This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.


Permlink Replies: 22 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: 20 Mar 19, 08:22 Last Post By: AnCa
AndreWolff

Posts: 2,184
Registered: 14-Dec-2007
Re: Add support for Android App
Posted: 2 Dec 14, 15:50   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
AnCa wrote:
Instead of improving the iOS app and also implement an Android app, we will probably improve the mobile/responsive version of the website instead (jalbum.net/mobile).
That is a bad idea, it is far better to develop skins which work both on iOS and Android devices, we do not need your mobile website in that case!

What people expect from such an app is that they can upload images and compose an album for all existing skins which support iOS and Android devices.
AnCa

Posts: 498
Registered: 25-Mar-2005
Re: Add support for Android App
Posted: 2 Dec 14, 16:21   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
AndreWolff wrote:
That is a bad idea, it is far better to develop skins which work both on iOS and Android devices, we do not need your mobile website in that case!
You are mixing up things here. I'm not talking about the mobile versions of the albums. I'm talking about the mobile/responsive version of the jalbum.net site.

What people expect from such an app is that they can upload images and compose an album for all existing skins which support iOS and Android devices.

You asked and got the answer "very basic skin support would suit me".

We won't make a mobile version of the jAlbum client in a forseable time. The web version of jAlbum (jalbum.net/create) is limited regarding skins, and the iOS version is even more limited. This is due to the limited resources we have. We need to focus on the jAlbum desktop version.
JeffTucker

Posts: 7,938
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: Add support for Android App
Posted: 2 Dec 14, 16:51   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
AnCa wrote:
We won't make a mobile version of the jAlbum client in a forseable time.

Given the restrictions on putting a Java application on iOS or Android, that would be a mammoth task, wouldn't it? For iOS, I believe you essentially have to use a third-party application that would recompile all of jAlbum in a form that Apple will allow (i.e., not Java). For Android, I think you'd need an emulator, and you'd have to "root" the device just to install it. And then what do you do about the various skins that have compiled Java routines?

In short, Java and mobiles is not a happy marriage.
AndreWolff

Posts: 2,184
Registered: 14-Dec-2007
Re: Add support for Android App
Posted: 2 Dec 14, 19:01   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
AnCa wrote:
You are mixing up things here. I'm not talking about the mobile versions of the albums. I'm talking about the mobile/responsive version of the jalbum.net site.

Do you mean the software behind the check-box 'Disable the automatic mobile version for this album.'? I always disable this because it prevents that good working responsieve skins for Android and iOS systems work!

This checkbox and the underlying software can be removed, because there are sufficient skins which work fine on these devices!

If jAlbum has limited development resources, they should certainly not spent it on that type of software!
AnCa

Posts: 498
Registered: 25-Mar-2005
Re: Add support for Android App
Posted: 3 Dec 14, 10:53   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
jGromit wrote:
AnCa wrote:
We won't make a mobile version of the jAlbum client in a forseable time.

Given the restrictions on putting a Java application on iOS or Android, that would be a mammoth task, wouldn't it?

Yes, that would probably require a complete rewrite of jAlbum. Including the skins...

It would probably be a lot easier to make the albums on a server and just use the app to edit and upload the images. But that would still be a lot of work...
AnCa

Posts: 498
Registered: 25-Mar-2005
Re: Add support for Android App
Posted: 3 Dec 14, 10:53   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
AndreWolff wrote:
AnCa wrote:
You are mixing up things here. I'm not talking about the mobile versions of the albums. I'm talking about the mobile/responsive version of the jalbum.net site.

Do you mean the software behind the check-box 'Disable the automatic mobile version for this album.'?

No.
Snapsh0t

Posts: 4
Registered: 17-Dec-2013
Re: Add support for Android App
Posted: 12 Dec 14, 18:28   in response to: clonny2 in response to: clonny2
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
A web-based approach wouldn't work for me. If I'm on, for example, a cruise ship, internet access is very slow and _very _ expensive so processing needs to be local. I'm prepared to carry even a 10" (25cm) tablet on board but not my 4kg laptop. I might have to investigate Windows tablets.....
AnCa

Posts: 498
Registered: 25-Mar-2005
Re: Add support for Android App
Posted: 29 Aug 15, 00:39   in response to: clonny2 in response to: clonny2
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
clonny2 wrote:
Now that there is an iPhone APP, how about an Android App?

It finally happened! Today we released a beta version of our new Android app! Read more here!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums