018 03:08   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment common.css (5.5 KB)
Attached is /usr/lib/jalbum/skins/Zigzag/common.css

The relevant / new album is Directions .

Still floundering in the "weeds." The separator image is still there before the first image (the Address image; haven't yet learned to create a text page).

I hear your frustration. Thanks for the help.

Still floundering . . ..

Edited by: linuxrog on 12-Jun-2018 21:11

AH: the blank space after the first separator is a blank comment!
jGromit

Posted: 13-Jun-2018 05:36   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

You're not editing the copy of common.css that the skin is actually using. Don't try to guess at this. Just launch jAlbum, choose ZigZag (curse David for choosing a skin name that's so difficult to type!), then Tools, Skin developer, Edit skin files.
linuxrog

Posted: 14-Jun-2018 21:31   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit:

Thanks for sticking with me. Problem solved! My misconception led to the problem.

It turns out that I was not understanding where the "excess" white (blank, now a different color) space originated. I was mis-interpreting the blankness at the beginning of the slide progression, not realizing that it was an empty comment for the first slide.

Thanks again.

/Roger
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums