This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 16-Dec-2017 23:12 Last Post By: katzgraber
katzgraber

Minimal skin image comments
Posted: 16-Dec-2017 14:45

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello!

Sorry if this is obvious, but this is my first post. Note that I use JAlbum only in command line mode and never use the GUI, so please be patient with me... I have been trying to get the minimal skin to display some text (caption) below the individual photos in the slides. If I look at the slide.htt file, there seems to be some text in there

<%-- Comment below image --%>
<ja:if test="<%=slideImageComment && !comment.equals("")%>">
${comment}
</ja:if>

If I run JAlbum with

slideImageComment true, I still do not see the text below the photos. Either this is not the right flag to set, or I am storing the comments in a wrong file format / file. Any advice appreciated!

Thanks, Helmut.
katzgraber

Re: Minimal skin image comments
Posted: 16-Dec-2017 14:56   in response to: katzgraber in response to: katzgraber

problem resolved...
katzgraber

Posted: 16-Dec-2017 14:57   in response to: katzgraber in response to: katzgraber

turns out, from the ancient version of JAlbum I had to the current one the file format where the comments are stored changed...
jGromit

Posted: 16-Dec-2017 15:02   in response to: katzgraber in response to: katzgraber

The slideImageComment variable defaults to true, so that's not the problem. The format of the comments.properties file is very simple - just be careful about things like equals signs. I also have a dim recollection of embedded newlines creating havoc.
mydog.jpg=My Dog Sparky
mycat.jpg=My Cat Boots
However, in fiddling with this, I've discovered a nasty bug in the Minimal script. I'm surprised you can build a Minimal album from the command line at all - when I tried it, it blew up pretty spectacularly. At least this time, it's not my code, but the code produced by a higher authority. I'm looking at you, David! I'll post a patch....
katzgraber

Posted: 16-Dec-2017 15:05   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

thanks! yup, it does build from the command line. :)
RobM

Posted: 16-Dec-2017 15:25   in response to: katzgraber in response to: katzgraber

katzgraber wrote:
Note that I use JAlbum only in command line mode and never use the GUI
I’m curious as to why you never use the GUI, if you don’t mind answering.
Also, does the help page need anything more for users like you?
katzgraber

Posted: 16-Dec-2017 15:29   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

The reasons I do not use the GUI are (i) I am an old *nix fart who prefers command line tools and (ii) the photos live on a server and I typically will access the server from my laptop at home. For this, connecting via SSH is easier and so I prefer command line access.

The help pages are pretty complete. In this case, it was just my stupidity of not paying attention to the new (imagine how old the software version is I was using before...) file format for the comments.

Thanks!
jGromit

Posted: 16-Dec-2017 15:35   in response to: katzgraber in response to: katzgraber

katzgraber wrote:
...imagine how old the software version is I was using before...

Yes, I was wondering about that. I've been kicking around here for over a decade, and don't recall any other format for storing comments.
katzgraber

Posted: 16-Dec-2017 15:42   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Just checked... 2003...
jGromit

Posted: 16-Dec-2017 15:42   in response to: katzgraber in response to: katzgraber

Let me guess - punch cards, right? Or paper tape? ;)
katzgraber

Posted: 16-Dec-2017 15:44   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

:-p
RobM

Posted: 16-Dec-2017 16:30   in response to: katzgraber in response to: katzgraber

katzgraber wrote:
The reasons I do not use the GUI are (i) I am an old *nix fart who prefers command line tools and (ii) the photos live on a server and I typically will access the server from my laptop at home. For this, connecting via SSH is easier and so I prefer command line access.

The help pages are pretty complete. In this case, it was just my stupidity of not paying attention to the new (imagine how old the software version is I was using before...) file format for the comments.

Thanks!

The help page has not been update for three years, since around jAlbum 12! I’ll have a look to see what needs updating as there have been several UI changes.
RobM

Posted: 16-Dec-2017 23:06   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I have updated the list of current parameters and their defaults, there are a lot of new settings.

It might be worth looking at other help pages to keep up to date, for example Settings/Pages as this shows that linking to hi-res images is no longer available for new projects.

Another change is -suppressIEWarnings true. This was (going to be) made ineffective, see this post, so I'd have thought it would have now defaulted to false.
katzgraber

Posted: 16-Dec-2017 23:12   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

cool, thanks!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums