This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 18 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: 04-Jan-2018 17:07 Last Post By: jGromit
davidekholm

Re: Improve jAlbum for backups and use with external drives
Posted: 04-Jan-2018 12:20   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Click to reply to this thread Reply
AndreWolff wrote:

I gave an example.
? Where?

In this forum where I explained how a relative link breaks if you move the image directory without moving the output directory correspondingly.
AndreWolff

Posted: 04-Jan-2018 15:38   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
In this forum where I explained how a relative link breaks if you move the image directory without moving the output directory correspondingly.
You are not reading my comment or don’t understand my comment.
But more comment is useless, because you are not going to change anything to make jAlbum more user friendly!
jGromit

Posted: 04-Jan-2018 15:40   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

davidekholm wrote:
Say that you move the image directory but not the output directory, now the path is broken between them if it's a relative path.
jGromit

Posted: 04-Jan-2018 17:07   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Let's consider the relationship of the project directory and the location of the source images or the output directory (different cases, but they suffer from exactly the same problems). Preference is set to link to source images, rather than copying them into the project directory. Output directory is not simply project directory/album.

Path to source images or output directory is relative:

• Move project directory: links broken.
  • Move source directory or output directory: links broken.
  • Move both directories, but maintain relative position: links OK.

Path to source images or output directory is absolute:

• Move project directory: links OK.
  • Move source directory or output directory: links broken.
  • Move both directories, but maintain relative position: links broken.

Conclusion: no matter which way you do it, there are two failure modes. They're different, but neither is better than the other.

In either situation, if directories are on different physical drives, relative links are not possible in Windows. The OS doesn't really have a usable "root" location. Drive letters are absolute.

Last but not least, if you use the jAlbum default settings, in which source images are copied into the project, and in which the output directory is within the project, you can move the project anywhere without breaking any links at all. The location of the source images no longer matters, and the output moves with the project.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums