This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 15-Dec-2017 18:18 Last Post By: jGromit
jGromit

User-generated hints.jap
Posted: 14-Feb-2010 23:48

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Take a look at this thread: http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=34017&tstart=0

It got me thinking. It would be handy for a user who uses several skins to be able to save a custom hints.jap for each skin without having to edit the file manually, which can be confusing if you're not familiar with the skin's variable names. Installing a new version of a skin also overwrites that file.

The file, e.g., userhints.chameleon.jap or userhints.fotoplayer.jap, would be called up whenever the user chose that skin.
davidekholm

Re: User-generated hints.jap
Posted: 16-Feb-2010 17:23   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I guess the tricky thing is if the UI is to allow the user to decide what settings to save. All settings?
jGromit

Posted: 16-Feb-2010 17:25   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Yes, I think so. In effect, it would be like "save as default," except for the choice of skin and style. It's more like "save as default" than it is like the normal use of hints.jap.
jGromit

Posted: 06-Nov-2013 15:29   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I've come to think that this is more important than I used to believe. It should be implemented by the possibility for the user to create a defaults.jap file in each skin directory. So, there would be one "master" defaults.jap, which selects the skin for new projects, but also a defaults.jap at the skin level so that when the user selects that skin, it comes up with his preferred settings.

Tricky to handle the bundled skins, of course.
jGromit

Posted: 15-Dec-2017 17:03   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Good things come to those who wait. Six years, ten months. Is this a record?
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Dec-2017 18:14   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Yes, tell it to André! ;-)
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Dec-2017 18:16   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

BTW, I already really like this feature! This allows me to set my favorite settings for the various skins I use when testing. Minimal for instance now defaults to showing file names and Turtle always uses hidpi images. It's embarrassing it took so long cause it was easy to implement.
jGromit

Posted: 15-Dec-2017 18:18   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Well yes, but see my latest post. Not quite solid yet. :(
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums