This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 14 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 26-Jan-2018 23:14 Last Post By: PaulWhiting
PaulWhiting

catching up
Posted: 26-Jan-2018 00:29

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I don't know if this belongs in the Turtle section, if not please move it but let me know where you move it. Thanks!

My website's been running smoothly for the past couple of years but today I wanted to make some changes... I've forgotten a lot how to edit jAlbum.

First, if you look at the work space of my site, my website is listed twice but they seem the same. How come?! (www.paulwhitingphotography.com)

Occasionally my title's font is narrow and there are spaces between the words. Also, the folders are listed at the bottom but they used to be at the top, where I'd prefer them to be.

Sometimes my titles in the work space are blue... why is this? And sometimes they're not centered.

Thanks for helping me get back on track!

Regards,

Paul
jGromit

Re: catching up
Posted: 26-Jan-2018 02:07   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

Attachment ss003701.png (138.2 KB)
PaulWhiting wrote:
First, if you look at the work space of my site, my website is listed twice but they seem the same. How come?!

You've probably saved the album project under two different names. They might be in different directories, or you might have saved the project file with a different name. Mouse-hover on the thumbnail for each project in the "recent projects" list on the left, and you should see some difference between the two entries.

Occasionally my title's font is narrow and there are spaces between the words.

The appearance of titles in the jAlbum Explore view has nothing to do with how they look in the completed album.

Also, the folders are listed at the bottom but they used to be at the top, where I'd prefer them to be.

The location of the folders in the jAlbum Explore view doesn't really matter. Turtle automatically puts the folders at the top. See Turtle > Thumbnails > Layout > Item order.

Sometimes my titles in the work space are blue... why is this? And sometimes they're not centered.

Again, how the titles look in the Explore view has nothing to do with how they will look in the completed album. If you tell jAlbum to show you the titles for each item in the project, it uses a blue font. See ss003701, attached. But that's just for the Explore view. You're not looking at the finished album until you choose Preview.
jGromit

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 02:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

To clarify further, when you open a jAlbum project, and you're in the Explore view, you're not looking at the album - you're just looking at the list of ingredients that will be used to build the album. Only when you click on Preview (upper right) will you see what the album will look like.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 14:25   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

BTW, there's an omission in my OP. It now reads "there are spaces between the words".

Make that "... there are NO spaces"....

Thank you, I'll work on it some more and let you know how it goes.

Paul
jGromit

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 14:41   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

Attachment ss003702.png (48.8 KB)
PaulWhiting wrote:
Make that "... there are NO spaces"....

If you're seeing no space, you're probably looking at the raw file or folder names, rather than the title or comment. See screenshot.

But to repeat, what you're seeing is not the album - it's just the project contents.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 18:47   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

It was quite helpful to understand the difference between the Explore and Preview views. This worked for a while, but now I'm getting narrow fonts and bottom of the page folder tabs when I'm in Preview (the About folder and so on...)

Sorry!

Edited by: PaulWhiting on 26-Jan-2018 10:48

Edited by: PaulWhiting on 26-Jan-2018 10:49
jGromit

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 18:54   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting
Helpful
Attachment ss003703.png (195.2 KB)
Remember, the About, Contact, etc. objects are not "folders." They're "pages." So, look at Turtle > Thumbnails > Layout > Items order. If you want those pages at the top, choose Pages > Folders > Images.

The font appears to be identical to everything else on the page, so I'm not sure what you're after, there. Can you post a screenshot that shows the problem? Attached is what I'm seeing.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 19:30   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

That was quite helpful, I moved my pages to the top... great! However, over my whole website the fonts are smaller and narrower. Somehow the font got changed a bit. As a result I'm getting more folders to a line. Now that I know how to work with the skin (have to confess I've never done that) maybe I can tweak the fonts more to my liking. I won't include a screenshot just yet... I use the Windows 10 app called "Snip" and not sure how that would work here.

I'm also not sure when Turtle is involved and when jAlbum itself takes the lead.

So I may be a while playing with the fonts... stay tuned!

Paul
jGromit

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 20:45   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting
Helpful
Turtle has a few ways to tinker with the fonts. See Turtle > Design > Fonts. Some fonts are naturally more "spread out" than others, so all you can do is experiment a bit.

The default for the album and folder titles is Oswald, which is pretty narrow. Something like Baskerville, Century Gothic, or Geneva would breathe a bit more. The folder description uses the other default, Trebuchet MS. There, too, you could try a few of the others. Lots of other choices, of course - you might want to create a little test album with just a couple of images in a single folder, just to play with. Hours of amusement. ;)
PaulWhiting

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 20:52   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Good tips!

In Turtle, I've learned how to make my text white - the grey was too grey, hard to read (maybe it was my monitor), and I also made the hover color a bright yellow.

Feels good to begin to get a handle on this software.
jGromit

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 21:01   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

The comments below the slide images are already left-aligned. If you also want the folder description/comment to be left-aligned, head for Turtle > Advanced > CSS and enter this:
.folders .caption {text-align: left}
PaulWhiting

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 21:10   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I thought I could figure that out so I deleted it. But you were too quick for me! Good thing you did, I doubt I could have found the answer.
jGromit

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 21:16   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

Yeah, there's no setting for it, so you need to know how to poke around in Laza's incredibly dense CSS. I get it right no more than about half the time. ;)
PaulWhiting

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 21:17   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Anyway, I just made that tweak... worked like a charm!
PaulWhiting

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 23:14   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

Very helpful and rapid responses from jGromit. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future but I don't want to raise them here. I'd be kicked off for Thread Drift!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums