This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 08-Jan-2018 12:29 Last Post By: davidekholm
ctwist

Unnecessary encoding of videos
Posted: 07-Jan-2018 23:37

Click to reply to this thread Reply
If Video Support is enabled, but the skin is not compatible (i.e. skin.properties contains "fullVideoSupport=false"), when the album is generated, jAlbum encodes the video.

Is this intentional?

If a new skin does not support videos, why waste time processing the video?

If an old skin (e.g. BluPlusPlus) handles videos in its own way, why should jAlbum waste time processing the video?

You could say "If you don't want the video encoded, turn off video support." However, I switch between skins and albums, and I cannot remember to enable or disable video support for each album generation. This should be handled automatically.

My recommendation is that videos should only be encoded to mp4 if the skin has "fullVideoSupport=true" and video support is enabled.

Edited by: ctwist on 07-Jan-2018 17:43
Clarification: Added "and video support is enabled" to the final sentence.
jGromit

Re: Unnecessary encoding of videos
Posted: 07-Jan-2018 23:59   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

I'd vote for that. It might break some legacy skins that actually can handle videos, but whose skin.properties files haven't been properly updated to reflect that fact, but off-hand, I can't think of one.

As an alternative, how about making the choice of enabling video support a project setting, rather than a jAlbum preference? Not as automatic, but still effective.
ctwist

Posted: 08-Jan-2018 00:22   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
As an alternative, how about making the choice of enabling video support a project setting, rather than a jAlbum preference? Not as automatic, but still effective.
I doubt that a typical user would need to disable video support. Leave it turned on, and it will only take effect if fullVideoSupport=true.

You took a full 22 minutes to reply to my message (very tardy by your standards). I assume that you tested a few scenarios. The developers and support team are the only people who would want to turn off video support (just to see how it behaves).
RobM

Posted: 08-Jan-2018 10:47   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

ctwist wrote:
jGromit wrote:
I doubt that a typical user would need to disable video support. Leave it turned on, and it will only take effect if fullVideoSupport=true.

You took a full 22 minutes to reply to my message (very tardy by your standards). I assume that you tested a few scenarios. The developers and support team are the only people who would want to turn off video support (just to see how it behaves).

It’s only taken just over four years for this to resurface and the warning notice would seem overdue ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 08-Jan-2018 12:29   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Just leave video support on please :-)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums