This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 28 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: 27-Feb-2018 23:01 Last Post By: Panam Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jGromit

Re: Converting Matrix jAlbum to Gromit
Posted: 17-Feb-2018 03:07   in response to: Panam in response to: Panam

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Panam wrote:
I’ve finished converting and customizing my albums but still get blurry and distorted thumbs throughout different folders (please see attached screenshots).

I can't debug a screenshot. I need a link to an actual, live album. But remember, the skin doesn't process the thumbnails. It has nothing to do with it. What you're seeing is almost always the result of failing to clear the browser cache.

I couldn’t figure out how to increase the space between album title and thumbs....

I've always assumed that people want to maximize the use of precious screen real estate, rather than putting large margins on things. Have some pity on the people viewing your album on a laptop! But if you want to move the thumbnail table down, head for Gromit > Code > CSS, and apply some top margin to the thumbnail table:
.gr-thumbs: margin-top:30px;
Play with the values to get what you want.

...and I would also like to move the "jAlbum-customizable image galleries, Gromit 51" and the copyright notice to the bottom of each page if possible.

I'll mull that over, but there's no quick fix. It would require some changes in the page structure.

The icing on the cake would be an integrated slideshow, any change there will be one in future Gromit versions?

Highly unlikely. Each slide is shown on a separate page, which doesn't lend itself to a timed slideshow. That would require passing information from one page to the next (what's the timing interval, has the show been paused, what's the name of the next page, and so on). Very, very messy. Timed slideshows work best with a skin that uses a lightbox to show the slide images, while never actually leaving the thumbnail page (see Matrix and Saturn, for example).
Panam

Posted: 17-Feb-2018 04:34   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I've just opened my album project in Opera instead of Safari with the same result. The blurry thumbnails are still blurry even after emptying the cache.
I guess I have to upload the albums and see how it goes.
Thanks again, jGromit!
jGromit

Posted: 17-Feb-2018 12:24   in response to: Panam in response to: Panam

I think that leaves only one possibility. You've probably told jAlbum to process only updated subdirectories, but then you've changed the thumbnail image bounds. Go to Album > Settings > Advanced > General. Do not check Process only updated subdirectories. Now Make Album and preview (again clearing browser cache).

Here's why that setting produces unexpected results. Say you've got a project with two folders, F1 and F2. You make a few changes to F2, like rewording a caption. Then you change the image bounds. When you click Make Album, jAlbum says, "Only F2 has been updated, so I won't bother processing F1." Both folders are now pointing to a shared CSS file that tells them how large to display the thumbnails. But the thumbnails in F1 haven't been rescaled to the new size.
Panam

Posted: 17-Feb-2018 16:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I've looked and "Process only updated subdirectories" is not checked.
The weird thing is that it's not a consistent thing, in some folders the thumbnails look fine and in others, they do not.
jGromit

Posted: 17-Feb-2018 17:13   in response to: Panam in response to: Panam

Well, I'm going to need to see a live album. Can't do any more blind guessing.
Panam

Posted: 18-Feb-2018 03:18   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Okay, I understand! I'll get back to you as soon as I've uploaded my albums. Thanks!
steffiklose

Posted: 27-Feb-2018 21:21   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hi,
I uploaded one of my albums to a temporary site http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/1859482
so you can have a look at it.
The thumbnails in the first two folders, Germany and Eastern Europe are fine, but all other thumbnails are blurry and distorted.
I hope this gives you a better idea what’s going on.
Thanks again so much for your help!
Panam

Posted: 27-Feb-2018 21:26   in response to: steffiklose in response to: steffiklose

Sorry, my last post came up with my mom's profile instead of mine (Panam)
jGromit

Posted: 27-Feb-2018 21:36   in response to: Panam in response to: Panam

Panam wrote:
Sorry, my last post came up with my mom's profile instead of mine (Panam)

Yes, I wondered about that for a moment. :)

Most of the thumbnails appear to be left over from a previous album build, using different thumbnail image bounds. So, the skin is trying to show a thumbnail as 160x160 pixels, but the actual thumbnail image is only 124x82 pixels. When that happens, of course, things get blurry, distorted, and ugly really quickly!

Not sure why jAlbum didn't rebuild the thumbnails. You're not choosing Make Changes, are you? That doesn't do what it sounds like it does (it doesn't produce newly-processed images even when it needs to), and should almost never be used. Normally, just clicking Make Album will do the right thing.

The quick fix this time is to choose Make All, which forces jAlbum to produce new images. Then clear your browser cache when previewing the album.
Panam

Posted: 27-Feb-2018 22:34   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

You've mentioned before how important it is to use Make Album and clear the cache and since then I always do that.
I made the album over and over again, cleared the cache, again and again, used different browsers but the thumbnails stay blurry.
All pictures in this album came from the same folder...
I've also compared the settings with other albums, but couldn't find anything there either.
Any more ideas?
jGromit

Posted: 27-Feb-2018 22:36   in response to: Panam in response to: Panam

As I said, please use Album > Make All. This will force the issue.
Panam

Posted: 27-Feb-2018 22:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I feel really stupid now and I have to apologize! I only thought I use Make all.
That took care of the problem like you said it would.
Everything is looking perfect now.
Thank you so much again, I couldn't have done it without all your help!
jGromit

Posted: 27-Feb-2018 22:49   in response to: Panam in response to: Panam

Going forward, you shouldn't have to use Make All again. That's sort of a sledgehammer to correct weird little problems like this, and it chews up a lot of time and uploading bandwidth, since all of the image files are "new."

I'm still not sure why jAlbum wasn't reprocessing those thumbnail images by itself - it really should have!
Panam

Posted: 27-Feb-2018 23:01   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I'm using jAlbum for such a long time and in my opinion, there isn't anything comparable on the market.
I always have to struggle my way through and I mess up things a lot, but it so worth it!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums