This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.


Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 22-Mar-2018 08:59 Last Post By: karlmistelberger
karlmistelberger

Posts: 592
Registered: 5-Dec-2013
History of jalbum-settings.jap
Posted: 09-Nov-2015 08:32
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment jalbum44.txt (398 bytes)
Attachment jalbum43.txt (4.7 KB)
Settings saved to jalbum-settings.jap really matter. However when updating jAlbum the data get shuffled at random. So it's hard to tell what really changed between two versions.

I made it to a habit sorting the lines of jalbum-settings.jap and saving to a new file as:
sort /home-HDD/karl/NeueBilder/jalbum-settings.jap > /home-HDD/karl/NeueBilder/jalbum-settings.jap.2015-01-20


Comparing the following backup versions directly
diff /home-HDD/karl/NeueBilder/jalbum-settings.jap /home/karl/NeueBilder/jalbum-settings.jap ~/Dokumente/jalbum43.txt
results in 172 lines of messy output (jalbum43.txt)

Comparing the sorted versions
karl@hofkirchen:~/NeueBilder> diff /home-HDD/karl/NeueBilder/jalbum-settings.jap.2015-01-20 /home/karl/NeueBilder/jalbum-settings.jap.2015-11-09
reveals that virtually nothing has changed between project versions since January (jalbum44.txt).
MarkusD

Posts: 481
Registered: 13-Apr-2006
Re: History of jalbum-settings.jap
Posted: 09-Nov-2015 18:49   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
That is a good tip! Thanks. For us Windows users, who don't like the command prompt, I can recommend Notepad++ to do the sorting within a GUI.
jGromit

Posts: 7,754
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: History of jalbum-settings.jap
Posted: 09-Nov-2015 22:10   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
MarkusD wrote:
For us Windows users...

... the commands aren't the same. From a command prompt, execute sort /? to see the options for sorting. For comparing files, execute fc /? to see the options.
MarkusD

Posts: 481
Registered: 13-Apr-2006
Re: History of jalbum-settings.jap
Posted: 09-Nov-2015 23:10   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
jGromit wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
For us Windows users...

... the commands aren't the same.

I'm aware of this. ;-) That's why I recommended not to use a DOS command, but instead use a real application, like Notepad++ witch gives lazy Windows users a GUI to do the sorting and the compare. I like the DOS-prompt from time to time and I also use batch files, but sorting or comparing files I prefer something like Notepad++
karlmistelberger

Posts: 592
Registered: 5-Dec-2013
Re: History of jalbum-settings.jap
Posted: 10-Nov-2015 11:18   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment jalbum43.jpg (79.9 KB)
MarkusD wrote:
jGromit wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
For us Windows users...

... the commands aren't the same.

I'm aware of this. ;-) That's why I recommended not to use a DOS command, but instead use a real application, like Notepad++ witch gives lazy Windows users a GUI to do the sorting and the compare. I like the DOS-prompt from time to time and I also use batch files, but sorting or comparing files I prefer something like Notepad++

what you talkin bout willis? Lazy Windows users do it differently: Windows PowerShell Technically speaking they use a terminal emulator running a shell.

Being the laziest of all users I use Konsole with two tabs running a root bash and a user bash, see screen shot. For best performance I frequently and seamlessly switch between GUI, root shell and user shell.
MarkusD

Posts: 481
Registered: 13-Apr-2006
Re: History of jalbum-settings.jap
Posted: 10-Nov-2015 18:19   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
karlmistelberger wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
jGromit wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
For us Windows users...

... the commands aren't the same.

I'm aware of this. ;-) That's why I recommended not to use a DOS command, but instead use a real application, like Notepad++ witch gives lazy Windows users a GUI to do the sorting and the compare. I like the DOS-prompt from time to time and I also use batch files, but sorting or comparing files I prefer something like Notepad++

what you talkin bout willis? Lazy Windows users do it differently: Windows PowerShell Technically speaking they use a terminal emulator running a shell.

Being the laziest of all users I use Konsole with two tabs running a root bash and a user bash, see screen shot. For best performance I frequently and seamlessly switch between GUI, root shell and user shell.

Come on, we are in the year 2015 ;-), I nearly know any users who use a DOS Prompt today, they even don't know what a DOS Prompt (or PowerShell) is. Sure, using some command line tools is convenient in some situations, but more than a "PING x.x.x.x" or "IPCONFIG" I wouldn't use a DOS Prompt manually today. Don't get me wrong, I do use batch files for daily backups (with the use of the console version of WinRAR), syncing files from my main computer to the notebook with RoboCopy, using a GUI for these reoccurring tasks would be the wrong way, in my opinion. But sorting or comparing a text file with a command line utility? No way! ;-)
jGromit

Posts: 7,754
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: History of jalbum-settings.jap
Posted: 10-Nov-2015 18:32   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
MarkusD wrote:
...syncing files from my main computer to the notebook with RoboCopy....

A great little utility - I use it for doing backups to a second internal hard drive. Most Windows users have no idea that it's there.
karlmistelberger

Posts: 592
Registered: 5-Dec-2013
Re: History of jalbum-settings.jap
Posted: 11-Nov-2015 20:00   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
MarkusD wrote:
Come on, we are in the year 2015 ;-)

Yes, indeed we are and now Windows 10 has what Linux had since ever: Introducing PackageManagement in Windows 10, a nice command line interface to package management. ;-)

Note: PackageManagement is also an open source project at https://github.com/OneGet. You can check out the latest news and code from there. :-)
karlmistelberger

Posts: 592
Registered: 5-Dec-2013
Re: History of jalbum-settings.jap
Posted: 22-Mar-2018 08:59   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
karlmistelberger wrote:
Settings saved to jalbum-settings.jap really matter. However when updating jAlbum the data get shuffled at random. So it's hard to tell what really changed between two versions. I made it to a habit sorting the lines of jalbum-settings.jap and saving to a new file as ...

Given the complexity of GUI programming users of jAlbum may encounter embarrassing results.

Improved protection against those annoyances is provided by automatically saving jalbum-settings.jap whenever a change occurs. Details are given here
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums