This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 4 Apr 17, 09:52 Last Post By: AndreWolff
AndreWolff

Add support for .svg files.
Posted: 30 Mar 17, 23:26

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Please add support for .svg files in such a way that all what is now possible with .png files is also possible with .svg files, see also this thread.
JeffTucker

Re: Add support for .svg files.
Posted: 31 Mar 17, 00:37   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

How would image bounds be applied to an SVG? Or should jAlbum convert the SVG to a JPG?
jimberry

Posted: 31 Mar 17, 06:17   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

While I can appreciate the benefit of being able to use vector graphics as navigation icons or logos etc. I can't imagine any demand for using them as primary content in what was conceived as an album generator for bitmaps of photos or paintings.
Java is not SVG friendly, and while there are third party libraries that do support SVG, the support is pretty flaky, and there are certainly some W3C validated SVG files that jAlbum as a Java program cannot easily display.
If there are legitimate reasons for making an album of SVG images, then I think most programs capable of outputting SVG can also export as PNG, so those few people (are there more than one?) who are likely to use SVGs in an album can easily convert them to PNGs for use in jAlbum.
That would allow the jAlbum team to concentrate on more useful improvements.
AndreWolff

Posted: 31 Mar 17, 08:31   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Attachment SS4-links.PNG (75.1 KB)
jimberry wrote:
While I can appreciate the benefit of being able to use vector graphics as navigation icons or logos etc. I can't imagine any demand for using them as primary content in what was conceived as an album generator for bitmaps of photos or paintings.
My main problem is not that jAlbum can't display .svg files as primary contents (although artists could make nice drawings with a .svg file).

I offer the possibility that a user defines his own custom icon for a link button (see attached screen shot). My problem is that .svg files in the skin res directory are automatically copied to the res directory in the output directory, but the .svg file to be used as custom icon in the user res directory in the image folder is not automatically copied to the res directory in the output directory.

I don't understand this exception, I think all user files in the user res directory in the image folder, independent of the file type, should be copied to the res directory in the output directory.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 04-Apr-2017 09:48:

Adding file type 'svg' to the filetypes.xml file solves the res copy problem, see at the end of this thread, so please add this in the next release of jAlbum.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums