Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 48 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 19-Mar-2018 22:18 Last Post By: jGromit
davidekholm

Re: Improve jAlbum for backups and use with external drives
Posted: 04-Jan-2018 12:20   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:

I gave an example.
? Where?

In this forum where I explained how a relative link breaks if you move the image directory without moving the output directory correspondingly.
AndreWolff

Posted: 04-Jan-2018 15:38   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
In this forum where I explained how a relative link breaks if you move the image directory without moving the output directory correspondingly.
You are not reading my comment or don’t understand my comment.
But more comment is useless, because you are not going to change anything to make jAlbum more user friendly!
jGromit

Posted: 04-Jan-2018 15:40   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

davidekholm wrote:
Say that you move the image directory but not the output directory, now the path is broken between them if it's a relative path.
jGromit

Posted: 04-Jan-2018 17:07   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Let's consider the relationship of the project directory and the location of the source images or the output directory (different cases, but they suffer from exactly the same problems). Preference is set to link to source images, rather than copying them into the project directory. Output directory is not simply project directory/album.

Path to source images or output directory is relative:

• Move project directory: links broken.
  • Move source directory or output directory: links broken.
  • Move both directories, but maintain relative position: links OK.

Path to source images or output directory is absolute:

• Move project directory: links OK.
  • Move source directory or output directory: links broken.
  • Move both directories, but maintain relative position: links broken.

Conclusion: no matter which way you do it, there are two failure modes. They're different, but neither is better than the other.

In either situation, if directories are on different physical drives, relative links are not possible in Windows. The OS doesn't really have a usable "root" location. Drive letters are absolute.

Last but not least, if you use the jAlbum default settings, in which source images are copied into the project, and in which the output directory is within the project, you can move the project anywhere without breaking any links at all. The location of the source images no longer matters, and the output moves with the project.
AndreWolff

Posted: 06-Mar-2018 19:42   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Please give me the required Windows 10 commands for my system:

I have all my jAlbum data on the D: disk:

All image folders are sub-folders of D:\Users\Public\Pictures

My output folders of for the jAlbum server are sub-folders of D:\Users\Andre\Documents\Mijn websites\jalbum.net

My output folders for my own server are sub-folders of D:\Users\Andre\Documents\Mijn websites\andrewolff.nl

The jAlbum project file is saved in the image directory.

So here are two example projects:

Image folder: D:\Users\Public\Pictures\LR\Pieterpad
Output folder: D:\Users\Andre\Documents\Mijn websites\jalbum.net\Pieterpad_PS
Project file: D:\Users\Public\Pictures\LR\Pieterpad\PhotoSwipe.jap

Image folder: D:\Users\Public\Pictures\Stadswandelingen
Output folder: D:\Users\Andre\Documents\Mijn websites\andrewolff.nl\FotoSerie\Stadswandelingen
Project file: D:\Users\Public\Pictures\Stadswandelingen\PhotoSwipe.jap

I copy my Pictures directory to my external drive G: so now are all image folders sub-folders of G:\Pictures

I copy also my output folders to G:\Users\Andre\Documents\Mijn websites\jalbum.net and
G:\Users\Andre\Documents\Mijn websites\andrewolff.nl

What are the commands to use my external G drive without changing anything to the other files on drive C:?
davidekholm

Posted: 07-Mar-2018 11:49   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff

Posted: 07-Mar-2018 19:17   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Have you attempted to follow the rather clear directions on https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/ ?
Yes, to use that I should issue command
C:\> mklink /D Users G:\Users
and that is not accepted because D:/Users exists on my PC drive.

To use mklink, I have to change my directory structure.

There was no problem at all if jAlbum did use relative links!
davidekholm

Posted: 07-Mar-2018 20:16   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Have you attempted to follow the rather clear directions on https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/ ?
Yes, to use that I should issue command
C:\> mklink /D Users G:\Users
and that is not accepted because D:/Users exists on my PC drive.

To use mklink, I have to change my directory structure.

There was no problem at all if jAlbum did use relative links!

Just link the Pictures folder and ensure there is no Picture folder in the source location
AndreWolff

Posted: 07-Mar-2018 23:12   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Just link the Pictures folder and ensure there is no Picture folder in the source location
.?? The picture folder is also a subdirectory of the users folder as you can see above, so I don’t understand what you mean.
But why don’t you give the exact mklink command(s)?

Edit
My configuration description above contains an error, de line
“I copy my Pictures directory to my external drive G: so now are all image folders sub-folders of G:\Pictures” should read as
“I copy my Pictures directory to my external drive G: so now are all image folders sub-folders of G:\Users\Public\Pictures”

Edited by: AndreWolff on 07-Mar-2018 23:15
davidekholm

Posted: 09-Mar-2018 15:11   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Well, just delete the Pictures folder under your C drive, then open a command window with Administrator rights and go the parent folder of the deleted Pictures folder. Now issue the mklink command:

mklink /d Pictures G:\Users\Public\Pictures
davidekholm

Posted: 09-Mar-2018 15:12   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I guess this should work too:
mklink /d C:\Users\Public\Pictures G:\Users\Public\Pictures
(after deleting the Pictures folder under C: that is)
AndreWolff

Posted: 09-Mar-2018 17:47   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Well, just delete the Pictures folder under your C drive, then open a command window with Administrator rights and go the parent folder of the deleted Pictures folder. Now issue the mklink command:

mklink /d Pictures G:\Users\Public\Pictures
I think, because my original files are in D:\Users\Public\Pictures, the command should be
mklink /d D:\Pictures G:\Users\Public\Pictures

But this is not working correctly: the album is created in
D:/Users/Andre/Documents/Mijn websites/jalbum.net/Pieterpad_PS
instead of on the external disk
G:/Users/Andre/Documents/Mijn websites/jalbum.net/Pieterpad_PS
as expected.
AndreWolff

Posted: 09-Mar-2018 17:48   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
I guess this should work too:
mklink /d C:\Users\Public\Pictures G:\Users\Public\Pictures
(after deleting the Pictures folder under C: that is)
I think, because my original files are in D:\Users\Public\Pictures, the command should be
mklink /d D:\Users\Public\Pictures G:\Users\Public\Pictures

But this is also not working correctly: the album is created in
D:/Users/Andre/Documents/Mijn websites/jalbum.net/Pieterpad_PS
instead of on the external disk
as expected.

Edit1:

I get the same result if I remove the symbolic link, so the mklink command is useless!

Edited by: AndreWolff on 09-Mar-2018 17:54

Edit2:

The output directory field on the external disk album contains the absolute link

D:\Users\Andre\Documents\Mijn websites\jalbum.net\Pieterpad_PS

If I replace that by a relative link:

..\..\..\..\Andre\Documents\Mijn websites\jalbum.net\Pieterpad_PS

the album is generated in

However there are 2 problems:

1. If the album generation is ready, the Preview and Upload buttons are disabled (see screenshot).
2. Files which were copied by hand like a map.kml file are deleted!

Although I don't see these two problems with the files on my D: disk and also not on my backup external disk.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 09-Mar-2018 19:44
davidekholm

Posted: 09-Mar-2018 21:15   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Man, you're surely messing things up :-(. You make a symbolic link to your "Pictures" folder, but then complain about where your album projects are created. These are different things. You can change where jAlbum creates album projects or web folders under Preferences OR make another symbolic link to map "D:/Users/Andre/Documents/Mijn websites" to "G:/Users/Andre/Documents/Mijn websites" too
AndreWolff

Posted: 09-Mar-2018 23:25   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Man, you're surely messing things up :-(. You make a symbolic link to your "Pictures" folder, but then complain about where your album projects are created.
Thanks for your “friendly” reply. You should better read my original question:

What are the commands to use my external G drive without changing anything to the other files on drive G:?

This implies too that the output comes on the corresponding output directory on the external disk, which was no problem at all if you used relative links!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums