This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 11-Jan-2018 17:16 Last Post By: philwinter
philwinter

Resolution Issue
Posted: 08-Jan-2018 00:14

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello, I created a slide show on my desktop PC which has a resolution of 1680 x 1050. The slide images are 640 x 640. I uploaded the show to my Web site. The show, using the turtle skin, works perfectly. However, when I pull up my show on my laptop, The images are so large that I cannot view the menu bar at the top when I hover the cursor, nor can I see the comments, even if I could click the "i" in the menu bar. It's also impossible to pause the show.

Several others have view my slide show on line, and said they did not have a problem, but I don't know what kind of computer they were using. Is there any way to make the show display properly regardless of the compter's resolution and aspect ratio?

Here's the show - a trip on Route 66.
http://philwinterphotography.com/route_66_2017/
davidekholm

Re: Resolution Issue
Posted: 08-Jan-2018 12:27   in response to: philwinter in response to: philwinter

The Tiger skin, Turtle's successor should be better at this, or what do you say Laza?
Laza

Posted: 08-Jan-2018 13:35   in response to: philwinter in response to: philwinter

The control bar and the info bar at the bottom are absolutely positioned items. So they must not positioned beyond the screen border. If you bump into this, then the page is possible embedded through an iframe, so the skin does not position the elements to the browser window, instead the predefined iframe size, which can be larger than the screen. This results in a very poor user experience, so I always advice against using the embedding. The linked page works fine here in any browser size, so I guess it's not the same page you are referring to.
jGromit

Posted: 08-Jan-2018 14:54   in response to: philwinter in response to: philwinter
Helpful
philwinter wrote:
The slide images are 640 x 640.

Why are you making the slide images so small? The result is that on a large monitor, you're allowing the browser to enlarge the images beyond their actual dimensions, which harms the clarity of the image. Browsers are good at showing images at less than their actual dimensions, but have trouble going in the other direction, since they have to "guess" about how to provide the mixing pixels.

Some suggestions: first, feed jAlbum your full-sized originals, and use image bounds that are more flexible, like 1600x750, so that visitors with large monitors get a good show. But then, under Turtle > Images > Behavior, choose Fit images to browser, Shrink only, and Don't allow panels to cover the images in Fit mode.
philwinter

Posted: 08-Jan-2018 21:05   in response to: philwinter in response to: philwinter

Thanks Everyone! I'll try Gromit's idea and let you know what happens.
philwinter

Posted: 10-Jan-2018 18:37   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the information. However, my show still does not display properly (menu bar and comments never appear) on my Dell laptop. I would like to connect my laptop to my TV so I can show it to groups, and use it in my photography classes.

First, I checked "Link to Originals," but the images were so large that they took forever to display. Next, I set image size to 1024 x 1024 and checked "Link to Scaled Down Images," which solved to loading problem. I also checked "Fit Image to Browser" and "Shrink Only."

At that point, the show displayed properly on my desktop, but still malfunctioned on my laptop. I even changed the aspect ratio on my laptop to (1024 x 768) to match the aspect ratio of my desktop (1680 x 1050). Still behaved the same. I'm using Firefox on both machines, but it doesn't work in Chrome, either. Thanks for any additional assistance.
Laza

Posted: 11-Jan-2018 08:28   in response to: philwinter in response to: philwinter

As far as I can see you are still using Turtle 3.4, which is rather old. Could you please update the skin so we are talking about the same thing as we have?
https://jalbum.net/en/skins/skin/Turtle

The album should fit to the browser. Does the browser fit to your desktop? What happens if you maximize the browser (F11)?

If the album doesn't work in Chrome can you please tell what does it do instead? Do you see some error message in the browser's developer tools (F12)?
philwinter

Posted: 11-Jan-2018 17:16   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Thanks Laza, I'll try your suggestions and get back to you. As far as Chrome is concerned, it behaves just like Firefox does on the laptop. That is, moving the mouse doesn't display the menu. Everything works fine on my Desktop, and I've received reports from other viewers who say it is working fine. So far, only my laptop is behaving this way that I know of.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums